QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
I need some damn Brock Purdy recovery news

Patience, butterfly - it's going to take him the full 6 months to build that elbow back up. He should be ready come the opener.

He's gonna actually need to practice well before that. You're not just tossing him out there otherwise.

He'll be throwing in 3 months. He'll have plenty of practice at OTAs and TC.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Big Ben tore three flexor tendons off the bone, is that exactly the same as what happened with Purdy? I'm not being a smart ass - it's a serious question. It's hard to find specific details on these surgeries? I guess better said, is it the same type of surgery and rehab?

Also, Delhomme and Big Ben were old af when it happened . Do we know if either of them had healthy tissue? Brocks was healthy, so that was ideal as possible.
Both were 12+ years in the league with a lot of wear and tear.
https://www.ninersnation.com/platform/amp/2023/3/21/23650141/brock-purdy-jeff-dugas-nick-mullens-49ers-ucl-surgery

here is a new article that just came out

Apparently there is a big difference between a repair and reconstruction. I'm just not sure which each qb had yet. Looks like Brock's was a repair.

Per my wife….They can be similar surgeries. The difference is a tendon attaches bone to muscle. Your UCL is a ligament which attaches bone to bone. When you tear a tendon it's usually a much quicker recovery because they're more blood supply for a tendon vs a ligament.

a reconstruction is Tommy John surgery. They basically harvest tendons, drill holes in your bones and thread the tendons into those holes…the tendons then form into sort of a ligament which is called "ligamentization" the new structure and blood vessels grow…the process takes a lot of time because there isn't a ton of blood flow there. That will then become your new ligament holding the bones together.

brock got a internal brace. They basically drilled holes in his bone and connected the bones with a brace, it's a tape covered in collagen material…it holds it in place while your ligament heals. You can't put any stress on it, but it doesn't take as long to heal as TJ because there is not "ligamentization" process.

Appreciate the info, helps to have it all broken out like that instead of piecing it together through various forms of information. Tell your wife I said thanks! Hahaha

Is it safe to assume that there have been large improvements in the technology/surgery since 2018? I read that mullens was the first one to use the internal brace. So I assume it's relatively new?

Does the internal brace stay once it's healed? And if so, does that have a positive impact in regards to him getting reinjured? I feel like with an internal brace, it would provide additional support against impacts, but I really am not sure.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 21, 2023 at 11:26 AM ]
Big Ben tore three flexor tendons off the bone, is that exactly the same as what happened with Purdy? I'm not being a smart ass - it's a serious question. It's hard to find specific details on these surgeries? I guess better said, is it the same type of surgery and rehab?

Also, Delhomme and Big Ben were old af when it happened . Do we know if either of them had healthy tissue? Brocks was healthy, so that was ideal as possible.
Both were 12 years in the league with a lot of wear and tear.
https://www.ninersnation.com/platform/amp/2023/3/21/23650141/brock-purdy-jeff-dugas-nick-mullens-49ers-ucl-surgery

Apparently there is a big difference between a repair and reconstruction. I'm just not sure which each qb had yet. Looks like Brock's was a repair.

Per my wife….They can be similar surgeries. The difference is a tendon attaches bone to muscle. Your UCL is a ligament which attaches bone to bone. When you tear a tendon it's usually a much quicker recovery because they're more blood supply for a tendon vs a ligament.

a reconstruction is Tommy John surgery. They basically harvest tendons, drill holes in your bones and thread the tendons into those holes…the tendons then form into sort of a ligament which is called "ligamentization" the new structure and blood vessels grow…the process takes a lot of time because there isn't a ton of blood flow there. That will then become your new ligament holding the bones together.

brock got a internal brace. They basically drilled holes in his bone and connected the bones with a brace, it's a tape covered in collagen material…it holds it in place while your ligament heals. You can't put any stress on it, but it doesn't take as long to heal as TJ because there is not "ligamentization" process.

Appreciate the info, helps to have to all broken out like that instead of piecing it together through various forms of information.

