LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 306 users in the forums

Week 12 vs NO Saints Coaches Film Analysis Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Sorry guys, been AWOL this week. Got sick kiddos and have put in 26 hours of work the past 2 days between the job and the YT work. I is tired. Hopefully we get some good discourse this week on the film. Cheers!

bro it's only Tuesday. what do you mean AWOL?

anyways, thanks as always!
Sweet!

Great to see that, yeah, the playcalling is there, but we do need to clean things up. I have some questions!

1- We were talking about it in one of the other threads... The redzone throw to Jennings, where CMC was uncovered. What was your take on that? It seemed like it was a good read from Jimmy, but he threw it behind Jennings instead of leading him to the pylon.
PRE-snap, it seemed like Aiyuk and CMC were covered on the left side, so that's why Jimmy looked to his right. POST-snap, we assumed CMC's man freelanced to go wherever Jimmy looked because the Saints rushed 5, and presumably would get it out quick... and that's why CMC was uncovered.

2- This week's sloppiness on offense is kind of understandable, as we had a weird practice week... but do you think this is cause for concern? The Arizona game, we were pretty clean, but the week prior to that, we were again sloppy. Is the offense too complex? I wonder if things should get dialed back a little bit. Or do you think we'll get things cleaned up in the next 6 weeks before playoffs start?
[ Edited by Wubbie on Nov 29, 2022 at 7:11 PM ]
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Sweet!

Great to see that, yeah, the playcalling is there, but we do need to clean things up. I have some questions!

1- We were talking about it in one of the other threads... The redzone throw to Jennings, where CMC was uncovered. What was your take on that? It seemed like it was a good read from Jimmy, but he threw it behind Jennings instead of leading him to the pylon.
PRE-snap, it seemed like Aiyuk and CMC were covered on the left side, so that's why Jimmy looked to his right. POST-snap, we assumed CMC's man freelanced to go wherever Jimmy looked because the Saints rushed 5, and presumably would get it out quick... and that's why CMC was uncovered.

2- This week's sloppiness on offense is kind of understandable, as we had a weird practice week... but do you think this is cause for concern? The Arizona game, we were pretty clean, but the week prior to that, we were again sloppy. Is the offense too complex? I wonder if things should get dialed back a little bit. Or do you think we'll get things cleaned up in the next 6 weeks before playoffs start?

he didnt comment on the missed wide open TD to CMC?
Another great vid JD! I appreciate the caveat you explained on the overthrow to CMC. Whether it's true or not, no question that he and Jimmy still have some chemistry to build.
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:
he didnt comment on the missed wide open TD to CMC?

No. He pointed out a couple miscues that we need to clean up on offense and highlighted the awesomeness of our defense.
Sweet!

1. Since it's a lot to grab the screen shot and draw it up, Greg does a great job of explaining it here.

While you'd love for a QB to see busts every time, the side of the progression they read is based off the pre-snap look. CMC's side is a zone-beater and the Jennings side is a man-beater with the pick play so I have zero fault for Jimmy picking the Jennings side. Better throw and better route running - either one nets a TD. We did not do well with our pick/rub plays at all this week. Gotta run your defender into your rub action. You could tell the team got back at 6 AM Tuesday.

The issues in execution and complexity of the offense: No, I don't see any reason to change it. The fact is, every offense has ups and downs - even ones that have had an entire off-season together. I don't think we appreciate fully the massive turnover in the coaching staff and the changes on the offensive side. It feels like the team has been together for years. Jimmy, Aiyuk, Deebo, Kittle, McG, Williams. But, the IOL is completely new. RB1 is new and Wilson got role-playing reps last season due to injury. Coaching staff has had massive turnover on the offensive side. All of this while your QB1 and RB1 this year didn't have an off-season with the team.
3:55 - I wonder if Aiyuk saw his life flash before his very eyes when trying to crack Cam Jordan became running into Trent Williams instead
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Sweet!

