There are 212 users in the forums

49ers select Spencer Burford-OT/OG-UTSA, 4th Round 2022 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:
He nasty. Upgrade to Skule for swing tackle. Could compete for starting LG or RG position. I wonder if we would move Moore to Center?

I agree, Great Pick. as for center, hope Mack comes back, but if he doesn't I think the 49ers have some nice young talent that can develop at the center position this year.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Didnt know who this guy was before Friday but after doing my research, I think this guy is a start at some point in 2022. Dont know if its at OG or OT, because he looks great at both. His feet are definitely quick enough to be RT and he has enough power (which he could add more) to play OG. I love his IQ and intensity in the run game. He flies to his assigned blocks and lays defenders out

Agreed. I think he's got a legit chance to start at RG (RT if MM can't recover). The FO saw him as a 3rd rounder. That's a starter.
Didnt know who this guy was before Friday but after doing my research, I think this guy is a start at some point in 2022. Dont know if its at OG or OT, because he looks great at both. His feet are definitely quick enough to be RT and he has enough power (which he could add more) to play OG. I love his IQ and intensity in the run game. He flies to his assigned blocks and lays defenders out

Originally posted by NCommand:
Agreed. I think he's got a legit chance to start at RG (RT if MM can't recover). The FO saw him as a 3rd rounder. That's a starter.

Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Kid knows the position

that must be a hell of a table, the dude looks small next to it.

He's got some huge ass hands though.

Yah he's still a bit undersized, but he's a solid athlete so him adding some muscle mass shouldn't make him slower.

And ya, he sounds like a real student of the game, gotta like that

Yes , liked his explanation of how he uses his hands but holy cow…his hands are bigger than my feet. They have to be 12-14" long. That is a freakishly good physical attribute. Would love to see him make it and then start down the road. Mentally sharp and a hard worker. It looks like you could put a football in between his hands and the ball would disappear. Wonder what Kyle would do with that? IDK but hope he ends up starting here.
Maybe he might be a good fit at right tackle and take over for McGlinchey when he's gone after next year
My favorite pick from this draft. I think he will be a gem!
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
Wow. Love the attitude and how he talked through that technique answer. Reminds me of Trent Williams a little. Hope he's a star.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Spencer " The Thing " Burford !!!!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Kid knows the position

that must be a hell of a table, the dude looks small next to it.

He's got some huge ass hands though.

Yah he's still a bit undersized, but he's a solid athlete so him adding some muscle mass shouldn't make him slower.

And ya, he sounds like a real student of the game, gotta like that

Yes , liked his explanation of how he uses his hands but holy cow…his hands are bigger than my feet. They have to be 12-14" long. That is a freakishly good physical attribute. Would love to see him make it and then start down the road. Mentally sharp and a hard worker. It looks like you could put a football in between his hands and the ball would disappear. Wonder what Kyle would do with that? IDK but hope he ends up starting here.

I'd love to see him be able to replace Mack. Kyle needs some big brain power at that position to help out Trey. I'm so looking forward to this years pre-season to see how all the pieces look and fit together for the 2022 team. I"m thinking this could be the year for #6 Lombardi. Hope hope.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Found a news piece that seems to say he's another workout warrior like Poe.

Putting in the work when no one is looking is a crucial aspect of Burford's success. Continuing to build upon his skills and increase his techniques on the field are the building blocks for the drive he applies to his game.
"Everybody's not with you while you're working," Burford said. "It takes a lot of hard work and dedication. If you want to separate yourself from the pack, you have to do the extra work. There's a lot of hungry guys out there, so you can never become complacent and stagnant. It is always the next man up mentality."
[...]
"A lot of technique that I had last year was really wild and out of control, so I focused on buckling down and keeping those things under control," Burford said. "I did a lot of swim training, speed, agility and strength training. I worked a lot with guys from the community who are out there working and that are hungry."
https://goutsa.com/news/2021/11/20/football-hometown-hero-spencer-burford-leaving-amark-on-san-antonio.aspx
Originally posted by elguapo:
Maybe he might be a good fit at right tackle and take over for McGlinchey when he's gone after next year

Ditto!

Originally posted by Giedi:
Found a news piece that seems to say he's another workout warrior like Poe.

Putting in the work when no one is looking is a crucial aspect of Burford's success. Continuing to build upon his skills and increase his techniques on the field are the building blocks for the drive he applies to his game.
"Everybody's not with you while you're working," Burford said. "It takes a lot of hard work and dedication. If you want to separate yourself from the pack, you have to do the extra work. There's a lot of hungry guys out there, so you can never become complacent and stagnant. It is always the next man up mentality."
[...]
"A lot of technique that I had last year was really wild and out of control, so I focused on buckling down and keeping those things under control," Burford said. "I did a lot of swim training, speed, agility and strength training. I worked a lot with guys from the community who are out there working and that are hungry."
https://goutsa.com/news/2021/11/20/football-hometown-hero-spencer-burford-leaving-amark-on-san-antonio.aspx

Thanks - good read.
Looks like we got a steal and a keeper in Burford who ls looking like the starter at right guard for us....

Great call.
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
Looks like we got a steal and a keeper in Burford who ls looking like the starter at right guard for us....

This is huge for us if Banks + Burford > Tomlinson + Brunskill. Huge.
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:

This is huge for us if Banks + Burford > Tomlinson + Brunskill. Huge.

We crush mid round picks lol

We have to hope Banks is great too. That means more than likely Center or RT will be a crutch. It would be a miracle if everyone of them works out, but this kid looks good.
Share 49ersWebzone