LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

S Tashaun Gipson

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by NCommand:
My guess is that hamstring tear was pretty bad. Ward might start the year on I.R.

Thanks NC for thinking worst case scenario.

Haha. I was just playing the odds here. After all, it IS Jimmie Hammy Ward.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
My guess is that hamstring tear was pretty bad. Ward might start the year on I.R.

Ward sounded highly optimistic that he should be fine leading to week 1. It's not even a tear by the way smh
You're possibly thinking of Charvarius Ward who had what was described as a muscle strain. Jimmie Ward on the other hand was being described as a hamstring pull (at least) which is a little more serious. They refer to CW as Mooney to separate the two.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Kyle was quoted as saying this was a rather "serious" injury. To me, that sounds like a Grade 3 strain/tear. According to a couple of med sites I frequent, such an injury can take up to 3 months for full recovery. Hence this Gipson signing. It is insurance against this "serious" injury delaying Ward's return beyond Game 1.

So we should not be surprised if Ward starts on the IR list.

you said nothing wrong

KS did say it was a significant tear
Ward going to be out a while
  • dj43
Originally posted by lamontb:
KS did say it was a significant tear

From what I read, he didn't say tear. He just said "injury." Let's hope it is not a tear but rather a significant strain. A tear will result in scar tissue forming which will limit movement.
Well in either case Gipson > Moore and Odom at S
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49ers808:

Odom's primary role is on Special Teams. He is just so-so as a safety.

Moore has good potential if he is fully recovered from the injury.

To be honest, Gipson was available to sign at this time because he isn't very good. PFF rated him as "replacement" grade in all three categories; run defense, coverage, and pass rush. Overall, he is what he was signed for - a replacement in case someone better cannot play. Hence, he will get some run against Houston but won't see the field for defensive snaps barring an injury to one of the starters.
  • thl408

Possibly. Neither Moore or Odum have extensive starting experience. Gipson may be slower at 32, but he's seen it all in terms of what an offense can throw at the defense. If the 49ers pass rush is good, then I'm fine going with the safety that won't be lost in coverage and has experience and confidence making presnap adjustments, even if his athleticism wasn't what it used to be.
Originally posted by dj43:

Odom's primary role is on Special Teams. He is just so-so as a safety.

Moore has good potential if he is fully recovered from the injury.

To be honest, Gipson was available to sign at this time because he isn't very good. PFF rated him as "replacement" grade in all three categories; run defense, coverage, and pass rush. Overall, he is what he was signed for - a replacement in case someone better cannot play. Hence, he will get some run against Houston but won't see the field for defensive snaps barring an injury to one of the starters.

This is all true but Odom and Moore is who would be replacing Ward if he's out for some time. Gipson is better "right now" then them for reasons you mentioned and because he has sooooooo much more experience, even much more than Hufanga. With our defense and aspirations; I would feel much more confident trotting a veteran safety out there with TH than Moore/Odom for the time being until Ward is back or as you said; Moore is fully recovered (I think this is who he is though tbh)

Possibly. Neither Moore or Odum have extensive starting experience. Gipson may be slower at 32, but he's seen it all in terms of what an offense can throw at the defense. If the 49ers pass rush is good, then I'm fine going with the safety that won't be lost in coverage and has experience and confidence making presnap adjustments, even if his athleticism wasn't what it used to be.

Great minds think alike. I think I was posting as you posted this
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Haha. I was just playing the odds here. After all, it IS Jimmie Hammy Ward.
Agree on Ward going to IR.

Talanoa also has had health issues in college too. But he was relatively healthy last year and is talented. I'm hoping Ward comes back sooner than later, because that defense is going to have to carry the team while Trey kicks off the training wheels.
  • thl408

49ers play CHI week 1. What a coincidence, Gipson played for CHI the past two seasons.

49ers play CHI week 1. What a coincidence, Gipson played for CHI the past two seasons.
Gip will be our 2022 Josh Norman
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Aug 22, 2022 at 10:20 AM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Gip will be our 2022 Josh Norman

Share 49ersWebzone