Is it safe to assume that there have been large improvements in the technology/surgery since 2018? I read that mullens was the first one to use the internal brace. So I assume it's relatively new?

Does the internal brace stay once it's healed? And if so, does that have a positive impact in regards to him getting reinjured? I feel like with an internal brace, it would provide additional support against impacts, but I really am not sure.

thanks NY and tankle

hard to even visit this thread anymore, this injury is such a bummer

Both were 12+ years in the league with a lot of wear and tear.

Appreciate the info, helps to have to all broken out like that instead of piecing it together through various forms of information.

Yeah no problem. My wife is basically Stephania Bell haha (just way younger and better looking )

im always asking all this stuff in regards to sports injuries…god knows we have enough here. She kinda rolls her eyes when I ask random things like this, but whatever lol.

I believe it just stays in…yeah it's a relatively new procedure, so when timelines get thrown out it's kinda wishy-washy. I really do like Brock and want him to heal properly. If he's good to go with time to get up to speed and legit practice in training camp, that's great and best case. I see absolutely no reason to rush any of the rehab/recovery. That's all
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 21, 2023 at 11:39 AM ]

Patience, butterfly - it's going to take him the full 6 months to build that elbow back up. He should be ready come the opener.

He's gonna actually need to practice well before that. You're not just tossing him out there otherwise.

Dude that's not how this type of recovery works. If he's able to legit practice by 5 months then it will be an amazing rehab and recovery. We will see.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Dude that's not how this type of recovery works. If he's able to legit practice by 5 months then it will be an amazing rehab and recovery. We will see.

It won't be an amazing recovery, just the standard one that the doctors forecasted.

It won't be an amazing recovery, just the standard one that the doctors forecasted.

When they say he can be throwing in 3 months, I don't think they mean full, unrestricted NFL throws, the type he'll need to make in a game.

And if you're going that route he's not gonna be cleared until like 3 days before the first game. You gotta understand there's a massive difference between throwing a football a couple times from like 5-10 yards out, to actually playing in a football game. He's gotta participate in training camp. He's gotta practice with the team. You can't just shove him out there the min he's cleared…training camps matters. If it didn't, it wouldn't exist.

if he has the slightest setback. I'm talking any swelling/pain. They will shut it down and let him recover. We all want him to heal quickly. It's gotta be done properly though. His long-term health matters with his throwing arm. Him not starting out the season isn't the end of the world. I'm just keeping it real and trying to be realistic with it.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
When they say he can be throwing in 3 months, I don't think they mean full, unrestricted NFL throws, the type he'll need to make in a game.

what I wonder is when will be be cleared to prax? my understanding that's the 6 months or full recovery timeline

Correct. He will be on a throw count and the distance will be minimal…it's all progression and buildup. It's funny much like people can't stand the idea of lance developing…they can't stand the idea of proper recovery for Brock. Zero patience.

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

what I wonder is when will be be cleared to prax? my understanding that's the 6 months or full recovery timeline

I really wish there was some other timeline we could monitor to know how well he's staying on track.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

I really wish there was some other timeline we could monitor to know how well he's staying on track.

I'm just going off the ol calendar surg in March so cleared to prax mid Sept and may need a few weeks to ramp in prax. Maybe fully back and ready to play ball in October.

Big Cock Brock had zero practice with the 1st team and did just fine from his first snap... me not worried

Correct. He will be on a throw count and the distance will be minimal…it's all progression and buildup. It's funny much like people can't stand the idea of lance developing…they can't stand the idea of proper recovery for Brock. Zero patience.

I don't get it, Brock showed enough to possibly be our FQB for the next decade. Trey hasn't shown enough yet, so it's literally the perfect scenario to not only give Brock enough time to heal without causing further damage, while getting the chance to evaluate TL. Kyle doesn't need to face what could be a difficult decision, and Purdy isn't under any pressure to get back on the field before he's ready. What's the actual problem here?
Big Cock Brock had zero practice with the 1st team and did just fine from his first snap... me not worried

He still practiced. He wasn't injured.
Share 49ersWebzone