There are 160 users in the forums

New Jersey Numbers(Free Agents, & Returning Players)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Retired numbers in my opinion is dumb. I do not think anyones gonna forget Montana wore 16 or that Rice wore 80. As long as the players who receive the numbers treat them with respect like the #2 at Michigan.

Totally disagree. Its an honor reserved for the greats. Nobody should ever wear 16 or 80 again. Imagine some crappy 3rd string TE wearing 80, or a kicker wearing 16. Certain numbers are synonymous with team history itself, and need to remain out of circulation. There is no logistical issue with finding numbers for 53 players.

Yeah I don't see a problem with it. it's not like that player is trying to make me forget about Rice and Montana. You will have a problem when you keep having to retire numbers that's why it's dumb. 52 and 21 should be retired and I'd say 74 deserves it as well if you're gonna be retiring numbers. Then in 15+ years 85, 97, 5, 54 and 19 will be in conversations to be retired. Long term it's not sustainable
Retired numbers in my opinion is dumb. I do not think anyones gonna forget Montana wore 16 or that Rice wore 80. As long as the players who receive the numbers treat them with respect like the #2 at Michigan.

Totally disagree. Its an honor reserved for the greats. Nobody should ever wear 16 or 80 again. Imagine some crappy 3rd string TE wearing 80, or a kicker wearing 16. Certain numbers are synonymous with team history itself, and need to remain out of circulation. There is no logistical issue with finding numbers for 53 players.

Yeah I don't see a problem with it. it's not like that player is trying to make me forget about Rice and Montana. You will have a problem when you keep having to retire numbers that's why it's dumb. 52 and 21 should be retired and I'd say 74 deserves it as well if you're gonna be retiring numbers. Then in 15+ years 85, 97, 5, 54 and 19 will be in conversations to be retired. Long term it's not sustainable

When will they have a problem? 53 numbers needed, 99 numbers possible. The 49ers have retired 13 numbers in 75 seasons. 15 if you make Gore and Willis official. That leaves 31 free numbers. Even if we retired 15 numbers every 75 years, we wouldn't actually run out of numbers until the year 2172. The NFL isn't going to exist 100 years from now.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

Sure, for "the greats". We've lowered the bar on what "great" means. Why would Staley get the same treatment as Montana and Rice? They're not in the same tier. That's not hating on Staley. Even he would tell you he doesn't belong in that conversation.
Originally posted by okdkid:

Sure, for "the greats". We've lowered the bar on what "great" means. Why would Staley get the same treatment as Montana and Rice? They're not in the same tier. That's not hating on Staley. Even he would tell you he doesn't belong in that conversation.

I never said Staley's number should be retired.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran

I can only speak for the players I saw w/the 49ers... but IMO, the below #s should not be touched ever again..

Originally posted by 9moon:
I can only speak for the players I saw w/the 49ers... but IMO, the below #s should not be touched ever again..

Young is the only Niner who has ever worn 8. That one should be on the list.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran

Young is the only Niner who has ever worn 8. That one should be on the list.

I forgot about 8... dang... TRUE TRUE !!!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
My favorite 49er numbers (in addition to all the retired numbers) -- 33, 74, 94, 95, 26
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
My favorite 49er numbers (in addition to all the retired numbers) -- 33, 74, 94, 95, 26

21 should also be considered... not because of Deion.. or Gore.. but Eric Wright.. he had as much to do w/the 49ers' dynasty as Ronnie Lott did..

21 should also be considered... not because of Deion.. or Gore.. but Eric Wright.. he had as much to do w/the 49ers' dynasty as Ronnie Lott did..

Why would Deion even be considered?

• 9moon
  • Veteran

WHAT part of NOT BECAUSE OF DEION did you not get ?

Coffee anyone ?

WHAT part of NOT BECAUSE OF DEION did you not get ?

Coffee anyone ?

Well he clearly popped in your head. I think most rational people wouldn't even mention him but I forgot who I was talking too.

When will they have a problem? 53 numbers needed, 99 numbers possible. The 49ers have retired 13 numbers in 75 seasons. 15 if you make Gore and Willis official. That leaves 31 free numbers. Even if we retired 15 numbers every 75 years, we wouldn't actually run out of numbers until the year 2172. The NFL isn't going to exist 100 years from now.

Probably will
Originally posted by okdkid:

It's such a stupid fan item. You're right. Let great players be great. When they give up their job they give up their number. Put a statue out front. Give them a halftime ceremony.

Not only that, but how often is that great historical player mentioned in relation to that # when the new player wearing it makes a great play? Retiring numbers is dumb.
[ Edited by WINiner on May 15, 2022 at 12:06 PM ]
Have a feeling Burford will change from #74 before the season once more lineman are cut. Remember when we issued Hightower #21 lol.

I'm definitely in the party of great players having their numbers retired, especially now with the new numbers rule. #21, #52, and #74 should all be retired and put in our ring of honor. Still look at #53 and #94 being issued and feel bad about it, but those are a little more understandable IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone