LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 167 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
I don't get it, Brock showed enough to possibly be our FQB for the next decade. Trey hasn't shown enough yet, so it's literally the perfect scenario to not only give Brock enough time to heal without causing further damage, while getting the chance to evaluate TL. Kyle doesn't need to face what could be a difficult decision, and Purdy isn't under any pressure to get back on the field before he's ready. What's the actual problem here?

There is no problem. People making it a thing are people that have some underlining issue with Lance. They will pretend they would be cool if he does well, but it's not true. It would mean they're wrong and for whatever reason that matters more in a fan forum lol. People are stupid man.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I don't get it, Brock showed enough to possibly be our FQB for the next decade. Trey hasn't shown enough yet, so it's literally the perfect scenario to not only give Brock enough time to heal without causing further damage, while getting the chance to evaluate TL. Kyle doesn't need to face what could be a difficult decision, and Purdy isn't under any pressure to get back on the field before he's ready. What's the actual problem here?

There is no problem. People making it a thing are people that have some underlining issue with Lance. They will pretend they would be cool if he does well, but it's not true. It would mean they're wrong and for whatever reason that matters more in a fan forum lol. People are stupid man.

We couldn't possibly think that a QB that basically has 2 years experience in his life (mainly against HS level comp) might cost us games in a potential SB season. It's because we are stupid and want to be right. Got it
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on Mar 21, 2023 at 12:52 PM ]
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:

We couldn't possibly think that a QB that basically has 2 years experience in his life (mainly against HS level comp) might cost us games in a potential SB season. It's because we are stupid and want to be right. Got it

How would he cost us a potential SB season? If he is clearly costing the team games and Brock is healthy, a change will be made. The 49ers are not a team that desperately needs home field advantage to advance. If we have a team that's good enough to win it, we will.

Agreed. In fact, when I asked a poster what criteria Trey would need to meet to keep his job when Brock was healthy they could not give a straight answer. He was leaving it all up to interpretation so he could continue to move the goal posts if Trey was playing well and the team was winning.

Brock had a damn good run but chinks in his armor started to show when facing playoff level competition. The 49ers invested a lot in Trey and it wouldn't be fair for either him or the organization to not see his rookie contract through. I like both QB's and would love to see both become successful. If both QB's are given the opportunity to prove themselves as legit QB's, that is the best scenario for this franchise.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Big Ben tore three flexor tendons off the bone, is that exactly the same as what happened with Purdy? I'm not being a smart ass - it's a serious question. It's hard to find specific details on these surgeries? I guess better said, is it the same type of surgery and rehab?

Also, Delhomme and Big Ben were old af when it happened . Do we know if either of them had healthy tissue? Brocks was healthy, so that was ideal as possible.
Both were 12+ years in the league with a lot of wear and tear.
https://www.ninersnation.com/platform/amp/2023/3/21/23650141/brock-purdy-jeff-dugas-nick-mullens-49ers-ucl-surgery

here is a new article that just came out

Apparently there is a big difference between a repair and reconstruction. I'm just not sure which each qb had yet. Looks like Brock's was a repair.

Per my wife….They can be similar surgeries. The difference is a tendon attaches bone to muscle. Your UCL is a ligament which attaches bone to bone. When you tear a tendon it's usually a much quicker recovery because they're more blood supply for a tendon vs a ligament.

a reconstruction is Tommy John surgery. They basically harvest tendons, drill holes in your bones and thread the tendons into those holes…the tendons then form into sort of a ligament which is called "ligamentization" the new structure and blood vessels grow…the process takes a lot of time because there isn't a ton of blood flow there. That will then become your new ligament holding the bones together.

brock got a internal brace. They basically drilled holes in his bone and connected the bones with a brace, it's a tape covered in collagen material…it holds it in place while your ligament heals. You can't put any stress on it, but it doesn't take as long to heal as TJ because there is not "ligamentization" process.

Appreciate the info, helps to have to all broken out like that instead of piecing it together through various forms of information.

Is it safe to assume that there have been large improvements in the technology/surgery since 2018? I read that mullens was the first one to use the internal brace. So I assume it's relatively new?

Does the internal brace stay once it's healed? And if so, does that have a positive impact in regards to him getting reinjured? I feel like with an internal brace, it would provide additional support against impacts, but I really am not sure.

Yeah no problem. My wife is basically Stephania Bell haha (just way younger and better looking )

im always asking all this stuff in regards to sports injuries…god knows we have enough here. She kinda rolls her eyes when I ask random things like this, but whatever lol.

I believe it just stays in…yeah it's a relatively new procedure, so when timelines get thrown out it's kinda wishy-washy. I really do like Brock and want him to heal properly. If he's good to go with time to get up to speed and legit practice in training camp, that's great and best case. I see absolutely no reason to rush any of the rehab/recovery. That's all

You sound like a very lucky man. Does she have a sister? Haha

This doctor I was listening to that was talking about it said that the timeline may be a little sooner and may be a little later. Everyone heals differently and the lack of data for QBs in this direction is minimal - making it difficult to be adamant about recovery time lines. It'll be very important how well these first 6-8 weeks go with getting range of mobility and strengthening. I hope Purdy is willing to share progress through social media for us fans to follow.

i agree, if he doesn't feel comfortable yet with his arm angles and strength, then he shouldn't play yet. That's honestly kind of my biggest fear, that his arm angles won't be as good as they were before.

It's a good case study though for future players who get this injury. Since Mullens and now Purdy have had this whole surgery/injury at a young age, it'll provide excellent data on what to expect if and when they happen again.