1. Since it's a lot to grab the screen shot and draw it up, Greg does a great job of explaining it here.

While you'd love for a QB to see busts every time, the side of the progression they read is based off the pre-snap look. CMC's side is a zone-beater and the Jennings side is a man-beater with the pick play so I have zero fault for Jimmy picking the Jennings side. Better throw and better route running - either one nets a TD. We did not do well with our pick/rub plays at all this week. Gotta run your defender into your rub action. You could tell the team got back at 6 AM Tuesday.

The issues in execution and complexity of the offense: No, I don't see any reason to change it. The fact is, every offense has ups and downs - even ones that have had an entire off-season together. I don't think we appreciate fully the massive turnover in the coaching staff and the changes on the offensive side. It feels like the team has been together for years. Jimmy, Aiyuk, Deebo, Kittle, McG, Williams. But, the IOL is completely new. RB1 is new and Wilson got role-playing reps last season due to injury. Coaching staff has had massive turnover on the offensive side. All of this while your QB1 and RB1 this year didn't have an off-season with the team.

Ahhhh, thank you. I feel better about that CMC play then, haha.

Yeah, I figured it'd be drastic to change things. And still, prior to the context of the game getting away from showing off explosive offense in the second half (Jimmy get banged up on a hit and was gimpy, had a drive starting inside our own 5 yard line after we forced the fumble at the goalline, and the last drive was a 4 minute offense situation), we moved the ball very well in the first half. 200 yards of offense. Just need to work on our red zone package.
Better throw and better route running - either one nets a TD.
All of this while your QB1 and RB1 this year didn't have an off-season with the team.
Are you saying that Jennings should've run a better route and Garoppolo threw behind Jennings instead of leading him to the pylon because he missed the offseason?

To me it seems totally obvious that Garoppolo simply threw behind his target. End of story. No need for deep analysis.
[ Edited by zugschef on Nov 29, 2022 at 11:41 PM ]

Sweet!

Thank you for the explanation on that play. What you stated is pretty much exactly what Thl said. Apparently, he isn't a reputable source on this site so they waited patiently to ask you about it.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Thank you for the explanation on that play. What you stated is pretty much exactly what Thl said. Apparently, he isn't a reputable source on this site so they waited patiently to ask you about it.

Whose hating on my guy THL? Back in the day this thread was JD and THL tag teaming a bunch of screenshots of the breakdowns. THL concept knowledge is pretty spot on, like JD. I would bet these breakdown threads are the better than any other teams message board. Nice job as always JD, keep up the good work. Gonna be a fun game this Sunday
Originally posted by Luckycharms:
Originally posted by YACBros85:

Whose hating on my guy THL? Back in the day this thread was JD and THL tag teaming a bunch of screenshots of the breakdowns. THL concept knowledge is pretty spot on, like JD. I would bet these breakdown threads are the better than any other teams message board. Nice job as always JD, keep up the good work. Gonna be a fun game this Sunday

I cannot remember who it was. But during the discussion of that play thl explained why it was a good pre snap read because the saints were in man coverage. Someone there after stated that they would wait for a reputable source to give their explanation. As if thl is not a reputable source.
Originally posted by zugschef:
Better throw and better route running - either one nets a TD.
All of this while your QB1 and RB1 this year didn't have an off-season with the team.
Are you saying that Jennings should've run a better route and Garoppolo threw behind Jennings instead of leading him to the pylon because he missed the offseason?

To me it seems totally obvious that Garoppolo simply threw behind his target. End of story. No need for deep analysis.

I know football is football, execution is execution, why do you need deep analysis, you're not the coaches so who cares, these guys especially the QB makes millions to do this 🤣 there is always alot of pressure to win on both sides but no excuses necessary it's their job, do it right and good or be jobless or no continual big money in the future.
The D pitched another shut out with 2 turnovers while the offense only scored 13 pts when they should have gotten more with better execution vs a 4-7 team, what more do you need to know? ... 🤣
Share 49ersWebzone