There are 306 users in the forums

Kudos to 49ers FO for dominating in the comp pick department for 23 and 24

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Wow just wow, 7 comp picks for 2023 draft.

2024 draft pick for carthon another 3rd round comp pick in the books, a potential 3rd rounder for Mcglinchey and numerous other ones potentially coming.
2025 draft pick for Ryans 3rd round

Great job.

Out of their 9 3rd round picks they've had since they've been here, Fred Warner was only one that panned out. Jury still out on Danny Gray but not off to great start.

Ahkello Witherspoon
CJ Beathard
Fred Warner
Tavarious Moore
Jalen Hurd
Trey Sermon
Ambry Thomas
TDP
Danny Gray

your right, lets just not pick
Originally posted by Stevec9932:

2024 draft pick for carthon another 3rd round comp pick in the books, a potential 3rd rounder for Mcglinchey and numerous other ones potentially coming.

Great job.

Out of their 9 3rd round picks they've had since they've been here, Fred Warner was only one that panned out. Jury still out on Danny Gray but not off to great start.

Ahkello Witherspoon
CJ Beathard
Fred Warner
Tavarious Moore
Jalen Hurd
Trey Sermon
Ambry Thomas
TDP
Danny Gray

your right, lets just not pick

Anyone wants bet they draft a RB?
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
Picks 99-102 gonna be lit

Great job.

Ahkello Witherspoon
CJ Beathard
Fred Warner
Tavarious Moore
Jalen Hurd
Trey Sermon
Ambry Thomas
TDP
Danny Gray

Witherspoon was a solid 3rd round pick.
Warner was an amazing 3rd round pick.
Thomas isn't trending in the right direction but without him we don't get to the NFC Championship game in 2021 and he has a chance to get back on track this season.
TDP and Gray are unknowns. People claimed Aaron Banks was a bust because he didn't play as a rookie.

Hurd's career ended cuz of injuries. By all accounts before that he looked like a talent. Sermon didn't make the cut due to other guys and clearly wasn't a great pick.

But as I'm sure others already pointed out bringing this up is pointless considering the success we've had later in the draft. I guess if the 49ers use those 3rd rounders to trade down into the 5th round we'll draft a bunch of pro bowlers as a result automatically right?
Originally posted by Kolohe:
So what qualifies as a good pick to you??

Witherspoon struggled in coverage and was injury prone.

Ambry Thomas a healthy scratch on defense time and time again. Even Dontae Johnson got more snaps than he did.

Moore, wasn't the CB they hoped for and didn't look like anything special at Safety. Also injury prone.

CJ Beathard, looked okay to begin his career and looked to be at least a #2 QB for the 9ers. Then as he started more and more he struggled bad.

A good pick to me especially when you start getting into the mid rounders are role players. Players that can start or maybe fill a key backup role tor you. I say that because I've been tracking and grading draft picks since 2010 and 25% of 3rd round picks are a C or above (A,B,C,D,F scale) which means 75% are either complete busts or backups.

Witherspoon is a starting caliber corner in the NFL. Yes he had his ups and downs but every corner has them in todays game. Thomas played well his rookie season especially down the stretch. I have no clue what happened to him in 2022.
I believe those # 99, 101 and 104 comp picks are the 4th , 6th and 7th picks in rd 3. That is outstanding. We also have 3 comps in rd 5, our Golden round. For a team that basically traded everything away, we came out of this pretty darn well, which means our scouting guys will once again have the onus on them to bring good pick recommendations to JL, KYle et al.
  • 91til
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I believe those # 99, 101 and 104 comp picks are the 4th , 6th and 7th picks in rd 3. That is outstanding. We also have 3 comps in rd 5, our Golden round. For a team that basically traded everything away, we came out of this pretty darn well, which means our scouting guys will once again have the onus on them to bring good pick recommendations to JL, KYle et al.

What? The comp picks are at the end of round 3. The fourth pick of round three would be 68 overall.
Originally posted by ChuckLeavy32:
Anyone wants bet they draft a RB?

Rb, blocking tight end with average hands, and prototype qb 🔒
  • dj43

Great job.

It speaks well to the way the franchise is viewed around the league. SF is a virtual factory for coaches and FO personnel. In addition to the obvious faces, John and Kyle, Jed York deserve some credit for getting out of the way and letting football guys run the show.
Originally posted by dj43:

Great job.

It speaks well to the way the franchise is viewed around the league. SF is a virtual factory for coaches and FO personnel. In addition to the obvious faces, John and Kyle, Jed York deserve some credit for getting out of the way and letting football guys run the show.

Ya definitely kudos to him. If that was me I'd be worse than Jerry Jones.

Originally posted by 91til:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

What? The comp picks are at the end of round 3. The fourth pick of round three would be 68 overall.

CBS…aka, cloudy brain syndrome. Mea culpa…

however, we have triplet picks in rds 3, 5 and 7 , where we have done uncannily well under kyle and JL. Good things have come out of those 3 rds and we have 3 picks in each. This is where our scouts have to shine and have done so for us to date.
Anyone know how many more comp picks we get in 24/25 from coaches/exec hires? Think we still have 2 or 3 third round comp picks coming our way over the next few years from minority hires. Not to mention we should get a good amount next year from our current FA class signing contracts else where. Mcglinchey, and Jimmy G are for sure gone and will sign $15+ mil a yr deals. Then possible FA's leaving are Eubukam, Charles E, Jimmy Ward, Brendel, Aziz, all should sign ~ $5-$12 mil a year deals if they don't return. Let's say we add 1 biggish FA signing this year like Mooney Ward was last year that will offset one of those FA's leaving but I think we should be looking at quite a large haul in comp picks coming our way in 2024 as well. Which is why I hope we trade up in the draft this year. We can use our own 3rd-4th rounders in 24/25 as well in any trade ups since we have several comps coming our way. Let's be aggressive and go up and get the players in the 2nd or early 3rd round we like this draft.
Niners get raided for coaches and players each offseason. It takes longer to gel as a team with new or different coaches each season and players. Maybe that is one reason for the slow start at the beginning of the season. It is hard to win the top seed in the conference with a dlow start so they have to travel in the playoffs
[ Edited by calvinshobbes on Mar 12, 2023 at 6:40 PM ]

Ahkello Witherspoon
CJ Beathard
Fred Warner
Tavarious Moore
Jalen Hurd
Trey Sermon
Ambry Thomas
TDP
Danny Gray

Awful. All the more reason they should trade up into the 2nd. They have a slightly better hit rate there
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

Ahkello Witherspoon
CJ Beathard
Fred Warner
Tavarious Moore
Jalen Hurd
Trey Sermon
Ambry Thomas
TDP
Danny Gray

Awful. All the more reason they should trade up into the 2nd. They have a slightly better hit rate there

This is painful to read before this years draft. Hope we change things this year.
Share 49ersWebzone