LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 396 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by tankle104:
You got his jersey?! I've considered it but have held off.
I was reading that Lamar is seeking $50M a year.. who the hell can afford that and still have a decent roster? Purdys salary isn't even currently counting against the salary cap. Lol

honestly, I'm all for players getting paid but these qb contracts are getting out of control. There needs to be a reset. No reason they shouldn't be getting $25-$40M at most. I really hope Purdy (or whoever our qb is) understands this like Brady did and doesn't try to take every single penny. As fans, we should throw a fit if anyone on our roster demands that much. I don't want to watch the 49ers with a highly paid qb and them trying to shoulder everything around them. Odds of winning a super bowl is almost non existent at that point.

no qb on a max contract has ever won a super bowl.

The Commanders are about to be sold for $6Billion+...NFL TV contracts are f**king nuts...as well as other NFL licenses rights.

It's not the QBs that need to be held back, the salary cap needs to increase for these players.

You look at the league... you look at it for a while now and QBs are hard to find... IN THE WHOLE F'N WORLD we can only find a certain # of legit starting QBs in this league? If that is the case, then their value needs to increase. This doesn't mean Lamar is better than some other top rated QB at their position... it just means, if a team can't get that other top rated QB.. then they have to get what's available, that can win them games. And Lamar has done his part to help his team win games. If the Ravens don't sign him to a huge contract, some other team will... because again, you need a QB that can win in this league. To help justify the cost of tickets... to bring in other talent... to not look like an embarrassment in front of millions every week for 17 weeks...as well as National Television every now and then.

Ravens are banking on Lamar sticking with them, we'll see.

I'm glad you have compassion for the players but they are way past being under paid. When the salaries go up so do ticket prices and TV access costs. Their salaries are rising way faster than any other profession. I don't want to hear that noise about short careers. They chose the career so they should accept the fact that it could end quickly. They can go out and get another job doing things normal people do. Most of them have a degree or at last 3 years of college. That's way better than the average person. If they're worried about injuries cutting their career short then invest or bank all the money from your early contracts. If they can make it 5 years then they should have a decent nest egg.

Yeah, and I agree with you. They should increase the salary cap. My understanding is that it does increase as nfl revenue does. I'm assuming they need to negotiate a larger percentage of profits, maybe they are? I hope so.

but until then, the players need to look out for each other on the roster too and not just themselves. That's way more complex and easier said than done, but it's a team sport. When one guy eats up a huge chunk of the salary - it only impacts the fans and teammates, not the team owners. Some guys have to uproot their family, or in situations like gould, move away from their family to get paid. When you're making $40M, $5M isn't going to change your life. You can easily make that money in endorsements. A lot of guys on the roster that aren't stars, don't really have those same off the field opportunities.

im not sympathetic towards the owners and understand the players dilemmas. Idk the exact answer but for such a team sport, there is a lot of "me me me" when it comes to massive paydays and only the players and fans suffer from it. Fans because they quality of our team and players cause they have to leave either good situations and/or uproot their families.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
49erATT seems kinda triggered by the confidence in Brock.

Doesnt read as triggered. More like let's wait and get a bigger sample. I would agree.

Been down this path with Kap and Jimmy. Need larger samples. Stuff Brock succeeded at was definitely more repeatable since it wasn't based on improv but still demands a larger sample.

Cautiously optimistic.

He said that he would lose his job if he didn't inrove and correct deficiencies.
every single player would lose their depth spot/job if they didn't improve or correct deficiencies.. lol what kind of post is this

Every player has deficiencies that they never correct and lots don'tosw their job.

If he plays as he did all last year, why should he lose his job?

You also called him a flash in the pan.

Doesnt read as triggered. More like let's wait and get a bigger sample. I would agree.

Been down this path with Kap and Jimmy. Need larger samples. Stuff Brock succeeded at was definitely more repeatable since it wasn't based on improv but still demands a larger sample.

Cautiously optimistic.
nothing in life is guaranteed and nothing stays the same

If you follow the 49ers.. we've gotten excited about Alex Smith, Shaun Hill, Kaep, Mullens, Jimmy G and now Purdy.

I'm just saying the odds are not in favor of just picking up where we left off.. and Purdy coming off major surgery to boot. If Purdy wasn't injured i would feel better.

But right now, i just see the QB position as a big ?

No one was excited about Alex in his rookie year.

And Shaun Hill? LOL
i swear every post is ignorance from you lol

as for past QB history.. i've been hear for all of it, so stop the BS

Who was excited about Alex after his first 8 games played? He had 1 TD and 11 INTs in his first season.

Claiming people were as excited for him were as excited for Alex after his rookie years they are for Brock is silly.

You compared the excitement for Hill, Smith and Mullens to the excitement for Purdy...come on, man!
lol i was here and saw all the excitement.. .. What you are doing now is mixing end results of past players to the infancy of Purdy's excitement

You wrote:
If you follow the 49ers.. we've gotten excited about Alex Smith, Shaun Hill, Kaep, Mullens, Jimmy G and now Purdy.

I don't think you were paying attention because no one excited for any of those guys other than maybe Jimmy like people are excited about Brock and Jimmy didn't get the national hype Brock got.
I know what I've said. I'm here all the time and seen all that has gone by. Posters were even excited for Nate Davis

Rhe level of excitement for any of these players from fans and the media were nowhere near what they are for Purdy.

You're probably new to the 49ers.
yeah i'm new to the 49ers, so lame lol
Originally posted by Giedi:
Agree 💯% that Brock is QB1. The only unknowns are his rehab and health of his arm. Other than that, he's QB1 - all else being equal (health etc...)

I am still super excited about Trey, who I think will follow more of a Steve Young type of development. I truly think that a QB's athleticism sometimes does slow down a QB's passing development. I know Steve could rely on his running ability to get himself out of trouble, and he did that too often, and so I think that slowed his development down. Same with Trey, he has a wonderful speed and athleticism to take off if he's in trouble, instead of being able to develop that 6th sense that Brock seems to have with the passing offense. So in a sense, Trey's ability to run becomes more of a crutch, and hence that does (I think) affect his pace in learning of the passing game. If you can run and escape, it becomes less dire to REALLY learn the offense because of said escapalability. If you are a Nick Mullens, and slow as molasses, your only means to survive the NFL game is to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible before those 300 lb guys flatten you and destroy your body.

I honestly think the reason why super athletic QBs aren't great passers, and they're usually African-Americans, are cause their coaches in highschool and college don't hone their passing skills the same as they do non athletic guys who have to rely on passing. They're just depending on them running and throwing wide open passes because teams are hesitant of the player running. That doesn't work as well in the pros unless you're a super freak like Lamar, and even then that has its limitations.

these young super athletic QBs growing up need to tell these coaches no, hone their passing. That way they're TRUE dual threats.

i assess a qb by saying "if I don't run him at all, like a traditional qb, can he stand in the pocket and pass the ball properly?" If not, I don't want them. Because the run stuff will eventually fade and/or wear them down. They need to get better coaching like the non athletic guys do so they're super QBs.

historically, most super athletic QBs struggle to get even 60% completion. That's bad and it's a Trend for a reason. It'll eventually change but I believe that's a huge problem with them coming into the pros.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 31, 2023 at 1:58 PM ]

Cautiously optimistic.

He said that he would lose his job if he didn't inrove and correct deficiencies.
every single player would lose their depth spot/job if they didn't improve or correct deficiencies.. lol what kind of post is this

Every player has deficiencies that they never correct and lots don'tosw their job.

Cautiously optimistic.

I'm just saying the odds are not in favor of just picking up where we left off.. and Purdy coming off major surgery to boot. If Purdy wasn't injured i would feel better.

And Shaun Hill? LOL

Who was excited about Alex after his first 8 games played? He had 1 TD and 11 INTs in his first season.

Claiming people were as excited for him were as excited for Alex after his rookie years they are for Brock is silly.

You compared the excitement for Hill, Smith and Mullens to the excitement for Purdy...come on, man!
lol i was here and saw all the excitement.. .. What you are doing now is mixing end results of past players to the infancy of Purdy's excitement

You wrote:

I don't think you were paying attention because no one excited for any of those guys other than maybe Jimmy like people are excited about Brock and Jimmy didn't get the national hype Brock got.
I know what I've said. I'm here all the time and seen all that has gone by. Posters were even excited for Nate Davis

Rhe level of excitement for any of these players from fans and the media were nowhere near what they are for Purdy.

You are here claiming the excitement for Alex Smith, Shawn Hill, Nate Davis and Nick Mullens was the same as the excitement Brock has generated.

Maybe you are being dishonest.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
You got his jersey?! I've considered it but have held off.
I was reading that Lamar is seeking $50M a year.. who the hell can afford that and still have a decent roster? Purdys salary isn't even currently counting against the salary cap. Lol

honestly, I'm all for players getting paid but these qb contracts are getting out of control. There needs to be a reset. No reason they shouldn't be getting $25-$40M at most. I really hope Purdy (or whoever our qb is) understands this like Brady did and doesn't try to take every single penny. As fans, we should throw a fit if anyone on our roster demands that much. I don't want to watch the 49ers with a highly paid qb and them trying to shoulder everything around them. Odds of winning a super bowl is almost non existent at that point.

no qb on a max contract has ever won a super bowl.

The Commanders are about to be sold for $6Billion+...NFL TV contracts are f**king nuts...as well as other NFL licenses rights.

It's not the QBs that need to be held back, the salary cap needs to increase for these players.

You look at the league... you look at it for a while now and QBs are hard to find... IN THE WHOLE F'N WORLD we can only find a certain # of legit starting QBs in this league? If that is the case, then their value needs to increase. This doesn't mean Lamar is better than some other top rated QB at their position... it just means, if a team can't get that other top rated QB.. then they have to get what's available, that can win them games. And Lamar has done his part to help his team win games. If the Ravens don't sign him to a huge contract, some other team will... because again, you need a QB that can win in this league. To help justify the cost of tickets... to bring in other talent... to not look like an embarrassment in front of millions every week for 17 weeks...as well as National Television every now and then.

Ravens are banking on Lamar sticking with them, we'll see.

I'm glad you have compassion for the players but they are way past being under paid. When the salaries go up so do ticket prices and TV access costs. Their salaries are rising way faster than any other profession. I don't want to hear that noise about short careers. They chose the career so they should accept the fact that it could end quickly. They can go out and get another job doing things normal people do. Most of them have a degree or at last 3 years of college. That's way better than the average person. If they're worried about injuries cutting their career short then invest or bank all the money from your early contracts. If they can make it 5 years then they should have a decent nest egg.

It's not so much that I have compassion for players, but more so I have LESS compassion for these billionaire owners. And you should take that stance as well.

That underline part doesn't have to be true...the owners make those decisions. If they feel it's not good business for them anymore, there are other billionaires and groups that have been trying HARD to get these prized ownership opportunities for many years now. But the current NFL owners are VERY picky who they let in their group.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
I honestly think the reason why super athletic QBs aren't great passers, and they're usually African-Americans, are cause their coaches in highschool and college don't hone their passing skills the same as they do non athletic guys who have to rely on passing. They're just depending on them running and throwing wide open passes because teams are hesitant of the player running. That doesn't work as well in the pros unless you're a super freak like Lamar, and even then that has its limitations.

these young super athletic QBs growing up need to tell these coaches no, hone their passing. That way they're TRUE dual threats.

i assess a qb by saying "if I don't run him at all, like a traditional qb, can he stand in the pocket and pass the ball properly?" If not, I don't want them. Because the run stuff will eventually fade and/or wear them down. They need to get better coaching like the non athletic guys do so they're super QBs.

historically, most super athletic QBs struggle to get even 60% completion. That's bad and it's a Trend for a reason. It'll eventually change but I believe that's a huge problem with them coming into the pros.

I think the reason is because they are so naturally gifted and the best athletes on the field that they don't work on the QBing aspects.

Then when they do, their body and mind aren't trained for it. So even though they work on it, when bullets start flying they resort back to what they know.

That is part of the reason I don't believe in QBs fixing accuracy once they get into the league. When the bullets start flying, your footwork, mechanics or "flight" instincts resort back to what they know.

It seemed like Trey's showcase was a good example. Game was close, he was struggling passing went back to running.

