There are 288 users in the forums

Playoff losses over the years

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:
We had a great season. No reason to be mad.

• DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I took the NFCCG where Roger Craig fumbled harder than any one on your list.

This. That was the worst for me.

I'm at a point where all these losses have added up to a point where even if we win one its not worth all this pain amd heartache. 6 heartbreaks since 2011 is just too much for me to take. I'm not a young guy anymore and this team is just too cursed.

Honestly I feel the same way. I kept getting headaches after watching or going to 49er games because of how intensely I was watching.

Gonna try to not care so much week to week next year and just pay attention during the playoffs...if we make it...

Yea I've questioned my fan hood recently. Not that it's wavered, rather the commitment may not be so good for my health. When you're young and single, it's easier to take the losses. Go out and have a cigarette. Get drunk somewhere. But with a family and relatively clean life, the losses take a toll on personal life now. Takes longer to recover and important things take a backseat while you're getting over the slump.

TBPH after the Super Bowl loss I took a casual approach to the 2020 season. Didn't really watch the games just kept an eye on the score. It was COVID year anyway but my year went well and no affect on my personal life.

for the last two years I've been again deeply invested only to be gutted by this team. Maybe it's time to downgrade my fan hood…
  • grif
  • Veteran

yes that was the worst......we would have gone to the Super Bowl and 3-peated. QB should have just take a knee but noooooooo, it gets handed off to Craig who promptly fumbles the win away.
  • I was there and it is by far the hardest loss ever. Cost us a 3 peat.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I wasn't old enough to experience that one but from everyone's comments that loss might have been the worst of all.

I wasn't old enough to experience that one but from everyone's comments that loss might have been the worst of all.

The playoff heartbreak for my time as a 49er fan continues. This team has been awesome but has done so much more big time losing than winning in the last 30 years.

Here are the worst losses in order that I've experienced as a fan. Did get to see the team win SB XXIX, though.

1. 1992 NFCCG vs Dallas - upstart Cowboys...lose at home
2. 1997 NFCCG vs GB - finally had home field but of course Jerry Rice is hurt
3. 2011 NFCCG vs NYG - Kyle Williams game...we were the better team. Also Ahmad Bradshaw fumbled..."Forward progress"
4. 2019 SB loss vs KC - Blow a 10 point lead with the ball. Bosa was held.
5. 2012 SB loss vs BAL - Crabtree mugged in the corner on 3 straight plays. Bad play selection anyway.
6. 1993 NFCCG @ Dallas - 2nd year in a row they smoked us...this one was hard to take
7. 1995 NFC Div vs GB - Coming off of a SB win, heavily favored and got smacked by Favre/Holmgren
8. 2013 NFCCG @ SEA - Screwed by the refs left/right in this one. Also a terrible choice to throw the fade to Crabtree by CK
9. 2021 NFCCG @ LAR - KS/Jimmy G find a way to blow another 10 point 4th quarter lead. Tartt huge INT drop
10. 2022 NFCCG @ PHI - Brock Purdy injury game...and of course replay review screwed us early on
11. 1996 NFC Div @ GB - Elvis Grbac was in so can't be that mad
12. 1998 NFC Div loss @ ATL - Garrison Hearst injury game...we would've won but I'm not sure we win the SB that year
13. 2002 NFC Div loss @ TB - overmatched by TB after epic comeback vs NYG
14. 2001 NFC WC loss @ GB - closer game that it seemed, we had a shot to win at the end but a late Garcia pick sealed it.
So many painful losses. Parcells' Giants was a thorn on our side in the 80s,90s. They destroyed us in 86 with Jim Burt knocking out Montana. The 90 was probably the hardest for me as mentioned above. Leonard Marshall this time destroyed and knocked out Joe. Of course, the Roger Craig fumbled and they won on a FG 15-13. That was a classic defensive struggle and we had Steve Young, Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Brent Jones, Craig, Rathman and we only came up with 13 points and both defenses were loaded. Lott and Craig left the following year while Joe only played in the last home game (farewell game). Those were some of my saddest moments as with all the ones mentioned above.
[ Edited by frankieuc68 on Jan 30, 2023 at 11:04 AM ]
They all hurt, but this one hurt the most. It was like having to go into a championship wrestling match with 1 arm.
  • exile
  • Veteran
I have vague memories of watching Joe win the first one against the Bengals, so I had the good fortune to grow up a spoiled Niner fan.

