There are 243 users in the forums

Stats and Strats: Matchup preview vs PHI 2022 Season NFCCG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by All22:

Kyle's gonna run all day. Wouldn't be surprise to see some Jordan Mason action too.

Run, throw it short, make them tackle.

Exactly what I was thinking. Don't let those pass rushers of PHI have a chance to tee off on our o line. Let our o line take the fight to them and let our YAC Bros feast.

Being in 3rd & 5 or less is critical for the 49er offense. I think the world of Brock, but asking him to convert medium/long 3rd downs on the road against a ferocious defense is not the winning recipe.
Originally posted by thl408:
^^ I looked it up and these were the standout games where the PHI pass rush feasted on sacks:

Carson Wentz 9 sacks
Kenny Pickett 6 sacks
Ryan Tannyhill 6 sacks
DJones/Tyrod Taylor 7 sacks combined
Justin Fields 6 sacks
Dak Prescott 6 sacks
Saints 7 sacks (Dalton 6/Taysom 1)

Pass blocking rankings according to PFF.

WSH- 26th
PIT- 15th
TEN- 32nd
NYG- 24th
CHI- 16th
DAL- 14th
NO- 26th

Maybe they have bad rankings because they played PHI?

One game isn't going to drop TEN all the way down to 32nd.
Yeah.
It's kind of like how ARI and SEA are two of the teams that give up the most YAC, but maybe that's because they play the 49ers twice.

True but if you take out the divisional games, PIT, TEN, CHI and NO gave up 25 sacks to the eagles combined. None of those o lines were in the top 10. The only top 10 pass blocking unit they faced was JAX who is ranked 10th. They sacked Trevor Lawrence 4 times in that game though, including a strip sack to end the game.

We have the #4 ranked pass blocking unit in the league going up against the #1 ranked pass rushing unit in the league. It will certainly be an interesting matchup. So will our 6th ranked pass rush vs their #1 pass blocking o line.
I hope DeMeco is crystal clear with the guys about how they're going to play the read stuff. I'm not a fan of Ebukam/Bosa squeezing down the line and slow playing the mesh point. I don't like the idea of Bosa matching Hurts if it's a keeper. I'd prefer the 49ers stick to the aggressive nature of the wide 9 and have Bosa play the dive/A gap while the LBs scrape over. I feel real good about Fred and Dre running down Hurts and getting their licks on him.

They'll probably adjust the strategy when Philly has a winged blocker to counter the split zone stuff with a ton of line movement(ie slants/gap exnchanges with DBs).
[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 26, 2023 at 11:44 AM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
I hope DeMeco is crystal clear with the guys about how they're going to play the read stuff. I'm not a fan of Ebukam/Bosa squeezing down the line and slow playing the mesh point. I don't like the idea of Bosa matching up Hurts if it's a keeper. I'd prefer the 49ers stick to the aggressive nature of the wide 9, and have Bosa play the dive while the LBs scrape over. I feel real good about Fred and Dre running down Hurts and getting their licks on him.

Hurts is not 100% healthy. I believe he is still dealing with that shoulder. I wonder how many designed runs we will actually see from him? How many did he have in the divisional round?
Hurts is not 100% healthy. I believe he is still dealing with that shoulder. I wonder how many designed runs we will actually see from him? How many did he have in the divisional round?

He ran last week. The 49ers should expect him to run this Sunday.

• thl408
^^ In that TD run, #54 was the spy and he still got burnt. Luckily our #54 is better.
Originally posted by Heroism:

He ran last week. The 49ers should expect him to run this Sunday.

I heard people say he looked like he was nervous to get hit by the way he was turning into contact after his injury. Im hoping the 49ers can put a beating on him and really throw his game off.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
To Hero and Yac's point the Eagles know that Bosa lines up on each tackle an equal amount of time. The analytics say that if he does have one weakness it's when you run at him he is not as effective. ESPN illustrates this by showing the play that led to the Cowboys only touchdown with the Dak keeper where Nick crashes down and leaves the edge for Prescott. I believe they said he ranks 185th out of a 190-something qualified defenders in run block win rate (whatever that means).
Originally posted by FL9er:
To Hero and Yac's point the Eagles know that Bosa lines up on each tackle an equal amount of time. The analytics say that if he does have one weakness it's when you run at him he is not as effective. ESPN illustrates this by showing the play that led to the Cowboys only touchdown with the Dak keeper where Nick crashes down and leaves the edge for Prescott. I believe they said he ranks 185th out of a 190-something qualified defenders in run block win rate (whatever that means).

PFF has Bosa ranked 5th in the league in run defense as an edge defender.
  • thl408

PFF has Bosa ranked 5th in the league in run defense as an edge defender.

Maybe the list was in reverse order for FL9er - 5th in league, resorted bottom to top he's 185 out of 190 .

• FL9er
  • Veteran
Here thl and Yac [@4:13]:

[ Edited by FL9er on Jan 26, 2023 at 12:17 PM ]
  • thl408
Here thl and Yac [@4:13]:

You watch the 49ers, what do you think using your eyes? You think he's one of the worst players in the league when it comes to defending the run? I don't.
The statement: "If Purdy throws 0 TDs, the 49ers will lose."

My argument: "Well the Eagles lost to the Saints and Commanders with their QBs throwing 0 TDs and barely beat the Colts who also didn't have a passing TD."
^^ In that TD run, #54 was the spy and he still got burnt. Luckily our #54 is better.

in terms of speed?
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:

in terms of speed?

Speed, size, strength, play recognition.
Share 49ersWebzone