There are 243 users in the forums

Offense is the new identity

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Offense is essentially the same but we did add one of five best talents in the game in McCaffery. What's happening right now is that our quarterback is executing at a high level.

I was never a fan of Jimmy G, I thought his poor decisions and lack of accuracy cost us several games, including a Super Bowl. Trey Lance was clearly not ready. We're finally seeing this offense with someone at the helm who gets the ball out quickly to our many toys... and he just happens to be an excellent playmaker.

The bar has been low for our quarterbacks since Kyle got here and he's not without fault. That's what makes analyzing just how good Purdy is difficult.
I agree with the premise. For Shanahan's tenure up until Purdy taking over for Jimmy, our formula for winning was:
  • ball control running attack
  • efficient on 3rd down
  • stifling defense

Since taking over, we're getting a higher frequency of explosive plays, leading to shorter drives, more scoring, less time of possession, and more time for the defense to be on the field. So a regression from them makes sense, but while the Defense may surrender more yards and points, they also have more takeaways, which we've seen a major uptick.

We should expect more scoring for both teams, but we're consistently scoring 35+.
hell yeah
It is when you got Purdy. What worries me is our defense. Which seems to have taken a step back IMO. I'm much more concerned about that. Not our ability to score points. Which we seem to do fine at lately.
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Offense is essentially the same but we did add one of five best talents in the game in McCaffery. What's happening right now is that our quarterback is executing at a high level.

I was never a fan of Jimmy G, I thought his poor decisions and lack of accuracy cost us several games, including a Super Bowl. Trey Lance was clearly not ready. We're finally seeing this offense with someone at the helm who gets the ball out quickly to our many toys... and he just happens to be an excellent playmaker.

The bar has been low for our quarterbacks since Kyle got here and he's not without fault. That's what makes analyzing just how good Purdy is difficult.

He's very good. It's not difficult at all IMO.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's very good. It's not difficult at all IMO.

Exactly! 6-0! With the number one offense AP!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Jan 19, 2023 at 6:18 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I agree with the premise. For Shanahan's tenure up until Purdy taking over for Jimmy, our formula for winning was:
  • ball control running attack
  • efficient on 3rd down
  • stifling defense

Since taking over, we're getting a higher frequency of explosive plays, leading to shorter drives, more scoring, less time of possession, and more time for the defense to be on the field. So a regression from them makes sense, but while the Defense may surrender more yards and points, they also have more takeaways, which we've seen a major uptick.

We should expect more scoring for both teams, but we're consistently scoring 35+.

Good post.

One thing for certain about Purdy is that his IQ is elite. I still cannot fathom how he learned the offense so fast. The current narrative is that it's a "quarterback friendly" offense which I think is a lazy way of generalizing his success.
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:

One thing for certain about Purdy is that his IQ is elite. I still cannot fathom how he learned the offense so fast. The current narrative is that it's a "quarterback friendly" offense which I think is a lazy way of generalizing his success.

It is a QB friendly offense, provided your quarterback is up and willing to the task. I agree with you about Purdy's football IQ, though I would attribute it more to confidence and natural playmaking. And I'm not downplaying his success at all. If Trey Lance was starting and putting these numbers up everyone would be all over it, but because he was a 7th rounder it must be the offense.

I don't care how he's perceived by the general public, watching him it's clear he's got some special qualities and is perfect for this offense.
Without question, the offense is the strength of this team right now. With Purdy as QB, we are averaging 35 points a game. It is very hard to lose a game if you put up 35 points a game. To put into perspective how impressive averaging 35 points a game is, the Chiefs Average 29. More impressive is the fact that in many of those games, we pulled staters early because we blew the opposing team out so badly. Deebo missed multiple games in that stretch. And in the only game, we didn't put up 30, Brock was playing hurt. We played more conservatively in that game and still, we took our foot off the gas at the end because we were winning easily. This offense has talent everywhere and is scary good.

Originally posted by Patton:
Guys at work were talking today and there was a lot of comparisons to many Niner teams of the past. If you take QB out of the conversation, there are a few people that made cases for this years team being overall the best 49er team in team history.

At first I was joking saying they were crazy, but after some thought, as a whole, this roster on both sides of the ball, along with the coaching staff, they might be right.

The only weak spot that can be picked on is special teams but even then, Gould and Wish have had good seasons.

Idk but this roster definitely feels like one of the best units in team history.

Gotta get the job done before we have this conversation, otherwise it'll be a great roster that failed to get the job done
It is when you got Purdy. What worries me is our defense. Which seems to have taken a step back IMO. I'm much more concerned about that. Not our ability to score points. Which we seem to do fine at lately.

Agree..when at the Raiders game, I noticed this especially. Luckily, they have been getting picks & making some key plays but I know what ya mean.
Originally posted by Montana:

Agree..when at the Raiders game, I noticed this especially. Luckily, they have been getting picks & making some key plays but I know what ya mean.

Yeah they are no longer a Shutdown Defense, but rather an Opportunist Defense. They may not be able to constantly stop offenses from driving and scoring, but they are able to make the key sack, fumble recovery, or interception to turn the tide. We would be in bad shape if our offense was like it was last year.
[ Edited by SlipAndSlideBosa on Jan 20, 2023 at 5:02 AM ]
Originally posted by Patton:
There have been many, many years of great offensive units, but to have an equally great defense with so much talent, I can't remember one.

The first thought that I had about a great defense was the year that they had that 7 play defensive stand against the Eagles at Candlestick inside the 2 yard line, but I couldn't remember the whole roster, lol.

No doubt though that this years team ranks among the best ever.

That 2001 team was so much fun to watch. Especially with the late game heroics of Garcia and Owens.

We brought Stubblefield back, and the youth movement with Julian Peterson, Ahmed Plummer, Jason Webster, John Engleberger, and Andre Carter paid off. Of course we still had BY, Derek Smith, Ulbrich, Bronson and Schulters.
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
That 2001 team was so much fun to watch. Especially with the late game heroics of Garcia and Owens.

We brought Stubblefield back, and the youth movement with Julian Peterson, Ahmed Plummer, Jason Webster, John Engleberger, and Andre Carter paid off. Of course we still had BY, Derek Smith, Ulbrich, Bronson and Schulters.

Lance "Sergeant" Schulters as Chris Berman used to call him, lol. Those were the days, man these years have gone by fast!

Lee Woodall was the man too, one of my favorites for sure. That fumble recovery against the Bills when they were about to score, one of the great plays I can still see like it was yesterday.

Cheers.
[ Edited by Patton on Jan 20, 2023 at 5:39 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone