LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 322 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
Haha all jokes aside - I wish nothing but the best for Trey. I just have way more doubts about him than confidence.

The main thing that bothers me about him is his accuracy. I just rewatched the bears game and he was just flat out missing people, wide open guys. Multiple times. The play calling ended up going towards a bunch of dump off passes and still less than 50%. And yeah yeah.. I know it wasn't all on him, it's a team sport, but he did absolutely nothing to help - unless it was the bears with his awful interception at a terrible time in the game that sealed the L.

the weather didn't get bad until the fourth. Some rain is going to impact the game but that's why people want guys with rockets, it's supposed to give you an edge in those situations. Especially when your team is exponentially better than the opponents and built to dominate in those type of sloppy games.

The flip side - Purdys ball placement, touch, and anticipation are a thing of beauty. That's not just natural talent - that's a lot of mental preparation and amazing processing. I know it's possible to improve accuracy, and I don't just mean on the stat sheet. You can increase the stat sheet by just doing dump off/screens, short passes etc and they don't really mean much and makes you very predictable. It requires hitting tight windows, anticipation, ball placement, touch. Etc. the only qb in my life that I've seen dramatically improve in that area is Josh allen, and he slipped back into some of his old habits with his new coach. So, it really concerns me and I don't trust ANY qb to dramatically improve on it when they're not good at it in the first place. (Not just Lance). It's a rare thing to happen in the nfl. (Can't wait for some jokester to attack this and name a bunch of people who've improved accuracy…. On the stat sheets - not truly more accurate on the field in the ways I mentioned lmao).

If I'm not mistaken, there have been reports that the team has been really frustrated with his accuracy. (Idk if it was just gossip or whatever but I doubt the team would ever publicly confirm that regardless)

Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Not sure if your reading comprehension is still very bad or you just like to play the victim, but people here are arguing that because he's injured and might not be ready to throw until later in the offseason, that we should not rush him back.

You on other hand would rather rush back from injury our potential franchise QB just bc you hate Lance.

My reading comprehension? Lol have you spent any time at all reading up on Brocks recovery and the steps involved?

if you did, you'd know that by ALL accounts by doctors, he should be 100% healed up and been throwing for three months by week 1. Only thing stoping that will be a recovery set back, which says a lot. If you're assuming that'll happen.

so.. lol life must be really hard for you :/
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 21, 2023 at 8:33 AM ]
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Saying we shouldn't rush him back is a nice guise to hide under, but the truth is some of these guys just want Trey in there above all else. Above the team. Even if Darnold plays better. Even if we get Brady, I saw people saying theyd rather role with Trey

I'm fine if Darnold ends up being better than Trey and Brock. I want Lynch and Kyle to still be on the phone weekly trying to get Brady out of retirement. And I want Brock back in when he's healthy (if no Brady)

I have never said to rush Brock back even if he's not ready. I say I think he will be ready, give examples of players that have made the recovery, and get told that his name can't be mentioned lol

I always debate with myself if people like this are worth explaining these things over and over again with. It's about as productive as telling a potted plant. Lol I just feel bad for guys like this.

There is a very good chance that Brock will be 100% healed up by week 1 and have been throwing for 3 months. If he's not, then no big deal, he should still start as soon as he's back. But acting like he won't be and assuming he is going to have setbacks in the recovery, which is a weird thing to assume.

Purdy stepped in last year with no first team training camp reps or reps during the practice week and balled. Lance needs all the reps be can get, not Brock. If he's healthy, he will be playing. Knowing the competitor he is, only thing stopping him will be a set back in recovery.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 21, 2023 at 8:34 AM ]
I always debate with myself if people like this are worth explaining these things over and over again with. It's about as productive as telling a potted plant. Lol I just feel bad for guys like this.

There is a very good chance that Brock will be 100% healed up by week 1 and have been throwing for 3 months. If he's not, then no big deal, he should still start as soon as he's back. But acting like he won't be us assuming he is going to have setbacks in the recovery, which is a weird thing to assume.

Purdy stepped in last year with no first team reps or reps during the practice week and balled. Lance needs all the reps be can get, not Brock. If he's healthy, he will be playing. Knowing the competitor he is, only thing stopping him will be a set back in recovery.

Do you debate with a genuine desire educate, or do you debate to be right?
Originally posted by Stanley:

There is a very good chance that Brock will be 100% healed up by week 1 and have been throwing for 3 months. If he's not, then no big deal, he should still start as soon as he's back. But acting like he won't be us assuming he is going to have setbacks in the recovery, which is a weird thing to assume.

Purdy stepped in last year with no first team reps or reps during the practice week and balled. Lance needs all the reps be can get, not Brock. If he's healthy, he will be playing. Knowing the competitor he is, only thing stopping him will be a set back in recovery.

