LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 332 users in the forums

Harbaugh's 3-4 or Shanahan's Wide 9

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Which defense was better during each of their coaching tenure and why?

I live here in Dallas and was having a discussion with a Cowboys fan regarding the subject matter.
Originally posted by SlowDownBoy:
Which defense was better during each of their coaching tenure and why?

I live here in Dallas and was having a discussion with a Cowboys fan regarding the subject matter.

Looking at ppg the stingiest was 2011 in a runaway. Looking at ppg the 2022 D allowed fewer points in more games than 2019. I attribute that to the secondary and Lynch getting C Ward, more than the front.
I'd rather have a wide 9 other than a 3-4 😂
Originally posted by CrabsAndVD:

I'll take the current scheme. Harbaugh's defenses got shredded in the playoffs by Brees, Rodgers, Ryan, Flacco, and to a lesser extent, Eli.
  • thl408
Nice thread. I think if you have good coaches that can get creative and teach, the 3-4 has more potential (creative blitzes, possibly more athleticism since there are more LBs on the field). But in a day and age where a lot of player turnover occurs every year, a simplified scheme like the wide9 is better.

With so many offenses playing 11 personnel (3 WRs) nearly 70% of the time, a defense is having more snaps in nickel than in their base 3-4. With the wide9 always being a four man front whether it's base or nickel, it simplifies teaching. Saleh referred to this when he adopted the wide9. Instead of switching back and forth from 4-3 under, which is a five man front similar to the 3-4, to a four man front in nickel, he adopted the wide9 so that the defense was always in a four man front.

Then there's the question of player availability. If the majority of the league is playing a certain style, it means the majority of the league is looking for the same skillsets. Ideally, a team prefers to be different so that they aren't trying to acquire the same players. I think a good 3-4 OLB is one of the hardest things to find.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Its even funnier when you see the handle.
Originally posted by thl408:
Nice thread. I think if you have good coaches that can get creative and teach, the 3-4 has more potential (creative blitzes, possibly more athleticism since there are more LBs on the field). But in a day and age where a lot of player turnover occurs every year, a simplified scheme like the wide9 is better.

With so many offenses playing 11 personnel (3 WRs) nearly 70% of the time, a defense is having more snaps in nickel than in their base 3-4. With the wide9 always being a four man front whether it's base or nickel, it simplifies teaching. Saleh referred to this when he adopted the wide9. Instead of switching back and forth from 4-3 under, which is a five man front similar to the 3-4, to a four man front in nickel, he adopted the wide9 so that the defense was always in a four man front.

Then there's the question of player availability. If the majority of the league is playing a certain style, it means the majority of the league is looking for the same skillsets. Ideally, a team prefers to be different so that they aren't trying to acquire the same players. I think a good 3-4 OLB is one of the hardest things to find.

II can agree

Makes me think back to the days when Julian Peterson was on the team and was drafted because of his past rush ability but was actually much better in coverage in the NFL
Originally posted by thl408:

Why don't they ever line Bosa up way outside like up on the line where a CB would blitz from? It seems like the T have to be in a certain spot to defend the inside, and from that far out an edge guy would have a tremendous angle.

That's a lot to take in. You're a braver man than I.

More like Fangios 3-4 vs Saleh/Ryans/Kocurek 4-3?

Comparing an alignment with a base d sounds a bit weird.
Originally posted by the_dynasty:

THIS
I feel like, Harbaugh's 49er defense, with perfect health was a stronger defense overall. That linebacker corps was ridiculous.

However, I also feel like Fangio wore out Justin Smith and Aldon Smith, to the point that they were out of gas by the time the playoff came. He rarely rotated his starters out.

Meanwhile, Shanahan's defense regularly rotates the defensive line. As the season goes on, and especially in the playoffs, our defenses have been pretty fresh in getting after the QB.
  • thl408
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by the_dynasty:

THIS

I understand the question I think. It's asking which defensive front is better - a 3-4 with 1.5 gap principles using two off the ball LBs, or wide9 with one gap technique and three off the ball LBs.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
imagine if Bosa had a Justin Smith next to him.
Share 49ersWebzone