There are 268 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Awesome news!
Originally posted by Kolohe:
What players do you guys think he'll try to bring over??

Brian Burns
Originally posted by NYniner85:

We need a FS with our first pick probably
Very good hire. Now he has elite players to work with on defense. We will still be a top 5 defense even with the usual injuries.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
I like it. He does good work in the secondary. Essentially another experienced HC.

I like this comment, and I bring it up for a reason. I have no idea if Wilks does good work in the secondary, but I trust Gold49Digger that he does. But it does make me wonder a bit.

Is the news that now former 49ers DB coach Cory Undlin is going BYE-BYE have anything to do with the hiring of Wilks? As in "I have my own guy for this job." Or, "I do not agree with Hamlin's philosophy?" Or, is it simply "I don't like Hamlin?" Did Wilks request that the 49ers get rid of Hamlin before he took the gig?

Am I reading something that isn't printed?

Wilks's specialty is the secondary. Kyle probably asserted he must keep Kris K as DL coach, but Wilks is free to evaluate other position coaches to build his own staff, especially in his expert position.

You wouldn't sign Undlin to a new contract and then let the new DC make the call to keep or fire him. There's a sequence to it. My hunch is they'll look for another candidate to coach CBs.
Originally posted by Waterbear:

Any decent FA that fits his style?
Originally posted by GEEK:
I like it. He does good work in the secondary. Essentially another experienced HC.

I like this comment, and I bring it up for a reason. I have no idea if Wilks does good work in the secondary, but I trust Gold49Digger that he does. But it does make me wonder a bit.

Is the news that now former 49ers DB coach Cory Undlin is going BYE-BYE have anything to do with the hiring of Wilks? As in "I have my own guy for this job." Or, "I do not agree with Hamlin's philosophy?" Or, is it simply "I don't like Hamlin?" Did Wilks request that the 49ers get rid of Hamlin before he took the gig?

Wilks's specialty is the secondary. Kyle probably asserted he must keep Kris K as DL coach, but Wilks is free to evaluate other position coaches to build his own staff, especially in his expert position.

You wouldn't sign Undlin to a new contract and then let the new DC make the call to keep or fire him. There's a sequence to it. My hunch is they'll look for another candidate to coach CBs.

Thanks. Much appreciated. It just seems to me that the two are connected. As in Wilks informed Shanahan and Lynch to take care of the dirty work before his hire was announced. Then again, maybe I'm just seeing nothing.

EDIT: I expect Hufanga to become a BLITZ MACHINE if Wilks really does emphasize secondary play.
[ Edited by billbird2111 on Feb 7, 2023 at 11:43 AM ]
Originally posted by Waterbear:

Brandon Joseph out of Notre Dame might be worth checking out, especially where we're drafting.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Glad he's an older dude. that's gonna help.

How exactly is that going to help us?

• pdc20
  • Veteran
Wilks would not have been hired if he had asked Kyle to fire Undlin. It´s not Kyle MO to fire guys just because.
I think Undlin wanted to go somewhere else and maybe at Houston with DeMeco.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

Thanks. Much appreciated. It just seems to me that the two are connected. As in Wilks informed Shanahan and Lynch to take care of the dirty work before his hire was announced. Then again, maybe I'm just seeing nothing.

EDIT: I expect Hufanga to become a BLITZ MACHINE if Wilks really does emphasize secondary play.

Its all speculation at this point. Undlin is also in contention for DC positions, so why renew a contract when you got passed up for a promo after the work you did in the season (Gipson solid, Ward slot solid, Lenior development, Huf rise).

For example, John Benton went with Saleh in NY. Coached OL but got a title bump in the process.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Brandon Joseph out of Notre Dame might be worth checking out, especially where we're drafting.

• GEEK
  • Veteran
I'm mixed on the hire, but I trust Shanahan's judgment. He got a raw deal in ARI as HC, but he's had only brief stints as DC.
I'm mixed on the hire, but I trust Shanahan's judgment. He got a raw deal in ARI as HC, but he's had only brief stints as DC.

Shanahan has made a minority HC farm here. Wilks will be a HC in a season or two.
Share 49ersWebzone