There are 225 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erF90:
I think the scouts of all the other teams have scouted Brock Purdy on paper only so they all decided that if ever Purdy is going to a team, it would be as an undrafted free agent. However, someone or a couple from the 49ers organization had done a remarkable (or above and beyond) due diligence before submitting their scouting report about an under the radar QB who can be "The One".

I can basically see the motion picture now, as you describe it
I think the scouts of all the other teams have scouted Brock Purdy on paper only so they all decided that if ever Purdy is going to a team, it would be as an undrafted free agent. However, someone or a couple from the 49ers organization had done a remarkable (or above and beyond) due diligence before submitting their scouting report about an under the radar QB who can be "The One".

And then proceed to take a QB that they think can be "The One" after giving every single NFL team the chance to get him with all rounds and all picks in the draft? Nah, they got lucky, pure and simple
Originally posted by 49ers808:

And then proceed to take a QB that they think can be "The One" after giving every single NFL team the chance to get him with all rounds and all picks in the draft? Nah, they got lucky, pure and simple

Just wait til they do the hollywood music like in Rudy ppl will believe it wasnt luck, it was destiny
Originally posted by tankle104:
The story I read was that Kyle asked his guys to find a young qb that we could develop. I believe the two guys who spent the most time on it was Griese & Klay Kubiak. I may have that wrong but it was sometbing along those lines. They banged the table for Purdy and liked him so much that we chose to use our final pick on him instead of trying to get him as an UDFA. Kyle may of had a little to do with it but Lynch went out of his way to give those two credit for really doing all the work to find Purdy.

when Kyle is involved, he's actually pretty bad at drafting QBs. Best one he has ever got was Cousins. Lol which I don't think is a great thing. Lol every one else he has drafted has sucked or not shown anything yet. (He didn't really want RGIII but did good with him before his injury.)

brock said he didn't have any contact with anyone else in the organization besides Griese & Klay.

"QB coach, Brian Griese, who's a first-time coach at any

level, studied college QBs (about 15 in all) along with
assistant QB coach Klay Kubiak. They presented their
grades and evaluations to the rest of the staff before the
draft. The 49ers had Trey Lance, backup Nate Sudfeld
and plenty of other draft needs, but Griese and Kubiak
saw something in Purdy.
Griese is big on accuracy and intangibles, saying, "I think
accuracy is undervalued. I think leadership is
undervalued. I know that we valued the fact that Brock
was selfless. He was humble. Relationships mattered to
him."
I don't think the Niners would have drafted Purdy if not
for Brian Griese making a case to the staff."

Griese looks to be a pretty good qb coach too, he had Jimmy playing the best he ever has for us last year, and you could definitely tell the difference between Purdy against the chiefs and Purdy against the Dolphins.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
The story I read was that Kyle asked his guys to find a young qb that we could develop. I believe the two guys who spent the most time on it was Griese & Klay Kubiak. I may have that wrong but it was sometbing along those lines. They banged the table for Purdy and liked him so much that we chose to use our final pick on him instead of trying to get him as an UDFA. Kyle may of had a little to do with it but Lynch went out of his way to give those two credit for really doing all the work to find Purdy.

when Kyle is involved, he's actually pretty bad at drafting QBs. Best one he has ever got was Cousins. Lol which I don't think is a great thing. Lol every one else he has drafted has sucked or not shown anything yet. (He didn't really want RGIII but did good with him before his injury.)

brock said he didn't have any contact with anyone else in the organization besides Griese & Klay.

saw something in Purdy.
him."

Griese looks to be a pretty good qb coach too, he had Jimmy playing the best he ever has for us last year, and you could definitely tell the difference between Purdy against the chiefs and Purdy against the Dolphins.

I couldn't, when did he play the chefs?
Originally posted by SLCNiner:

Came in late after it got outta hand.

saw something in Purdy.
him."

He played 1-2 series against them in garbage time when they blew us out in week 7. I don't think there was enough of Purdy in that game to take anything away from it.

well, duh [Grant Cohn assumes fetal position and sucks thumb]
[ Edited by riverrunzthruit on Jun 9, 2023 at 5:54 PM ]

saw something in Purdy.
him."