Do you debate with a genuine desire educate, or do you debate to be right?

I have absolutely no issue being wrong. I do it all the time on here, say I was wrong or posted a static off. I've spent a bunch of time reading about this and have posted links to doctors talking about and articles or others.

i keep seeing over and over again the same thing "he won't be ready week 1". That just isn't true. He may not be ready but today, everything points to it being a very good possibility.

to answer your question, I come on here to get educated by others on here and pick others mind. There are a ton of really insightful folks on here. I put my opinion out there too and don't mind someone disagreeing - it just annoys me when people post wrong things over and over again, it dampens the discussions on here.

i completely understand that there is also a real chance Brock isn't ready week 1, but nothing other than assuming the worst justifys that. It's an unknown at this time, with everything pointing to him being having a really good chance of being ready. So it shouldn't be posted that he isn't going to be ready and that he shouldn't even be considered to start the season.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 21, 2023 at 8:40 AM ]
Saying we shouldn't rush him back is a nice guise to hide under, but the truth is some of these guys just want Trey in there above all else. Above the team. Even if Darnold plays better. Even if we get Brady, I saw people saying theyd rather role with Trey

I'm fine if Darnold ends up being better than Trey and Brock. I want Lynch and Kyle to still be on the phone weekly trying to get Brady out of retirement. And I want Brock back in when he's healthy (if no Brady)

I have never said to rush Brock back even if he's not ready. I say I think he will be ready, give examples of players that have made the recovery, and get told that his name can't be mentioned lol

There is a very good chance that Brock will be 100% healed up by week 1 and have been throwing for 3 months. If he's not, then no big deal, he should still start as soon as he's back. But acting like he won't be and assuming he is going to have setbacks in the recovery, which is a weird thing to assume.

Purdy stepped in last year with no first team training camp reps or reps during the practice week and balled. Lance needs all the reps be can get, not Brock. If he's healthy, he will be playing. Knowing the competitor he is, only thing stopping him will be a set back in recovery.

I hear you man. You get shot down and told not to speak Brock's name if you start showing them that he could be ready for week 1. But they're just thinking about Brock's future
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on Mar 21, 2023 at 9:29 AM ]
My reading comprehension? Lol have you spent any time at all reading up on Brocks recovery and the steps involved?

if you did, you'd know that by ALL accounts by doctors, he should be 100% healed up and been throwing for three months by week 1. Only thing stoping that will be a recovery set back, which says a lot. If you're assuming that'll happen.

so.. lol life must be really hard for you :/

Do you know the rehab/recovery involved? I have some understanding. My wife is a DPT, MD and has dealt with similar stuff. She called the injury as soon as it happened (she thought it would be TJ surgery though).

there's a massive difference between throwing a football a couple times a few yards away vs throwing a nfl pass during a game. There is no, hey it's been 3 months, he's good to throw no matter what. It's not as simple as that. He tore his UCL completely. He had swelling on it for over a month. It wasn't good.

go look at Big Ben's elbow surgery in 2020. Dude was throwing 40 passes a day at 20 yards or less 6 months post. I know he's older, but it's not like he was a 50 yr old recovering. He was an NFL HOFer getting the best rehab on the planet. He also went from leading the league in passing yards, to being a shell of himself. His YPA dropped like a yard and a half after that injury.

brock has his whole career ahead of him. In no shape or form should he be pushing it until he's completely 100%. Maybe he's a fast healer and we get lucky. Realistically I don't think he's playing WK1 or going to participate in full training camp practices.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Do you know the rehab/recovery involved? I have some understanding. My wife is a DPT, MD and has dealt with similar stuff. She called the injury as soon as it happened (she thought it would be TJ surgery though).

there's a massive difference between throwing a football a couple times a few yards away vs throwing a nfl pass during a game. There is no, hey it's been 3 months, he's good to throw no matter what. It's not as simple as that. He tore his UCL completely. He had swelling on it for over a month. It wasn't good.

go look at Big Ben's elbow surgery in 2020. Dude was throwing 40 passes a day at 20 yards or less 6 months post. I know he's older, but it's not like he was a 50 yr old recovering. He was an NFL HOFer getting the best rehab on the planet. He also went from leading the league in passing yards, to being a shell of himself. His YPA dropped like a yard and a half after that injury.

brock has his whole career ahead of him. In no shape or form should he be pushing it until he's completely 100%. Maybe he's a fast healer and we get lucky. Realistically I don't think he's playing WK1 or going to participate in full training camp practices.

was Ben the same injury as BP?

he was toast.. PIT went from him holding the ball and chucking deep to every pass within 10 yards often within 5 yards. arm was shot

I hear you man. You get shot down and told not to speak Brock's name if you start showing them that he could be ready for week 1. But they're just thinking about Brock's future

Oh stop it. Who here doesn't like Brock? If he's 100% and can participate fully in TC. That's the best case scenario. Is it realistic? That's debatable if you have any understanding of the injury/recovery.

sorry dude I'm not like you two, where I'm fully against a player no matter what. I have no underlining motive. I DO want Brock to be 100% before he steps on the field. You two would rather he jeopardize his career because you can't stand Lance. Only reason you think that's what is going on is because that's WHAT you're doing!

