There are 124 users in the forums

Jake Moody-K-Michigan 3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just was reading an article about Robbie Gould and found out his contract is expiring with the Niners. Saw this kid many times this year and he would be a great replacement for Gould IMO. Definitely has a big leg and would help our special teams with his 66% touchback rate in addition to his place kicking. Niners need to think long term and this kid would be a step in the right direction.

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/jake-moody
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Just was reading an article about Robbie Gould and found out his contract is expiring with the Niners. Saw this kid many times this year and he would be a great replacement for Gould IMO. Definitely has a big leg and would help our special teams with his 66% touchback rate in addition to his place kicking. Niners need to think long term and this kid would be a step in the right direction.

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/jake-moody

I don't know about a rook K

Cade York was a 4th rounder who hit 75% which is below the mendoza lina.. kicker you gotta be 80% at least or your job is in jeopardy.

Our answer for a while has been get that old guy vet kicker..

Might I suggest Josh Lambo. He's 32, available and a career 87% which is stupid good. In fact if you look at all time field goal percentage he is 6th and ahead of Robbie even. This man should not be unemployed with those numbers.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 23,438
I hate drafting kickers/Punters but I would be down to drafting this guy.
Originally posted by jimrat:
I hate drafting kickers/Punters but I would be down to drafting this guy.

I agree with you and this dude showed exactly why he may be worth a day three pick in the Shrine Bowl last night.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10063994-east-west-shrine-bowl-2023-jake-moody-shines-as-west-wins-defensive-clash
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,916
Robbie one of my favorite niner kickers ever, but like someone pointed out in different thread this guy will save us millions which will help us extend guys like aiyuk
Moody looked good at Michigan making some clutch kicks along with a big leg. Plus, his name, Moody..."Damn you Moody!"

Will be interesting to see if Gould is back. One of the better clutch kickers I've seen.
Gould has been solid Gold.

I feel they won't let him walk.

But if they doo Moody looks like an excellent pick-up.

Josh lambo also loos really good.

And there are many who say not to draft a kicker - look how many games Gould won for us last year.
Originally posted by JMC52:
Robbie one of my favorite niner kickers ever, but like someone pointed out in different thread this guy will save us millions which will help us extend guys like aiyuk

That is my thought as well. I wouldn't draft him any earlier than the seventh round or hope to get him as an UDFA if they do acquire a kicker. Niners special teams would be much better if they had more touchbacks, too.
Drafting a kicker means 4 years of cheap contract. That's valuable. With Gould leaving and our wealth of late draft picks, this seems like the one year I'd actually want them to draft a kicker.
Hopefully with Brock and/or Trey we'll be scoring more TD's and not in a position to have to kick FG's.

  • krizay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,796
Hopefully we don't draft a k
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 23,438
Originally posted by krizay:
Hopefully we don't draft a k

Ha! Gould maybe gone and we just might.
Originally posted by jimrat:
Ha! Gould maybe gone and we just might.

Guess I was on the right track with this. Moody definitely one of the top 5 kickers and may need to draft him as opposed to wait for him as a UDFA.
Just wait til we use one of the 3rd rounder on him and then see who's moody!
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 23,438
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by jimrat:
Ha! Gould maybe gone and we just might.

Guess I was on the right track with this. Moody definitely one of the top 5 kickers and may need to draft him as opposed to wait for him as a UDFA.

👍 I hope so
Share 49ersWebzone