Shop Find 49ers gear online

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS vs NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - 2022 Game 11

Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by ritz126:
Watching it live, it felt like there were many dropbacks where Jimmy had time in the pocket but couldn't find a target. I don't think the OL was bad, I think the Saints coverage was good. I gotta watch the tape.

i was at the game and the coverage was very good at least thats what it looked like but i also felt the OL wasnt great Jimmy got hit a lot and it wasnt like he was holding the ball for 4 seconds

Anything over 3 seconds is on the QB imo.

Well… NGS had him at 2.9 seconds on average, so he probably was holding it longer than 3 seconds on a lot of plays. The 2.9 seconds is notable because it's about .5 seconds longer than his season average.

Yes. At a 2.9 second average I would agree there were plays where he was holding it longer than 3 seconds. I was listening to John Chapman yesterday and he said that the saints clamped down on everything underneath and over the middle and that there were a few plays to be had deep outside the numbers that were missed. We will just have to wait until the all22 comes out.

IMO, Time To Throw is more a function of the play calling than it is pass protection. If the 49ers threw a bunch of quick screens, then the TTT will be short. If there are more 7 step timing throws, then TTT will be long. It's more about about once the QB completes his drop back (on 3/5/7 step timing dropbacks), does he have time to hitch twice, which means he's getting to his third progression, which then puts the focus on the play calling (bad play call versus coverage), WRs' ability to get open (can't separate versus man coverage), or QB's ability to find the open target.

I am aware of what you are telling me. I will wait to see the pressure passing splits on pff's site and see how much time Jimmy actually had on average in the pocket before pressure was getting to him.
Watching it live, it felt like there were many dropbacks where Jimmy had time in the pocket but couldn't find a target. I don't think the OL was bad, I think the Saints coverage was good. I gotta watch the tape.

i was at the game and the coverage was very good at least thats what it looked like but i also felt the OL wasnt great Jimmy got hit a lot and it wasnt like he was holding the ball for 4 seconds

Well… NGS had him at 2.9 seconds on average, so he probably was holding it longer than 3 seconds on a lot of plays. The 2.9 seconds is notable because it's about .5 seconds longer than his season average.

Yes. At a 2.9 second average I would agree there were plays where he was holding it longer than 3 seconds. I was listening to John Chapman yesterday and he said that the saints clamped down on everything underneath and over the middle and that there were a few plays to be had deep outside the numbers that were missed. We will just have to wait until the all22 comes out.

IMO, Time To Throw is more a function of the play calling than it is pass protection. If the 49ers threw a bunch of quick screens, then the TTT will be short. If there are more 7 step timing throws, then TTT will be long. It's more about about once the QB completes his drop back (on 3/5/7 step timing dropbacks), does he have time to hitch twice, which means he's getting to his third progression, which then puts the focus on the play calling (bad play call versus coverage), WRs' ability to get open (can't separate versus man coverage), or QB's ability to find the open target.

I'm not trying to ascribe a cause for the increased TTT. I just found it notable because it was so much higher than our average TTT for the season and I didn't feel like watching the game that the o-line was doing a particularly poor job in pass protection.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Genius vs. Genius cometh

McDaniel is going to attack and Shanahan is going to be a turtle. Just what my sources are saying.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Genius vs. Genius cometh

McDaniel is going to attack and Shanahan is going to be a turtle. Just what my sources are saying.

Maybe McDaniel has been the real genius. It's no coincidence he's a first time HC and has a winning record

I'm not trying to ascribe a cause for the increased TTT. I just found it notable because it was so much higher than our average TTT for the season and I didn't feel like watching the game that the o-line was doing a particularly poor job in pass protection.

It was more about the saints playing great coverage and Jimmy having to hold the ball longer than he normally would. The O line was charged with 14 pressures with 10 hurries and 4 hits though. Jimmy's TTT before pressure got to him was an average of 3.11 seconds. On all other dropbacks it was 2.60 seconds according to pff.
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Genius vs. Genius cometh

Maybe McDaniel has been the real genius. It's no coincidence he's a first time HC and has a winning record
He took over a 9 win team, so let's pump the brakes a bit. Not saying he's not a legit coach, btw
  • dj43
From the JG thread, he was pressured on 39.5% of his attempts. That compares to an NFL average of 30.3% pressure rate. That fits the eye test from yesterday - NO was getting more pressure than average.
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Genius vs. Genius cometh

Yeah, it's no coincidence. It's because of the players he has. He wasn't the play caller under Shanahan, including Shanahan's best years. When you have a good scheme, you're aggressive, and you have THOSE weapons, and a QB who can make the throws, you're going to win a lot.
Share 49ersWebzone