There are 177 users in the forums

2023 OPOY Christian McCaffrey, RB

Shop Find 49ers gear online

2023 OPOY Christian McCaffrey, RB

• fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan

Our offense appears to have "blue balls" as one pundit put it. In the spirit of "finishing the job", I cannot help but wonder if what would help us "put a little stroke" back in the O is not necessarily tied solely to who is under center, but who that person is handing off, consistently, the ball to. Hence, why last year, Deebo, helped us "get 'er done" because, quite frankly, he became RB1. But this year, everybody and their mama is expecting that. Jeff Wilson is serviceable, but has a history of failing to finish leading to "oopsie moments" that cause turnovers. Everyone else toting the rock is questionable, young, or hurt. I am going to avoid turning this into we need CMC, and instead, let those far smarter than me explain if he or somebody else, can un...ehm...(censored) the offense, which as a byproduct helps Jimmy, the YAC bros, and the defense, which is nursing many a wound.

I'll hang up and listen.

EDIT!
10/20/22

I GUESS THE NINERS DO THINK THEY NEED CMC!

DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES?! YES!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34842974/sources-panthers-trading-star-christian-mccaffrey-49ers

BLEEP YES
We should trade for Javonte Williams. He would fit right in with our identity of pounding the rock and getting injured. He's got 49er written all over him.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

When we know you're from the bay lol
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

When we know you're from the bay lol
CMC and the bay just go together

CMC was a local music channel that showed a lot of bay area artist
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Oct 18, 2022 at 2:26 PM ]
The Shannys have a long history of being able to put anyone in the back field and get results.

More no name RBs have produced than we can remember.

Every once in a while you get a Terrel Davis and the offense explodes.

On one hand you don't want to put draft capital in the RB because more often then not the offense will make some one functional, on the other hand...this offense needs something. RBs are a dime a dozen, or so the talking point goes....but if you're going to be near the top of the league in rushing attempts year in and year out... can't you justify putting some money in a RB?

If feels like the 49ers have a lot of 3rd stringers at RB, if the line makes a clean running lane...the offense can produce...but there have been thousands of RBs that can produce with some of the running lanes the 49ers have been getting. When the line fails, the running attack fails.

The average quality of RB in the NFL seems to have dropped in this era, maybe it is health concerns, maybe the best athletes have moved positions. It seems like WRs have gotten smaller, so the hyper athlete under 6 foot of yesteryear might just see a longer career at WR then RB.

It would be nice to get a back that could exploit cutbacks and navigate in the open field consistently, it would also be nice to get a back that can make something from nothing.

I get the deebo thing, Shanny 2.0 watched his dads work with guys Watters, and that general era had guys like Craig, Faulk heck even larry centers and dave megget. I like the x-factor we get with WRs in the backfield, but One of my favorite coaching points from both Bill Walsh and John Madden was something along the lines don't show a threat, be a threat.

The point was made that you move a guy like Watters out to WR, and it will in fact force a mismatch, but Watters is ALWAYS a mismatch. Out wide, in the backfield in the slot...no matter were he goes he is a mismatch. Putting him out wide, can force a team to defend the down and distance, not the personal, at the cost of showing the defense an intention. Keeping Watters in the backfield and the threat does not go away, you just didn't give a run/pass intention. The defense has to consider both the run and the pass.

I can't help but think the Shanny offense would be better with a RB that can do some of the things Deebo can do. There is a hell of a pedigree of average fringe NFL running backs being at least some what functional in that offense. A duel threat RB is likely not going to be any worse than what we are seeing at RB right now. Sure a guy like CM would be absolutely bonkers, but even a CM nock off would help a ton.
The team needs to rejuvenate itself, what they have isn't producing. Mostert was a homerun threat and better than anyone here, but they let him walk. CMC would add juice to the lineup. Time to shake things up.
Our offensive line healthy and our 1st string fast RB would help us. Yes that's true. In addition to our defense getting more healthy and dominating. We just have so many injuries right now.
Wood be nice to have a reliable bell cow.... havent had that since Gire

Mike McDaniels
CMC would feast in this offense. It wouldn't be fair.

not sure if he's worth the price tag, nor is he a lock to stay healthy…. But damn that would be sick
How does drafting a difference maker change that last 49er drive? Down by 14 with 10 minutes left and they burn 8 min off the clock and end up with no points.

Dudes injury prone already. It'll take kyle 2 games to get the guy injured again.
[ Edited by maximusdecimus on Oct 18, 2022 at 4:02 PM ]
he will probably get injured during warm ups of practice with the way things are going here.
Originally posted by maximusdecimus:
How does drafting a difference maker change that last 49er drive? Down by 14 with 10 minutes left and they burn 8 min off the clock and end up with no points.

Dudes injury prone already. It'll take kyle 2 games to get the guy injured again.

Awwe I didn't know we were only talking about that one drive. Apologies, I'm not good at understanding context.

I may not be the only one
Share 49ersWebzone