LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 286 users in the forums

Jake Moody-K-Michigan 3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Can someone explain the rule to me please lol. So all they have to do is call a fair catch and they get it on the 25? That's for kick offs and punts? I'm confused

edit: think I just figured it out.

So on a kickoff, if you kick it to the 4 yard line they can just fair catch it and get it on the 25? f**king lame.

so kick returners are almost useless now & having moody being able to boot it out of the end zone doesn't matter as much lol Jesus

Yep. At this point they might aswell get rid of kickoffs if everybody just starts fqairq catching every kick off. I was reading that concussions were up again on kick offs due to teams kicking the ball short. Guys are still gonna try to return it unless coached otherwise
That seemed to be central reason given by the NFL in making this change. Player safety.

They are gonna start two hand touching these QBs, the way this is going. Which means no more QB injury, and the 49er dynasty can begin

Bold of you to assume our players won't get injured playing Uno
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Can someone explain the rule to me please lol. So all they have to do is call a fair catch and they get it on the 25? That's for kick offs and punts? I'm confused

edit: think I just figured it out.

So on a kickoff, if you kick it to the 4 yard line they can just fair catch it and get it on the 25? f**king lame.

so kick returners are almost useless now & having moody being able to boot it out of the end zone doesn't matter as much lol Jesus

Yep. At this point they might aswell get rid of kickoffs if everybody just starts fqairq catching every kick off. I was reading that concussions were up again on kick offs due to teams kicking the ball short. Guys are still gonna try to return it unless coached otherwise
That seemed to be central reason given by the NFL in making this change. Player safety.

They are gonna start two hand touching these QBs, the way this is going. Which means no more QB injury, and the 49er dynasty can begin

Bold of you to assume our players won't get injured playing Uno

yeah it'll probably be the old non contact acl blowout, the McKinnion special iirc
Did we cut him yet for missing that 48 yarder? If we wanted that, we could have just kept Gonzalez.
This lessens the impact of getting a great kicker handling kick offs. What it also does, more importantly, is limit those fringe players on special teams that make the team by making great plays. They will go largely unnoticed This is not such a great rule at all.
Moody made all 4 kicks today inluding a 53 yarder.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Moody made all 4 kicks today inluding a 53 yarder.

and here I thought some ppl were into air yards
From Jack Hammer's notes:

"Kicking Competition
Jake Moody and Zane Gonzalez each made four attempts for the second practice.
Moody hit all of four of his attempts including one from 53. The rookie nearly kicked the ball out of the facility on his first two attempts, with the ball traveling close to 70 yards on each.
Gonzalez connected from 33, 38, and 48 yards out, but missed wide right from 43."

That's pretty good news.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
From Jack Hammer's notes:

"Kicking Competition
Jake Moody and Zane Gonzalez each made four attempts for the second practice.
Moody hit all of four of his attempts including one from 53. The rookie nearly kicked the ball out of the facility on his first two attempts, with the ball traveling close to 70 yards on each.
Gonzalez connected from 33, 38, and 48 yards out, but missed wide right from 43."

That's pretty good news.

the dude has a freakin leg cannon
just watch the TCU kick which is good from 65-67
he hits the net with ease from 59 on that one
Lifted from Webmaster's article...
Schneider admits that working out Moody privately confirmed everything he thought about the kicker. Moody's pro workout was less informative.

"In his pro workout, he kicked off sticks," Schneider shared. "In other words, where there's a stick there, and he just kicks the ball. All kickers would like to do it that way, and I think he was 12 of 13, and he missed a 58-yarder, so that's exactly what kind of talent he is.

"So I always try to get them a holder and a snapper ... I want to see the operation of it all, and I want to see him under [stress]. What is he like under stress? How does he respond?"

That's where the private workout came in. Schneider was able to evaluate Moody under some chaotic situations.

"So he had two snappers that were backup long snappers on Michigan's team that were not very good, and he had his holder," Schneider said. "So right off the bat, these balls are coming everywhere. And he was doing great. The times were good, everything was good.

"And so, as it got going, and the snappers were rotating, the balls were just atrocious coming back, and I loved it because I was looking at him, how he responded to everything, and you could tell he was getting frustrated. Because then I'd move the snappers, and I'd have him kick off sticks, and his timing was off.

"So it was a really frustrating workout from his point of view. I absolutely loved it because, at the very end, we backed up to a 55-yarder, bad snap, and so he missed it, and he thought that was the last kick. And again, I'm just looking at him, and he's still stone-faced, really cool disposition.

"So I go, 'Okay, we have a last-second field goal. You have 12 seconds. I'm going to count it down. This is against Ohio State to win it.' So they're on the sidelines. They all run out. The worst snap of the day, it bounced twice, way inside. I mean, the holder barely got it down, and Moody, just like I've seen on tape, so consistent with his approach and finish and trust, smoked it."
Yeah that was an encouraging read.

We may have gotten hella lucky getting this kid in the 3rd. The Raiders took Janikowski in the first. When there is special talent you just gotta do it. It will be nice to be able to send him out there if we need a 58 yarder 👍

Indeed. It's interesting to get a glimpse behind the scenes to what goes on in these one on one work outs. I also like how Kyle and John back up their coaches when someone pounds the table for a guy. Sounds like coach Schneider was all in on Moody.

Especially because it's Schneider now too and not that little person and Kyle running the workout.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
So the NFL just approved a new rule that allows teams to fair catch a kickoff and start at the 25 like it's a touchback. I wonder if that reduces the value of having a kicker that can reliably kick it into the endzone as most teams are probably just going to fair catch it either way.

Player safety is a big deal on kickoffs - no more wedges, fair catching outside of the endzone. But Thursday Night football? Yes, more of that.

I don't see how this changes much. Maybe fair catching vs catching and taking knee saves a few seconds of blocking? But otherwise, I'd expect returners will still make the decision to go for the big return if it's not deep into the end zone.

We started seeing kick-offs to teams with returners nobody feared that fell short of the goal line which would force a return. The new rule makes a fair catch anywhere the same as one in the endzone.

NFL in 5 years:

what if we used next gen stats to simulate the result of the kickoff, with no risk to player safety??

If they really cared about player safety, they would play Thursday Night football on a Saturday.

Owners gonna owner.
Originally posted by Chance:
Indeed. It's interesting to get a glimpse behind the scenes to what goes on in these one on one work outs. I also like how Kyle and John back up their coaches when someone pounds the table for a guy. Sounds like coach Schneider was all in on Moody.

This!
Share 49ersWebzone