Yeah, it wasn't much and very late in the game. It was a blow out so they threw him in. He had some nice throws. I think he threw a pick though. He threw three as the starter and one then. Wasn't a terrible pick but he was being pretty aggressive down field.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

saw something in Purdy.
him."

He played 1-2 series against them in garbage time when they blew us out in week 7. I don't think there was enough of Purdy in that game to take anything away from it.

Yeah, I agree. There were some nice completions to Ray Ray but that's it. It was garbage time. I think it's really hard to tell anytbing about a qb in garbage time cause the type of defense usually played.

Originally posted by 49ers808:

Anytime anyone gets a qb that turns out to be great (not saying Brock is, but in general) - they're lucky. Lol cause it's so hard to find and takes a massive mix of variables to go right. Even if it's first overall, IMO. With Brock, if he turns out to be continually great, it'll big a mix of luck and hard work from two guys. The organization as a whole will be the luckiest.

reminds me of when the colts considered taking Ryan leaf over manning.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
The inverse to this argument is that physical traits mean nothing, Maybe we should sign a quadruple amputee as our backup QB if he understands coverages and the playbook.

If someone in here is arguing that Trey has the higher ceiling than Purdy based on his physical traits alone? Then I get the jokes.

But I find most people view his physical traits as a part of the equation, not the whole thing, making this joke inaccurate at best and a sign of their own bias against Trey at worst.

Its hyperbole. Fun stuff, nothing more, I reckon.

Of course with Trey he has much more than very good physical traits--he's got a good mind, seems to have great character and is motivated to improve.

It is funny though, how you can fill in the blank with any Adonis and almost make the same "upside" argument.
[ Edited by WestCoastForever on Jun 9, 2023 at 8:51 PM ]

saw something in Purdy.
him."

Yeah, it wasn't much and very late in the game. It was a blow out so they threw him in. He had some nice throws. I think he threw a pick though. He threw three as the starter and one then. Wasn't a terrible pick but he was being pretty aggressive down field.

I'm not sure that is the best situation from which to evaluate a quarterback. I guess I stopped watching by the time he got in.
Hey river, maybe we should remind people about what you said after Trey's injury. It's like Trey broke up with your mom or something. Give it a rest.

Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
I'm fascinated by Trey's ceiling so I can't jump immediately on the Brock bandwagon.

I can't jump on any bandwagon after we passed up on the chance to develop Vance McDonald at QB. He was so big, so strong, so fast, his ceiling as a QB was just out of this world. I'm still not over it

Dumb and dumber lol

dude even had a broken finger nail, couldn't even grip the ball, they never gave him a chance...but his ceiling was so high at QB

It's not like he woulda been far behind Trey and his 1 season coming into the league lol. We shoulda set him up with that Mahomes QB coach and just let him develop. I love what Brock did, but he will never be Vance. That's just a fact

Just me but the winning touchdown to John Taylor from Joe wasn't a rocket arm throw. I think Vance would have been a great tight end though.

fore reals, if we just coulda hooked up Vance with Mahomes QB guru that could have made the difference

The inverse to this argument is that physical traits mean nothing, Maybe we should sign a quadruple amputee as our backup QB if he understands coverages and the playbook.

If someone in here is arguing that Trey has the higher ceiling than Purdy based on his physical traits alone? Then I get the jokes.

But I find most people view his physical traits as a part of the equation, not the whole thing, making this joke inaccurate at best and a sign of their own bias against Trey at worst.

If physical traits didn't matter then colt McCoy and Kellen Moore would have been 1st rd picks and crushing it in the league.

Go look at some of our best players. Trent Williams, physical traits for days. Kittle and Warner were elite SPARQ score athletes. Deebo was built like a RB, but has 4.4 speed and movement skills like a WR.he was a unicorn physically… Dude looked elite at the senior bowl. Nick Bosa is an elite athlete with technique skills of a pro-bowler coming into the league.

Yes you have to have it above the neck as well…especially at QB. I mean objectively do people think Lance is stupid or lacking football IQ? I don't and neither did SF.

I mean you're arguing with two of the biggest lance haters and least objective posters in here.
Share 49ersWebzone