LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 294 users in the forums

49ers sign DT Javon Hargrave

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Can't wait to see that "Kick the wall down" celebration with the D after every sack he gets 😎
Dude said a healthy Purdy would have changed the NFCCG.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Dude has a plethora of moves. Once he gets the leverage his acceleration looks unreal. His change of direction is super fast. So many times he steps one way then changes direction and it's a wrap.

I was just watching some of his plays and his change of direction is what stood out the most to me, very rarely does a person that big move like that.

I'm not concerned about playing double teams because he won't have to. The double will go to bosa and then armstead will gobble up a few guys. That will leave jackson and gravedigger to bury some souls. It's going to be amazing.

now we also have the top two run support/tackling CBs in the nfl. As long as Purdy/Lance play good ball, we will be a god damn nightmare. Only concern right now is RT and special teams. Very curious how the kicker situation will work out.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

He even mentioned how elusive our boy dirty Purdy is. *wipes tear* - it's a beautiful thing.
It would be pretty cool to see a unique goal line formation on offense where we use Hargreaves as the FB. He has amazing Burst and change of direction ability, he would obliterate ATLEAST two people and open a hole. Lol
Originally posted by pdc20:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by pdc20:
I don´t know how to feel about that one.
They need to re-sign Nick Bosa and Brandon Aiyuk. I know the cap will increase and that they have two rookies QB contracts to build the roster around but still that´s a lot of money for a DT. And quite frankly, I would have prefered they signed a big FA at the DE position or CB. And why didn´t they re-sign DJ Jones last year honestly?

But damn, Javon Hargrave is a great player and exactly what this team needs. And he was good with the Steelers and the Eagles. Maybe, they won´t sign a DE because they know what they have with Drake Jackson.

Jones is not even close to the player Hargrave is. Hargrave had more sacks last year than Jones has had in his career.

Yeah I know. I´m just saying that if you were gonna invest a big salary on a DT, maybe it would have been better to give 10 millions per year to DJ Jones and keep some flexibility financially for other positions like another CB or DE.
Javon Hargraves is a great player. I´m just concerned by what will happen with Aiyuk for example. At some point, there won´t be money for everyone. I´m not Paraag and I trust this FO. I´m just stunned they signed Javon Hargraves.

This front office tries to correct mistakes. This time last year, they were hopeful that Kinlaw was going to turn into something, which is partially they let Jones walk. Personally I think letting him walk was the right move, but it's the depending on Kinlaw that burned them. I definitely think they sign Aiyuk. A full year of Trey or Brock and this guy is going to explode. He knows the ball can come to him on any play now. With the way he gets open, look out.

If Aiyuk puts up the big year this year and can show out in the playoffs, I think he is the receiver I'd go with long term because he likely can play his game well into his 30s.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
How would you compare him to Buck?

They're very different. Defo was tall and struggled with pad level; Hargraves is a stumpy dude that's going to be the lowest-man almost every time. Defo was a one-trick pony with his signature swim move, but he was really good at that one trick. Hagraves is going to win in multiple ways with with multiple moves.

As much as I loved Defo, I much prefer my interior DL be built like Hargrave. A lot of winning inside is maintaining leverage and being explosive and balanced through contact. It's not as as much a finesse game as it is on the edge.
I love Buckner, but he was a little weaker against the run and at the time, we didn't have as much cap flexibility. I think Jason Hargrave will work out better for us, despite being older at the time of signing. By 2025, I'm not expecting us to have as many big contracts to contend with (Deebo, Trent, Armstead and Juice alone account for over 80 million I believe).

Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Originally posted by Heroism:
They're very different. Defo was tall and struggled with pad level; Hargraves is a stumpy dude that's going to be the lowest-man almost every time. Defo was a one-trick pony with his signature swim move, but he was really good at that one trick. Hagraves is going to win in multiple ways with with multiple moves.

As much as I loved Defo, I much prefer my interior DL be built like Hargrave. A lot of winning inside is maintaining leverage and being explosive and balanced through contact. It's not as as much a finesse game as it is on the edge.

Excellent post! Really enjoyed watching Buckner and the impact he had when he was here and now looking forward to seeing Hargrave on this DL.

Hero took the words out of my mouth. I'll add that Buckner is more physically imposing but Hargrave is more effective. Especially in this scheme.

I can't wait to see it. Hope we add two promising edge guys to take advantage of the luxury the other 3 guys will be offering. Drake Jackson is crazy athletic. I'd like to add a super athletic speed rusher. Given where we are drafting, this is likely going to be a developmental player that doesn't really have many pass rush moves and just relies on athleticism. A year or 2 in this system and we may have something. Then use another pick on an end that potentially play inside some downs. Between Jackson, Ferrell, the rookies, and hopefully a returning Jordan Willis, they will have never had it so easy.
The more and more I read up and watch this guys film, this might be the sneer signing the shanahan/lynch era has done!

Our d line has absolutely no weaknesses. I think he will have at least another 10 sack season. He's going to go nuts with bosa and armstead lined up along side him. This man is going to be ripping out QBs souls!!

Well yeah lol. We had to toss out Josh Johnson and then had no QB that could throw a football.

Clearly. Josh Johnson was not ready to play whatsoever.
The best way to describe him is as follows :
The man's a menace

- Judge Smails Caddyshack
[ Edited by elguapo on Mar 20, 2023 at 2:35 PM ]

Still love this signing. 😍😍😭😭
Is there any other team in the league that has two DTs on contracts for 80+ million? Either way I think it will pay off and our Dline will be best in the league without question with the Hargrave addition
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Is there any other team in the league that has two DTs on contracts for 80+ million? Either way I think it will pay off and our Dline will be best in the league without question with the Hargrave addition

That's the beauty of rookie contracts at qb. We have three more seasons to do everything we can to win it all! After that, it'll be much more difficult. Thank god Purdy is getting paid Pennie's (relatively)
i love that we used void years. Smart move and makes this a lot easier, I'm still shocked by this. Didn't expect it in a million years.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 21, 2023 at 2:49 PM ]
Originally posted by tankle104:
i love that we used void years. Smart move and makes this a lot easier, I'm still shocked by this. Didn't expect it in a million years.

Where there's a cap, there's a way.
Share 49ersWebzone