LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

Playoff losses over the years

Shop Find 49ers gear online
don't know if i've seen us get our ass whupped quite like this
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I took the NFCCG where Roger Craig fumbled harder than any one on your list.

This. That was the worst for me.

I'm at a point where all these losses have added up to a point where even if we win one its not worth all this pain amd heartache. 6 heartbreaks since 2011 is just too much for me to take. I'm not a young guy anymore and this team is just too cursed.

Honestly I feel the same way. I kept getting headaches after watching or going to 49er games because of how intensely I was watching.

Gonna try to not care so much week to week next year and just pay attention during the playoffs...if we make it...
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

this wasnt even a real game. its like an asteroid hit our sideline and we had to forfeit
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

this wasnt even a real game. its like an asteroid hit our sideline and we had to forfeit

you still gotta go out and play

i thought the Mason penalty was bs he was pushed into punter

however dre acted stupid, clear face mask, Huf a clear late hit, JJ dropping the ball that's junior league, fine you dropped it just fall on it he can't even do that
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

This. That was the worst for me.

I'm at a point where all these losses have added up to a point where even if we win one its not worth all this pain amd heartache. 6 heartbreaks since 2011 is just too much for me to take. I'm not a young guy anymore and this team is just too cursed.

With not a single ring in this 2011-present run, it makes each one more difficult and it feels like I'm just watching waiting and praying they finally do it each season.

had they gotten just one in any of those seasons, i think I could go back to enjoying the ride. I find myself now just wanting to get to the end of the season and a sixth ring because I feel like we're owed it for all the missed opportunities.

dumb, maybe sad, but true. I was only 9 in 94. I just want to see one more as an adult and then I think I can go back to taking each season for what it is.

I said I wasn't gonna let this one bum me out so much but the fact that we never even got a chance to play an actual game or compete makes it harder. They always find new ways to absolutely crush your soul with a loss.

I was devastated the way that game ended, but at least we've won 4 before then....and then a few years after that the Cowboys arrived.

Today's game sucked for me as a father; my sons haven't had the experience of this team winning. Just heartache and defeat for them. I feel for all you young faithful that haven't witnessed us win a SB.
Originally posted by Hawaii49er:

I was devastated the way that game ended, but at least we've won 4 before then....and then a few years after that the Cowboys arrived.

Today's game sucked for me as a father; my sons haven't had the experience of this team winning. Just heartache and defeat for them. I feel for all you young faithful that haven't witnessed us win a SB.

I've been able to only see the 94-95 win...can't be upset since I've at least experienced one SB win. Just so much playoff heartache in the 90s and then with Harbaugh and now KS.
Top 5 York era losses for me:

1. SB 47
2. 11 Championship game
3. Last year's Championship game

A fairly wide gap

4. SB 54
5. 13 NFC championship
I wasnt old enough to remember the cowboys losses, but my earliest football memory was watching us win in 94. The loss that crushed me the most was the 97 NFCCG because it felt like we would never beat the packers, and that was the first season i watched every game intently and invested. Sucks that that was pretty much how every playoff season would go the rest of my life up to now. If I could go back in time I would tell my 7 year old self back in 94 to savor that moment.
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
I wasnt old enough to remember the cowboys losses, but my earliest football memory was watching us win in 94. The loss that crushed me the most was the 97 NFCCG because it felt like we would never beat the packers, and that was the first season i watched every game intently and invested. Sucks that that was pretty much how every playoff season would go the rest of my life up to now. If I could go back in time I would tell my 7 year old self back in 94 to savor that moment.

That was the season we had the home field on them. We would've won that game if we had Jerry Rice. He came back way too early from a major knee injury and played on MNF vs Denver (the eventual SB champion) and hurt his knee again. We ended up winning that game.

He would've been better to rest up for the playoffs and come back then. Without Rice we had no offense. We could've gone to the SB and played a Denver team we already had beat earlier in the year...

I remember vaguely the SB win against the Bengals, was pretty young but remember vividly against the Broncos & definitely the 94. Those who didn't get to see Walsh/Joe/Jerry back then certainly missed out. If Niners were down any points and there was a minute or so in the game..no worries, Joe & Jerry got it. I might have to look up some vintage games to feel better. Or wait...will I feel more sad? 😔 lol
[ Edited by Montana on Jan 30, 2023 at 2:12 AM ]
We had a great season. No reason to be mad.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
The playoff heartbreak for my time as a 49er fan continues. This team has been awesome but has done so much more big time losing than winning in the last 30 years.

Here are the worst losses in order that I've experienced as a fan. Did get to see the team win SB XXIX, though.

1. 1992 NFCCG vs Dallas - upstart Cowboys...lose at home
2. 1997 NFCCG vs GB - finally had home field but of course Jerry Rice is hurt
3. 2011 NFCCG vs NYG - Kyle Williams game...we were the better team. Also Ahmad Bradshaw fumbled..."Forward progress"
4. 2019 SB loss vs KC - Blow a 10 point lead with the ball. Bosa was held.
5. 2012 SB loss vs BAL - Crabtree mugged in the corner on 3 straight plays. Bad play selection anyway.
6. 1993 NFCCG @ Dallas - 2nd year in a row they smoked us...this one was hard to take
7. 1995 NFC Div vs GB - Coming off of a SB win, heavily favored and got smacked by Favre/Holmgren
8. 2013 NFCCG @ SEA - Screwed by the refs left/right in this one. Also a terrible choice to throw the fade to Crabtree by CK
9. 2021 NFCCG @ LAR - KS/Jimmy G find a way to blow another 10 point 4th quarter lead. Tartt huge INT drop
10. 2022 NFCCG @ PHI - Brock Purdy injury game...and of course replay review screwed us early on
11. 1996 NFC Div @ GB - Elvis Grbac was in so can't be that mad
12. 1998 NFC Div loss @ ATL - Garrison Hearst injury game...we would've won but I'm not sure we win the SB that year
13. 2002 NFC Div loss @ TB - overmatched by TB after epic comeback vs NYG
14. 2001 NFC WC loss @ GB - closer game that it seemed, we had a shot to win at the end but a late Garcia pick sealed it.

Roger Craig fumble against the Giants and Montana gets knocked out.
For us older guys who can remember watching Joe and Jerry in person and who got to experience the 49ers smashing opposition hearts in the Super Bowl, this harbaugh and shanny run of losses is really hard. I remember what it was like as a fan back then. It really was win the Super Bowl or the entire season was a failure. The team, the fans, everyone felt that way. I can now look back and say I took for granted just how successful this team was in the late 80's and early 90's. I didn't have the life experience to really force myself to sit back and savor just how dominant this organization was then.

The further we get from that last Super Bowl win and the older I get it's starting to feel like me and people my age (50) might not get to see another one. We have the players to win it. I just think we have a coach who might not be able to put it all together to finally get that elusive Super Bowl win. It's the only reason why I'm so sour on Kyle. It would be nice to see one more Super Bowl win. Just one more…….
[ Edited by maximusdecimus on Jan 30, 2023 at 4:48 AM ]
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Put it this way. This could have been our 3rd championship attempt in 4 years. And 3 LEGIT teams not lucky ones that were happy to be there.

We were better than KC in 2019.
We were better than LA in 2022, and had already beaten Cincinnati at their field during the regular season.
We were a better roster than Philadelphia.

at some point, can't keep blaming injuries and bad luck to all these losses. Heartbreaking. Absolutely heartbreaking.
Share 49ersWebzone