You dislike Lance so much that you would rather play one or the worst starting QBs in the league that past 5 years…he's got 1,800 passing attempts and over 50 starts BUT you know he just needs a little more time to develop 😂 meanwhile Lance has 100 random passing attempts and the book is shut on him. The hypocrisy is f**king hilarious.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 21, 2023 at 10:01 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

he was toast.. PIT went from him holding the ball and chucking deep to every pass within 10 yards often within 5 yards. arm was shot

Season before his injury had over 5,000 yards lead the league in yards and passing attempts. YPA 7.6. Signed a big fat extension.

post injury he was a shell of himself and avg like 6.2 YPA. It was dink and dunk city.

I'm not saying that will be Brock at all. Fingers crossed he comes back even stronger.

I need some damn Brock Purdy recovery news
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:

Patience, butterfly - it's going to take him the full 6 months to build that elbow back up. He should be ready come the opener.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Season before his injury had over 5,000 yards lead the league in yards and passing attempts. YPA 7.6. Signed a big fat extension.

post injury he was a shell of himself and avg like 6.2 YPA. It was dink and dunk city.

I'm not saying that will be Brock at all. Fingers crossed he comes back even stronger.

Big Ben tore three flexor tendons off the bone, is that exactly the same as what happened with Purdy? I'm not being a smart ass - it's a serious question. It's hard to find specific details on these surgeries? I guess better said, is it the same type of surgery and rehab?

Also, Delhomme and Big Ben were old af when it happened . Do we know if either of them had healthy tissue? Brocks was healthy, so that was ideal as possible.
Both were 12+ years in the league with a lot of wear and tear.
https://www.ninersnation.com/platform/amp/2023/3/21/23650141/brock-purdy-jeff-dugas-nick-mullens-49ers-ucl-surgery

here is a new article that just came out

Apparently there is a big difference between a repair and reconstruction. I'm just not sure which each qb had yet. Looks like Brock's was a repair.

this article also provides great insight and a lot of optimism.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/02/02/brock-purdys-ucl-injury-why-repair-quicker-rehab-is-more-likely-than-tommy-john-for-49ers-qb/amp/
if Purdy was older, he would probably be screwed. If it's going to happen, it's best at this stage.

"For a repair, because he won't be stressing it, there's a low likelihood he would have recurring issues," he said. "(It's a) better quality tissue — he's not throwing 100 mph fastballs, so all things are in his favor."

a lot of reason for optimism but also cautiously concerned as well.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 21, 2023 at 10:49 AM ]
Big Ben tore three flexor tendons off the bone, is that exactly the same as what happened with Purdy? I'm not being a smart ass - it's a serious question. It's hard to find specific details on these surgeries? I guess better said, is it the same type of surgery and rehab?

Also, Delhomme and Big Ben were old af when it happened . Do we know if either of them had healthy tissue? Brocks was healthy, so that was ideal as possible.
Both were 12+ years in the league with a lot of wear and tear.
https://www.ninersnation.com/platform/amp/2023/3/21/23650141/brock-purdy-jeff-dugas-nick-mullens-49ers-ucl-surgery

here is a new article that just came out

Apparently there is a big difference between a repair and reconstruction. I'm just not sure which each qb had yet. Looks like Brock's was a repair.

Per my wife….They can be similar surgeries. The difference is a tendon attaches bone to muscle. Your UCL is a ligament which attaches bone to bone. When you tear a tendon it's usually a much quicker recovery because they're more blood supply for a tendon vs a ligament.

a reconstruction is Tommy John surgery. They basically harvest tendons, drill holes in your bones and thread the tendons into those holes…the tendons then form into sort of a ligament which is called "ligamentization" the new structure and blood vessels grow…the process takes a lot of time because there isn't a ton of blood flow there. That will then become your new ligament holding the bones together.

brock got a internal brace. They basically drilled holes in his bone and connected the bones with a brace, it's a tape covered in collagen material…it holds it in place while your ligament heals. You can't put any stress on it, but it doesn't take as long to heal as TJ because there is not "ligamentization" process.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 21, 2023 at 11:20 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:

Patience, butterfly - it's going to take him the full 6 months to build that elbow back up. He should be ready come the opener.

He's gonna actually need to practice well before that. You're not just tossing him out there otherwise.
Share 49ersWebzone