LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

2023 OPOY Christian McCaffrey, RB

Shop Find 49ers gear online

2023 OPOY Christian McCaffrey, RB

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Wilson can't hold on to the football to save our season. He legit fumbled away a GW drive and somehow fumbled a TD to ATL. As a run heavy team, we can't lean on this guy. Try something else. Melvin Gordon is rightly in the doghouse in DEN for fumbling. He's a way better back than Wilson ever was. We keep trotting Wilson out there.. even after the ATL fumble.. he's right back out there. It's terrible.

there's only 4 RBs avg more YPC that has as many (or more) carries then Wilson. Barkley/Chubb/Jacobs/Stevenson.

I've always agreed with you that Wilson is the 5th best RB in the league 👍🏻

im just messing around lol. Friendly banter
[ Edited by 5thSFG on Oct 18, 2022 at 5:01 PM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by dj43:
The decline of the running game is not the lack of a top-tier RB, or, as one writer claims, is due to not having the running threat of QB power. (that claim makes me ) Rather it is this:

Last season we had Tomlinson, a top-15 guard at LG with a run-blocking rating in the low 70s. This year we have an inexperienced Aaron Banks with a rating of 57.
We also had a former Pro Bowl center still playing at a mid-range level. This year we have the 6th lowest-rated center in the league in Jeff Brendel.
At RG we had Daniel Brunskill, a mid-tier level player who held his own against power and hit the second level with decent consistency. This year we have Spencer Burford, whose run-blocking rating is "replacement" grade.
OT, with Williams when healthy, and McGlinchey, has been equal to last season but injuries are, once again, hurting consistency.

So, no, we don't need a game-changer RB to run behind the crew I just outlined. We need the OL to carry the water.
Did you account for teams putting extra DL ?

Teams are loading up to stop the run, the only way to counter that is taking advantage the secondary by passing. Teams are daring us to pass

Pass blocking has taken a huge step up, but we still lack in the pass due to having a back up QB playing

They did that last year against the same QB.

No, our PP has NOT taken a step up, particularly the IOL. It has improved slightly in the past two games but it is not to the level it was last season. So, while that may not be a huge difference, it is still below average.
Wilson can't hold on to the football to save our season. He legit fumbled away a GW drive and somehow fumbled a TD to ATL. As a run heavy team, we can't lean on this guy. Try something else. Melvin Gordon is rightly in the doghouse in DEN for fumbling. He's a way better back than Wilson ever was. We keep trotting Wilson out there.. even after the ATL fumble.. he's right back out there. It's terrible.

there's only 4 RBs avg more YPC that has as many (or more) carries then Wilson. Barkley/Chubb/Jacobs/Stevenson.

It ain't Wilson. It's the scheme. He's just running in a KS scheme. With gloves dipped in oil. If you are putting on the ground you are making a difference, not the kind we want..

I'm on the anybody but Wilson train. Not to say he's off the team.. just give him a week or two to figure out the ball security issue.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
The decline of the running game is not the lack of a top-tier RB, or, as one writer claims, is due to not having the running threat of QB power. (that claim makes me ) Rather it is this:

Last season we had Tomlinson, a top-15 guard at LG with a run-blocking rating in the low 70s. This year we have an inexperienced Aaron Banks with a rating of 57.
We also had a former Pro Bowl center still playing at a mid-range level. This year we have the 6th lowest-rated center in the league in Jeff Brendel.
At RG we had Daniel Brunskill, a mid-tier level player who held his own against power and hit the second level with decent consistency. This year we have Spencer Burford, whose run-blocking rating is "replacement" grade.
OT, with Williams when healthy, and McGlinchey, has been equal to last season but injuries are, once again, hurting consistency.

So, no, we don't need a game-changer RB to run behind the crew I just outlined. We need the OL to carry the water.
Did you account for teams putting extra DL ?

Teams are loading up to stop the run, the only way to counter that is taking advantage the secondary by passing. Teams are daring us to pass

Pass blocking has taken a huge step up, but we still lack in the pass due to having a back up QB playing

They did that last year against the same QB.

No, our PP has NOT taken a step up, particularly the IOL. It has improved slightly in the past two games but it is not to the level it was last season. So, while that may not be a huge difference, it is still below average.
not sure about Beau but it's not bad, but Banks is on his way of having a better year than Laken, Bren staying ok,

They are giving jimmy large amounts of time and huge pockets more than not
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Oct 18, 2022 at 5:08 PM ]
We know that CMC wouldn't mind playing for Kyle with the family connection and the balance of his $1M 2022 contract is affordable.
But what would the Panthers really want ?

We're all in on trading players with 'potential' like Kinlaw, but he's an oft injured back and I'm thinking a 3rd is appropriate. Having him and Mitchell rotate would be ideal with letting Mitchell get the tough carries saving CMC for the explosive shots and short passes.
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
I've always agreed with you that Wilson is the 5th best RB in the league 👍🏻

im just messing around lol. Friendly banter

He's running well.
I like Christian McCaffery however he has been hurt and missed time . Last 2 yr he has played 3 game and 7 games. So what are you trading ? I don't think bring in Christian McCaffery is going to fix the offense. I think they need to work on the O- Line and get everyone on the same page.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I like Lil Mac.. but ain't no help there if KS10 sucks as a play caller..

what result can happen when he calls a TE End Around on 3rd and 15?