For the first time in practically forever, If does need to sit the first month of the season - I'm very confident we can win with big only Trey, but Darnold as well. That qb room is loaded with premier talent. Just need to get it out of them. I still think this was a brilliant career move for darnold.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 21, 2023 at 1:06 PM ]
Originally posted by YACBros85:

Agreed. In fact, when I asked a poster what criteria Trey would need to meet to keep his job when Brock was healthy they could not give a straight answer. He was leaving it all up to interpretation so he could continue to move the goal posts if Trey was playing well and the team was winning.

Brock had a damn good run but chinks in his armor started to show when facing playoff level competition. The 49ers invested a lot in Trey and it wouldn't be fair for either him or the organization to not see his rookie contract through. I like both QB's and would love to see both become successful. If both QB's are given the opportunity to prove themselves as legit QB's, that is the best scenario for this franchise.

I'm hard on Trey but you can bet your bottom dollar that I want him to prove me wrong that Dak type isn't ceiling. Honestly, I'd be literally thrilled. If we didn't have Purdy, id be fully behind Trey starting and seeing if we can evolve to a superstar.

Im really critical of him because of what we gave up to get him, where he was drafted, and who drafted him. I expect nothing short of a top 4-5 qb in this league from him, anything less than that and he's a bust in my opinion. Of course not initially, but I was hoping to see "flashes" of greatness from him in his first few games - the way Murray, lamar, Newton etc did. I don't think that's an unfair expectation for what was given up to get him and where he was drafted.

for what it's worth, if Trey ends up going to another team eventually, I'll still root for him to succeed there. He's a great kid from a great family. I'll never root against that, I just want him to prove me wrong.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 21, 2023 at 1:08 PM ]

Absolutely being stupid and shortsighted. You'd rather rush back the QB you think is gonna change our franchise and become the next Montana vs allow him to heal properly…you DON'T want a kid who this time last yr was suppose to be the future play. You won't allow him to get reps or develop because you don't want him too. Your proof is 100 random passing attempts and acting like every single play was trash which a f**king lie.

And stop the b******t…the last time Lance played the team put up 150 yards on 17 plays vs a playoff team. I don't give a s**t if he didn't throw the ball 17 times…the team was moving the ball. If you don't think this team can't support a QB, who's not yet a pro-bowler. Then you clearly missed the past 6 years.

Absolutely being stupid and shortsighted. You'd rather rush back the QB you think is gonna change our franchise and become the next Montana vs allow him to heal properly…you DON'T want a kid who this time last yr was suppose to be the future play. You won't allow him to get reps or develop because you don't want him too. Your proof is 100 random passing attempts and acting like every single play was trash which a f**king lie.

And stop the b******t…the last time Lance played the team put up 150 yards on 17 plays vs a playoff team. I don't give a s**t if he didn't throw the ball 17 times…the team was moving the ball. If you don't think this team can't support a QB, who's not yet a pro-bowler. Then you clearly missed the past 6 years.

Mic drop.

How would he cost us a potential SB season? If he is clearly costing the team games and Brock is healthy, a change will be made. The 49ers are not a team that desperately needs home field advantage to advance. If we have a team that's good enough to win it, we will.

Maybe we don't need it, but I'm still not trying to lose HFA just to toy around with Trey. The better option should start between he and Darnold if Brock is not ready.

Trey has 2 years of playing QB in his life. It would take a special talent to just walk into the NFL with no experience and be competent (don't think it's ever been done), and I don't see a special talent in Trey. He looks like a player that's only played against high schoolers. Sorry if he has to earn my trust, but I think that makes more sense than acting like he is a competent QB. He has done nothing at the highest levels of NFL or college for us to say that
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on Mar 21, 2023 at 1:16 PM ]

ah yes the greatest 150 yards in pro football history; I remember it well

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

He put up 150 yds against a 7th seed!!!! Mic drop b***hes!!!!

He outdueled Pro Bowler Geno Smith
You sound like a very lucky man. Does she have a sister? Haha

This doctor I was listening to that was talking about it said that the timeline may be a little sooner and may be a little later. Everyone heals differently and the lack of data for QBs in this direction is minimal - making it difficult to be adamant about recovery time lines. It'll be very important how well these first 6-8 weeks go with getting range of mobility and strengthening. I hope Purdy is willing to share progress through social media for us fans to follow.

i agree, if he doesn't feel comfortable yet with his arm angles and strength, then he shouldn't play yet. That's honestly kind of my biggest fear, that his arm angles won't be as good as they were before.

It's a good case study though for future players who get this injury. Since Mullens and now Purdy have had this whole surgery/injury at a young age, it'll provide excellent data on what to expect if and when they happen again.

For the first time in practically forever, If does need to sit the first month of the season - I'm very confident we can win with big only Trey, but Darnold as well. That qb room is loaded with premier talent. Just need to get it out of them. I still think this was a brilliant career move for darnold.

Haha nope she doesn't. I did get lucky, not sure how she puts up with me!

I agree with everything you said about his first 2 months of recovery. That's all I've been saying. The timeline isn't bullet proof with an injury like this. There isn't a ton of QBs that have dealt with this. One guy doesn't make a sample size.

I want nothing more than Brock to be healthy and have like a month of training camp to actually play/have his body ready to play football. People underestimate how important these camps are for players.

until we have a clear cut idea of Brock's recovery timeline, Lance is the guy. It's shouldn't be some I hate him or I hate the other guy. IMO we should want all of these guys playing well. I think it would be pretty awesome to see Lance develop into the guy I think he can be. That's totally up to him though.

We have probably one of the best rosters in football. They can and have supported our QBs for 5+ years. They can support Lance while he develops or until Brock is 100%.

Did he not? Did they not move the ball? I know he didn't put up 5,000 yards and 40TDs like you projected…hard to do that in 4QRs and two drives….but you know that's clearly enough for you to totally change your opinion on him.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
someone already calling B-Rock the NEXT Joe Cool?
Share 49ersWebzone