LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 322 users in the forums

WR-Danny Gray-SMU, 3rd round 2022 NFL Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by lamontb:
Man him and TDP ain't do s**t. Sure could've used a guy in the trenches on either side. I really don't even see much of a future for TDP. Undrafted guy can be just as productive. For Gray let's hope he's developed to where he can at least catch 20 passes. If the deep threat is never used then its just a decoy.

Gray was drafted for Trey. Once Trey went down he was never going to be a factor.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Man him and TDP ain't do s**t. Sure could've used a guy in the trenches on either side. I really don't even see much of a future for TDP. Undrafted guy can be just as productive. For Gray let's hope he's developed to where he can at least catch 20 passes. If the deep threat is never used then its just a decoy.

Gray was drafted for Trey. Once Trey went down he was never going to be a factor.

but... ain't Kyle supposed to be a very good HC? How can a different QB an excuse?

Im more bothered by TDP than Gray. In spite of what the staff thinks of him, I don't see a path to him having meaningful snaps. Horrible value. Danny Gray is totally different. We know how Shanahan is on receivers and then you add in the fact that we have three proven guys ahead of him (Aiyuk, Deebo, and Jennings) + a veteran in Ray Ray. You also have to factor in the Jimmy G thing, who started most of the season. I expect to see Gray out there with Trey and even Purdy, but mostly for Trey. We don't make that pick with Jimmy G as our starter.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Feb 14, 2023 at 12:27 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Im more bothered by TDP than Gray. In spite of what the staff thinks of him, I don't

people spected him to be a very good back because KS drafted him high, so typical of the Shananigans.. but yet, they don't remember that Sermon was also drafted high and look how that turned out.
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
In Shanny's system, if you can't block and run precise routes, you're not seeing the field. Hopefully, he'll elevate the other parts of his game in the offseason.

Deebo talked about this during his interviews at SB week. Said the playbook and just all the different formations, he didn't even think he was gonna play at all his rookie year cus it was so much. Also said Kyle is hardest on WR's, the blocking, routes, timing etc all expected to be perfect. If the call is to line up 1 yard outside the numbers, you better be at 1 yard, not 3/4ths a yard or a yard and a half or your ass won't see the field if you don't do the small details.
Originally posted by 9moon:

Im more bothered by TDP than Gray. In spite of what the staff thinks of him, I don't

people spected him to be a very good back because KS drafted him high, so typical of the Shananigans.. but yet, they don't remember that Sermon was also drafted high and look how that turned out.

Trey Sermon was the worst of all the 3rd round picks and is in the top 10 of the worst picks made by this FO. I expect the Eagles to drop him as well. He may make some team's 90 man roster for training camp, but I don't expect him to be on an NFL roster in the fall.

I think Gray will be a factor in 2023. He is going to be key because I would not expect us to resign Jennings. Jennings is better than Bourne in my opinion and if he got a nice contract, I can easily see Jennings getting one with how clutch he has been.
but... ain't Kyle supposed to be a very good HC? How can a different QB an excuse?

Well you need a QB to throw deep. Gray was drafted to be that deep threat. Like our Goodwin replacement.

Well you need a QB to throw deep. Gray was drafted to be that deep threat. Like our Goodwin replacement.

I agree, but Gray also needs to improve his overall game so he's not just a go route guy. If he can improve he would really take the top off a defense.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran

you just PROVED how bad of a HC Kyle is then if that's the case.. not that I didn't already know..

but if his draft picks are SITUATIONAL PLAYERS, then how useless can they be if the situation does not fit them?

McCaffery was drafted high so whats your point other than to try not to look like a clown with your Shanny hate?

• 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Luckycharms:
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
In Shanny's system, if you can't block and run precise routes, you're not seeing the field. Hopefully, he'll elevate the other parts of his game in the offseason.

Deebo talked about this during his interviews at SB week. Said the playbook and just all the different formations, he didn't even think he was gonna play at all his rookie year cus it was so much. Also said Kyle is hardest on WR's, the blocking, routes, timing etc all expected to be perfect. If the call is to line up 1 yard outside the numbers, you better be at 1 yard, not 3/4ths a yard or a yard and a half or your ass won't see the field if you don't do the small details.

Deevah just kissing Kyle's buns.. and he's trying to say how highly smart he is by learning the playbook who seemed impossible at the moment.. lol.. man, that's just Deevah being Deevah... trying to get the most credit he can..

Deevah should ask Kyle, or wait, maybe he should explain to us why the 3rd string TE was asked to run all the way from one side of the formation to block Philly's best pass rusher..
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by miked1978:

McCaffery was drafted high so whats your point other than to try not to look like a clown with your Shanny hate?

McCaffrey was drafted high... was he not good since day one?

What's your point ??

Sermon wasn't drafted high. Check how many third round picks fail. Judging a head coach by a couple of the team's draft picks is utterly flawed.

I have no idea why you want to keep on arguing that Shanahan is not a success. He took a hollowed out team with little potential and, with the front office, turned it into one of the top teams in the NFL. And that is a fact.
Originally posted by English:

Sermon wasn't drafted high. Check how many third round picks fail. Judging a head coach by a couple of the team's draft picks is utterly flawed.

I have no idea why you want to keep on arguing that Shanahan is not a success. He took a hollowed out team with little potential and, with the front office, turned it into one of the top teams in the NFL. And that is a fact.

To think, Las Vegas gave us the 2nd best odds to win the Super Bowl, in spite of the QB situation. I've never heard of a team being so highly regarded without a clear franchise and elite QB.
Heard some good news about him today. Would be great if he became a viable receiver with his speed.
Share 49ersWebzone