I don't think race has anything to do with it. I also don't put the blame on the coaches. A lot of the time it's the QB running. When the coaches are the ones calling it, there's usually a good reason why. Remember they have a job to do too. Families to feed
https://youtu.be/Ac4gegZgn2U
here is a link to an interview that Brock just did discussing his rehab etc. i haven't finished it but wanted to post it for all to check out as I'm listening to it.
Originally posted by krizay:

I think the reason is because they are so naturally gifted and the best athletes on the field that they don't work on the QBing aspects.

Then when they do, their body and mind aren't trained for it. So even though they work on it, when bullets start flying they resort back to what they know.

That is part of the reason I don't believe in QBs fixing accuracy once they get into the league. When the bullets start flying, your footwork, mechanics or "flight" instincts resort back to what they know.

It seemed like Trey's showcase was a good example. Game was close, he was struggling passing went back to running.

I don't think race has anything to do with it. I also don't put the blame on the coaches. A lot of the time it's the QB running. When the coaches are the ones calling it, there's usually a good reason why. Remember they have a job to do too. Families to feed

I want to be clear, I don't think race has anything to do with anyones capabilities. I 100% believe that any race can become a great quarterback if they have the right intangibles. I just think it's usually African Americans QBs who are dominant athletes most of the time at the position.

i think it's a lot on the coaching though. Coaches just do what they need to win, which if they can rely on their athleticism over coaching them up to be dominant passers and still win - they rock with it. I'm just saying if my coach tries to run me all the time because I'm one of the best athletes in the field, I'd say no.
ill run when necessary and I'm specific positions - but I'm playing quarterback for a reason. Coach me up that way. That's my opinion on it. That's best for me long term.

don't coach me up like we are Playing wildcat every play. We have running back and skill positions for a reason.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 31, 2023 at 2:18 PM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
I want to be clear, I don't think race has anything to do with anyones capabilities. I 100% believe that any race can become a great quarterback if they have the right intangibles. I just think it's usually African Americans QBs who are dominant athletes most of the time at the position.

i think it's a lot on the coaching though. Coaches just do what they need to win, which if they can rely on their athleticism over coaching them up to be dominant passers and still win - they rock with it. I'm just saying if my coach tries to run me all the time because I'm one of the best athletes in the field, I'd say no.
ill run when necessary and I'm specific positions - but I'm playing quarterback for a reason. Coach me up that way. That's my opinion on it. That's best for me long term.

don't coach me up like we are Playing wildcat every play. We have running back and skill positions for a reason.

But you have to be able to pass to do so. When you get to college, you don't have time to get developed from the ground up. If you're not a passer, you will get benched and transfer to Oklahoma(Hurts and Kyler Murray)

If you refuse to run and struggle passing you're definitely hitting the transfer portal
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Cautiously optimistic.

Cautiously optimistic.

And Shaun Hill? LOL

You wrote:

You are here claiming the excitement for Alex Smith, Shawn Hill, Nate Davis and Nick Mullens was the same as the excitement Brock has generated.

Or doesn't understand there are different levels of "excitement." Lol

Cautiously optimistic.

Cautiously optimistic.

And Shaun Hill? LOL

You wrote:

again more BS from you. I haven't claimed that. lol

Stop trying to spin this
Originally posted by Furlow:

Cautiously optimistic.

Cautiously optimistic.

And Shaun Hill? LOL

You wrote:

ah the two spin doctors lol ..now there are "levels" so lame
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Mar 31, 2023 at 2:34 PM ]

Cautiously optimistic.

Cautiously optimistic.

And Shaun Hill? LOL

You wrote:

ah the two spin doctors lol ..now there are "levels" so lame

what DEFCON are we at now?

Cautiously optimistic.

Cautiously optimistic.

And Shaun Hill? LOL

You wrote:

Cautiously optimistic.

Cautiously optimistic.

And Shaun Hill? LOL

You wrote:

again more BS from you. I haven't claimed that. lol

Stop trying to spin this

You posted this:
https://youtu.be/Ac4gegZgn2U
here is a link to an interview that Brock just did discussing his rehab etc. i haven't finished it but wanted to post it for all to check out as I'm listening to it.

Love this kid man. Ready to start refining that footwork immediately. Thanks for posting
Share 49ersWebzone