LISTEN: Reacting to John Lynch & Kyle Shanahan Presser + Injury Concerns Ahead of Camp →

There are 196 users in the forums

49ers sign DT Javon Hargrave

Shop Find 49ers gear online
kicking down doors
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Is there any other team in the league that has two DTs on contracts for 80+ million? Either way I think it will pay off and our Dline will be best in the league without question with the Hargrave addition

That's the beauty of rookie contracts at qb. We have three more seasons to do everything we can to win it all! After that, it'll be much more difficult. Thank god Purdy is getting paid Pennie's (relatively)

I think it's a good strategy to build a team around ALWAYS having a QB on a rookie contract. Mahomes and Brady are arguably the only two QBs worth 40-50 million.
Originally posted by All22:
Is there any other team in the league that has two DTs on contracts for 80+ million? Either way I think it will pay off and our Dline will be best in the league without question with the Hargrave addition

That's the beauty of rookie contracts at qb. We have three more seasons to do everything we can to win it all! After that, it'll be much more difficult. Thank god Purdy is getting paid Pennie's (relatively)

I think it's a good strategy to build a team around ALWAYS having a QB on a rookie contract. Mahomes and Brady are arguably the only two QBs worth 40-50 million.

Agree with both of you. Especially with what QBs are getting nowadays; the only time I would personally sign someone to that kind of money is generational guys that got rings during their rookie contract like the aforementioned. The Daniel Jones and Derek Carrs of the world and what they got is stupid and I'd draft two QBs and think one of them can perform at that level before giving that to them 😂
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
kicking down doors

And bringing QB's face down on the floor and putting cuffs on them!
  • thl408

Agree with both of you. Especially with what QBs are getting nowadays; the only time I would personally sign someone to that kind of money is generational guys that got rings during their rookie contract like the aforementioned. The Daniel Jones and Derek Carrs of the world and what they got is stupid and I'd draft two QBs and think one of them can perform at that level before giving that to them 😂

That's actually a good, sound strategy since it allows the team to be balanced - having a QB on a rookie contract. The hard part is finding multiple stud playmakers like the 49ers have been able to do, on both sides of the ball, so that the QB doesn't have to carry the team.
Originally posted by thl408:

That's actually a good, sound strategy since it allows the team to be balanced - having a QB on a rookie contract. The hard part is finding multiple stud playmakers like the 49ers have been able to do, on both sides of the ball, so that the QB doesn't have to carry the team.

That's one of the other beautiful things about this team, players like Hargrave want to play here and are willing to take less money to be here. I really hope when it comes time to extend Trey or Brock, they will keep this in mind and maybe take a Tom Brady approach to not having to be the highest paid in the league.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:

That's one of the other beautiful things about this team, players like Hargrave want to play here and are willing to take less money to be here. I really hope when it comes time to extend Trey or Brock, they will keep this in mind and maybe take a Tom Brady approach to not having to be the highest paid in the league.

I heard a statistic that no quarterback on a max contract has ever won the Super Bowl. Idk if mahommes broke that though, his contract was a lot but over a long period.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 22, 2023 at 1:06 PM ]
  • thl408

I heard a statistic that no quarterback on a max contract has ever won the Super Bowl. Idk if mahommes broke that though, his contract was a lot but over a long period.

Something about how if a QB takes up 12%(?) of the salary cap. Something like that. Those teams don't win Super Bowls. I think Drew Brees is the lone exception. Not sure how Mahomes 2022 figures into that.

Something about how if a QB takes up 12%(?) of the salary cap. Something like that. Those teams don't win Super Bowls. I think Drew Brees is the lone exception. Not sure how Mahomes 2022 figures into that.

Chiefs were smart they extended Mahomes super early and thus his contract doesn't look that bad considering. I thought it went back further than Brees. Brees got his big contract after winning the SB. It's why our window is now. Once you gotta break off Trey or Brock it gets a lot tougher. And either guy would be insane to give discount. Get your money.
Originally posted by lamontb:

Chiefs were smart they extended Mahomes super early and thus his contract doesn't look that bad considering. I thought it went back further than Brees. Brees got his big contract after winning the SB. It's why our window is now. Once you gotta break off Trey or Brock it gets a lot tougher. And either guy would be insane to give discount. Get your money.

Yeah Bree's was paid at the time but not max. That was a stat I saw during the season - so if Mahommes counts, he would be the first

If QBs would accept $25M- $32M instead of $40M+ -
They would have much more team success, I hope Purdy does similar to Brady and accepts less than he could get for the Better chance to win it all.

im all for players getting paid but he's so detrimental to success when they want as much as they can get. Lifestyle between $30M and $40M isn't much. I've actually accepted lower pay than I could of got in order to be in a work environment I enjoyed more. I can't be angry at them for doing it, but they make money in more ways than their salary.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 23, 2023 at 8:21 AM ]

Daniel Jones might be one of the greatest heist in sports history. Lmao talk about over paying. That man should give Daboll 50% of all his future earnings. Lol

Daniel Jones might be one of the greatest heist in sports history. Lmao talk about over paying. That man should give Daboll 50% of all his future earnings. Lol

That's facts seriously man I just don't get it

That's facts seriously man I just don't get it

Yeah he is an awful quarterback. People saying he had a decent year or a good year are delusional. Mainly bc they are comparing it to his past years which were almost as bad as Zach Wilson's. This guy is still a bad quarterback but a pretty good runner.
Originally posted by lamontb:

Quarterbacks are a tad different. QBs are so protected that if they are just good (not great) they can get 3rd abd 4th contracts higher than anything a player at any other position can make.

The discount is what allowed Brady to become the GOAT (among other things) because the team kept adding talent. Id feel a bit safer doing that with the 49ers than say the Cardinals if I were a top QB. I can be pretty sure they will give some good talent every year. Add in good playcallers on both sides of the ball and you can well be set up for long term success.

Its different if you are a RB- ABSOLUTELY NO DISCOUNT. Or any other position really. They aren't paid nearly as much, in spite of how good they are.

I once suggested that I wish Trey goes the short term discount- essentially a 2 year fully guaranteed deal that still allows him to become FA while young but we'd have held onto our top guys through their primes/best years and when we start replacing them, or their contract values come down, he could cash in for bigger after 2027.

I doubt this happens but one can always dream.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Mar 25, 2023 at 2:55 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone