LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 206 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • thl408
Originally posted by NCommand:
I wonder if we're going back to more C3 and the original personnel formula given we've brought in Oliver who'd be a taller/longer SCB and are looking at Lonnie Johnson Jr. who's 6'2" 210 as well.

I hope not. Those 6'2+ CBs, while having some perks of being long and tall, have limitations - unless you're able to find a rare blend of physical stature and athleticism. I guess we'll see whether they are looking to replace Lenoir (5'10) at RCB.
Originally posted by thl408:
I wonder if we're going back to more C3 and the original personnel formula given we've brought in Oliver who'd be a taller/longer SCB and are looking at Lonnie Johnson Jr. who's 6'2" 210 as well.

I hope not. Those 6'2+ CBs, while having some perks of being long and tall, have limitations - unless you're able to find a rare blend of physical stature and athleticism. I guess we'll see whether they are looking to replace Lenoir (5'10) at RCB.

I feel the same way. Just be excellent in coverage and be a really good tackler. Look how long it's taken Seattle to find quality long CB's. Yeah, that might be telling indeed.
Idk too much about wilks - I know he's had some great seasons as a defensive coach, he's been to two Super Bowls. I'm confident this guy will keep us in the top 3 (I expect 1st).

Anyone have any ideas about wrinkles he'll add to our system? I imagine he won't be making many changes to the scheme but he will put his stamp on it in some way.

from what I've read, he's extremely well respected by his players and coaches he's worked with. He was shafted by the cards and made an excellent case for him to stay in Carolina. I hope he gets to experience what it's like to work for a great franchise and how coaches should be treated by ownership, so when he gets his next chance, he's pickier about ownership.

I know he had a Rough first season in Arizona but I was shocked that he was fired after one season. Speaks volumes about why that organization has been a mess for 100 years
Wondering if the exit of so much dline depth means a change in how much we use wide 9. Omenihu, Ebukam, Willis, Ridgeway were rotational guys who knew the system. But maybe Wilks had less snaps for them in the coming season??
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Mar 21, 2023 at 1:54 AM ]
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Wondering if the exit of so much dline depth means a change in how much we use wide 9. Omenihu, Ebukam, Willis, Ridgeway were rotational guys who knew the system. But maybe Wilks had less snaps for them in the coming season??

I think Omenihu and ebukam just were too pricy for us based on their recent play. Willis and ridgeway played okay for us but seems like we wanted to get more well rounded guys for versatility. No idea though

Oh God no. The W9 is our bread and butter and Wilks signed off on Kocurek to take this role. We just need 1 or 2 more pieces and this DL (9-10 needed) is complete.

RDE: Nick Bosa; Clelin Ferrell & Alex Barrett
3T: Javon Hargrave; Kalia Davis
2i: Arik Armstead; Kevin Givens & Javon Kinlaw
LDE: Drake Jackson (add Melvin Ingram & Kerry Hyder?)

PS: Expect Hargrave and AA to rotate inside too.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 21, 2023 at 7:36 AM ]

Oh God no. The W9 is our bread and butter and Wilks signed off on Kocurek to take this role. We just need 1 or 2 more pieces and this DL (9-10 needed) is complete.

Not so fast.

Barrett ps guy..
Davis coming back from major knee surgery. Will he see 400 snaps? Up in the air.
Kinlaw probably has only one knee.
Hyder disappeared after november.

Im thinking were still signing guys here.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Mar 21, 2023 at 11:39 AM ]

We have McGill back too, who wasn't a bad depth guy.
I'm really excited to see his our D players respond to wilks. Everything I've read about him is that people just love him as a coach/man. So awesome.

he also has a great track record with DBs, so I'm hoping he gets the most out of ours - they're talented but outside of Ward, relatively new.

he's doing to lead us to #1 again and then I hope he stays. I'd love to have some stability at this position and a wise older coach to help Kyle with gameplan and all that.

but I feel like he will want more chance at his age and I hope he gets it! This guy deserves much better than he's ever got HC wise.
Not so fast.

Barrett ps guy..
Davis coming back from major knee surgery. Will he see 400 snaps? Up in the air.
Kinlaw probably has only one knee.
Hyder disappeared after november.

Im thinking were still signing guys here.

Oh true...not done yet. Still a little work left to do but we aren't moving off the W9.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:

We have McGill back too, who wasn't a bad depth guy.

You're right. Good catch!
Smart move by Shanahan-get a great minority assistant coach, and develop future comp. at the same time draft picks
Originally posted by picklejuice:
too bad we don't get any draft picks if WIlks becomes a HC next offseason....

Why not?

Kalia Davis is one of guys I'm most excited to follow this training camp. He seems to be a similar player to gravedigger physique wise and both are quick.
Originally posted by tankle104:

Kalia Davis is one of guys I'm most excited to follow this training camp. He seems to be a similar player to gravedigger physique wise and both are quick.

Absolutely. Keep your eye on him. He has a strong D.J. Jones-like skill set and now he's learning from Kocurek, Hargrave, AA, Bosa, etc. He could become a very talented rotational piece for us extending longevity for AA and Hargrave.
Share 49ersWebzone