The loss to Baltimore was the worst I've felt as a Niner fan. After the long, awful post-Mariucci era, getting back to the big game felt magical. They were so close.

For me the 2013 loss to Seattle stands out for the horrible Bowman injury at the end of the game. The SF-SEA games in that era were incredibly intense.

This loss to the Eagles gets an asterisk for being unwinnable without a viable QB. Absolutely horrible game with none of the enjoyment that usually offsets some of the worst characteristics of football - awful injuries, stupid fighting, inept officiating, and now the post-game takes by dullards on the internet. This team might've been the best we've had since the mid-90s, but we won't know.
We probably won't be back next season
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:

Who is this guy? The negative force is strong with this one lol

Originally posted by ninerfan818:

With the ever expanding playoffs I think we will definitely be in next year. It's hard to get the #1 seed though and having to fly to Philly for the NFCCG was not ideal.

That one ripped through your soul. This one falls into the usual, "Figures" (injury pattern) category that goes way back.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Agree 💯%. I'm still not over that one.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frankieuc68:

The playoff heartbreak for my time as a 49er fan continues. This team has been awesome but has done so much more big time losing than winning in the last 30 years.

Here are the worst losses in order that I've experienced as a fan. Did get to see the team win SB XXIX, though.

1. 1992 NFCCG vs Dallas - upstart Cowboys...lose at home
2. 1997 NFCCG vs GB - finally had home field but of course Jerry Rice is hurt
3. 2011 NFCCG vs NYG - Kyle Williams game...we were the better team. Also Ahmad Bradshaw fumbled..."Forward progress"
4. 2019 SB loss vs KC - Blow a 10 point lead with the ball. Bosa was held.
5. 2012 SB loss vs BAL - Crabtree mugged in the corner on 3 straight plays. Bad play selection anyway.
6. 1993 NFCCG @ Dallas - 2nd year in a row they smoked us...this one was hard to take
7. 1995 NFC Div vs GB - Coming off of a SB win, heavily favored and got smacked by Favre/Holmgren
8. 2013 NFCCG @ SEA - Screwed by the refs left/right in this one. Also a terrible choice to throw the fade to Crabtree by CK
9. 2021 NFCCG @ LAR - KS/Jimmy G find a way to blow another 10 point 4th quarter lead. Tartt huge INT drop
10. 2022 NFCCG @ PHI - Brock Purdy injury game...and of course replay review screwed us early on
11. 1996 NFC Div @ GB - Elvis Grbac was in so can't be that mad
12. 1998 NFC Div loss @ ATL - Garrison Hearst injury game...we would've won but I'm not sure we win the SB that year
13. 2002 NFC Div loss @ TB - overmatched by TB after epic comeback vs NYG
14. 2001 NFC WC loss @ GB - closer game that it seemed, we had a shot to win at the end but a late Garcia pick sealed it.
So many painful losses. Parcells' Giants was a thorn on our side in the 80s,90s. They destroyed us in 86 with Jim Burt knocking out Montana. The 90 was probably the hardest for me as mentioned above. Leonard Marshall this time destroyed and knocked out Joe. Of course, the Roger Craig fumbled and they won on a FG 15-13. That was a classic defensive struggle and we had Steve Young, Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Brent Jones, Craig, Rathman and we only came up with 13 points and both defenses were loaded. Lott and Craig left the following year while Joe only played in the last home game (farewell game). Those were some of my saddest moments as with all the ones mentioned above.

The Jim Burt hit and the Purdy hit, emotionally affected me the same way. It was a gut punch.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan818:

Susweels alternate account?
Share 49ersWebzone