Or what about " Mac in Motion Grappy fake right Deevah 12 Yard Cross & Fire " ..
It ain't Wilson. It's the scheme. He's just running in a KS scheme. With gloves dipped in oil. If you are putting on the ground you are making a difference, not the kind we want..

I'm on the anybody but Wilson train. Not to say he's off the team.. just give him a week or two to figure out the ball security issue.

First you damn well know SF isn't gonna trade for him. Second Wilson absolutely fits the scheme and has the vision burst you want. If it was just the scheme then sermon wouldn't have been cut.

look as a dumb fan id think it's cool to have CMC, looking at it logically our RBs aren't bad at all. We played with a JV defense last week and got down 14 quick. Running game is gone. We got a QB that doesn't allow for light boxes and plays out of the gun all game. It hurts the run game regardless of who's back there…CMC is much much better as a pass catcher and route runner so that's valuable. That also takes targets away from our other playmakers.
First you damn well know SF isn't gonna trade for him. Second Wilson absolutely fits the scheme and has the vision burst you want. If it was just the scheme then sermon wouldn't have been cut.

look as a dumb fan id think it's cool to have CMC, looking at it logically our RBs aren't bad at all. We played with a JV defense last week and got down 14 quick. Running game is gone. We got a QB that doesn't allow for light boxes and plays out of the gun all game. It hurts the run game regardless of who's back there…CMC is much much better as a pass catcher and route runner so that's valuable. That also takes targets away from our other playmakers.

The only thing we know is that Wilson is better than the other backs we have available. I'm not sure how we could say for certain that another RB wouldn't perform better. Our RB room is full unregarded players competing so see who's best.

The RBs we've let walk, Breida and mostert, are back to being unheard of.

I don't have an opinion, I'm just wondering how you reached yours
[ Edited by 5thSFG on Oct 18, 2022 at 5:59 PM ]

• 9moon
  • Veteran

The only thing we know is that Wilson is better than the other backs we have available. I'm not sure how we could say for certain that another RB wouldn't perform better. Our RB room is full unregarded players competing so see who's best.

BREIDA .. he sucked from the get go.. had some few games here and there.. but he sucked overall..

MOSTERT - he got traded because he asked for more money and KS10 believing that he found his back in SERMON.. then PRICE.. then MASON.. but back to COLEMAN..

I reach my opinion on the film thrown in here weekly, what I see and the numbers. Wilson is avg almost 5 ypc and like I said only 4 other RBs with at least as many carriers is doing better…and he's the backup.

people are complaining about the running game and I don't see how CMC magically makes that a whole hell of a lot better than almost 5 yard per carry…If we want to talk about pass catching ability that's different, but I don't think we're lacking in playmakers overall there either. Offense is better with him for sure. I just don't see him getting 100+ targets a year here like in NC.

I feel like we've seen so many RBs that gather up stats on one team for many reasons, go elsewhere and not replicate that. I'm not saying CMC wouldn't be good here or I wouldn't be happy as a fan…I just don't think it would magically make this offense worlds better. We still have the same QB who teams game plan accordingly. We still are forced or play out the gun with him (which shrinks the playbook dramatically) and overall our OL isn't run blocking as well as in the past.

IMO if we're talking bout trades and needs…RB is closer to the bottom of the list.
Originally posted by 9moon:
BREIDA .. he sucked from the get go.. had some few games here and there.. but he sucked overall..

MOSTERT - he got traded because he asked for more money and KS10 believing that he found his back in SERMON.. then PRICE.. then MASON.. but back to COLEMAN..

Mostert wasn't traded, he was a FA. Kyle replaced often injured Mostert with often injured Mitchell both who are good here when they play. Your a 49er history buff Mitchell broke the rookie RB rushing record last yr.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Oct 18, 2022 at 6:17 PM ]

I reach my opinion on the film thrown in here weekly, what I see and the numbers. Wilson is avg almost 5 ypc and like I said only 4 other RBs with at least as many carriers is doing better…and he's the backup.

If Mitchell comes back and immediately outperforms Wilson would it change your opinion at all? What if Mitchell averages 5.5 ypc?

and if that does change your opinion, wouldn't it also stand to reason that another RB could do better?

edit: I dont think we should trade for a RB… but I do think someone like CMC would be a big big improvement over what we have
[ Edited by 5thSFG on Oct 18, 2022 at 6:22 PM ]
If Mitchell comes back and immediately outperforms Wilson would it change your opinion at all? What if Mitchell averages 5.5 ypc?

and if that does change your opinion, wouldn't it also stand to reason that another RB could do better?

edit: I dont think we should trade for a RB… but I do think someone like CMC would be a big big improvement over what we have

I never said another RB can't do better. I'm saying that's not an issue right now. That's like saying we need another LBer. We're fine there. Would it be cool to have Roquan Smith next to Warner, sure. That's not the problem right now though.

I mean if Mitchell gets the ball a s**t ton the rest of the year and gets 5.5 yards per than we have the next Jonathan Taylor.

Running back isn't the reason we're not top 5 in running the ball.
Share 49ersWebzone