There are 163 users in the forums

Drake Jackson-DE-USC, 2nd Round 2022 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I can't believe this guy is that quick and that bendy when he has no cuts on his body and looks kind of fat. He bulked up but he still looks fat, his arms don't have any cuts, I bet he has a little bit of a gut still but as long as he kicks ass no big deal.

I am very very shocked he just Now hit three plates on each side of the bench press. I was able to do that when I was 20 years old weighing 175 pounds so this guy does not impress me with his strength in the very least. This guy should be hitting 4 plates. He does need upper body strength to hold up against the run and get around some of these tackles.
Originally posted by elguapo:
I can't believe this guy is that quick and that bendy when he has no cuts on his body and looks kind of fat. He bulked up but he still looks fat, his arms don't have any cuts, I bet he has a little bit of a gut still but as long as he kicks ass no big deal.

I am very very shocked he just Now hit three plates on each side of the bench press. I was able to do that when I was 20 years old weighing 175 pounds so this guy does not impress me with his strength in the very least. This guy should be hitting 4 plates. He does need upper body strength to hold up against the run and get around some of these tackles.

On a similar note he gained what 13-15 lbs ? I was thinking on a frame his size, that's it ? If he picked up 25-30 lbs and kept low body fat like Bosa that would be impressive. But 13lbs is something the average male should pick up with a good training and nutrition program.
Originally posted by mitpdub:

On a similar note he gained what 13-15 lbs ? I was thinking on a frame his size, that's it ? If he picked up 25-30 lbs and kept low body fat like Bosa that would be impressive. But 13lbs is something the average male should pick up with a good training and nutrition program.

I concur……why didn't I concur Hopefully his quickness and bend could make up for his extremely limited strength. I'm hoping for 6 to 8 sacks that would be pretty damn good and a lot better than Eckubam and Charlie O have ever done
  • Disp
  • Veteran

25-30 lbs. in 3 1/2 months? What are you smoking?
Originally posted by Disp:

Hes smoking trenbolone.

He started at 6-3 , 254lbs. So he got you 267. Not head turning sorry. It's a good start and hopefully he continues to gain weight until the 1st week of the season. I've seen better gains at the gym with non elite athletes who learn how to eat and work out. These guys have nutritionists and trainers
[ Edited by mitpdub on Jun 10, 2023 at 12:43 AM ]

He started at 6-3 , 254lbs. So he got you 267. Not head turning sorry. It's a good start and hopefully he continues to gain weight until the 1st week of the season. I've seen better gains at the gym with non elite athletes who learn how to eat and work out. These guys have nutritionists and trainers

Lol

These are football players, not bodybuilders. Adding mass isn't the end all, be all for them. Their training style is geared towards more functional lifting meant to build power and explosiveness. Jackson's job is to take down QBs and he's plenty big for a DE in this scheme.

That a guy who was already 254 managed to get to 267 without getting sloppy is wild. That's an impressive gain, no matter who you are. I don't think you realize how ridiculous that weight is for a guy that is 6'3". That is nearly 20 pounds more than Von Miller's reported playing weight at the same height.

If anything I expect him to drop down closer to 260 as the season approaches and his football training gears up. I'm far more concerned with his conditioning and developing his skill as a pass rusher to be a more effective player this season.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

These are football players, not bodybuilders. Adding mass isn't the end all, be all for them. Their training style is geared towards more functional lifting meant to build power and explosiveness. Jackson's job is to take down QBs and he's plenty big for a DE in this scheme.

That a guy who was already 254 managed to get to 267 without getting sloppy is wild. That's an impressive gain, no matter who you are. I don't think you realize how ridiculous that weight is for a guy that is 6'3". That is nearly 20 pounds more than Von Miller's reported playing weight at the same height.

If anything I expect him to drop down closer to 260 as the season approaches and his football training gears up. I'm far more concerned with his conditioning and developing his skill as a pass rusher to be a more effective player this season.

If his conditioning is improved and he can go multiple downs then it's a success. The knock on him has also been his lack of upper body strength and ability to disengage. He's been a speed rusher but his frame allows him to do more. If he becomes jacked with power at the lower weight like Micah Parsons that's only a wish, but im just saying I think he has potential to add and do more. I love his attitude and hope he's a contributor this year especially with Ebukam gone. I also think with these younger guys who bulk during the off-season up to game 1 are more prone to loose weight as the season progresses as their game shape excess cardio burns off some of that off season weight.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Havent met Drake but I met Von, that dude is light in frame and will be walking around at 215-225 when he isn't stuffing calories to keep weight on. He's gonna drop a ton of weight like Joe Thomas when he isnt playing anymore. If Drake is naturally a 250 then he can put on 10-20 without too much of a loss in athleticism or conditioning, they tried to add it in college but even with all the funding in athletics... it's college guaranteed he was dirty bulking back then cause it wasn't a pure job back then and trainers werent up his a$$ all day.

In the NFL they have people taking measurements every week or other week seeing when weight affects athleticism and then tempering from there. In the end it's up to the player, look at McG... his trainers told him well yeah you got more athleticism but you lost strength and anchor being that light. He tried to be on the lighter side like his BFF Staley but it affected him differently. So he put some of that weight back on and it helped for his contract year. He still doesnt look happy with the extra weight so now that he got paid by denver I could see him regressing again and getting lighter.

But a clean bulk is possible, its 10 pounds on a 250+ frame... that really isnt crazy. 20 pounds is starting to push it but he's been jumping between 250-280 since college depending on what trainers tell him and now he finally has a year of NFL experience along with pros and metrics helping him.
[ Edited by TheRickestRick on Jun 10, 2023 at 1:04 PM ]

Originally posted by dhp318:
Dude is looking fat

How does his "fatness" compare to this guy?

Originally posted by random49er:
Dude is looking fat

How does his "fatness" compare to this guy?

Not many guys can one arm throw his tackle.
Parsons did it to McGlinchy. BY had that strength. The point of this bulk up is upper body strength for Drake. If he just joined the 3 plate club then he's a way to go to get here. I don't think Reggie could do a backflip, so n there's trade offs to being 300lbs.
Not many guys can one arm throw his tackle.
Parsons did it to McGlinchy. BY had that strength. The point of this bulk up is upper body strength for Drake. If he just joined the 3 plate club then he's a way to go to get here. I don't think Reggie could do a backflip, so n there's trade offs to being 300lbs.

Hump move. It's not so much about raw strength as it is the combination of strength with manipulating balance and leverage with proper technique. The hump move really only works if an edge can threaten with speed. McGlinchey was thrown onto his ass because he was terrified of Parson's speed rush and threw out his balance and footwork to stop it. He opened the gate and scrambled to wash Parson out, which left his entire momentum going in one direction. From that point, it doesn't require crazy strength to use his momentum to send him onto his ass.

As for the post above, I would never use Reggie White to prove a point. IMO, he was the freakiest athlete ever to play in the NFL. There's never been an edge that could win with power as well bend the arc and win with speed at a legit 300 pounds. That gif is a good example of how speed is used to set up the hump move. Reggie wins with speed and then fakes the speed to win with the hump move. GOAT edge, IMO.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jun 11, 2023 at 10:53 AM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Dude is looking fat

He does kind of look like he's at the tail end of a dirty bulk.

This is partly why rebuilding his body is going to take multiple offseasons. He came into the league with his body significantly underdeveloped. It's going to be a process. Drake said he's just now hitting 3 plates on bench...

Training camp will take care of the excess fat. Bench is overrated imo. Squat is a better measure of overall strength. Power starts from the legs.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jun 11, 2023 at 3:31 PM ]
  • Silky
  • Veteran

Sure there's a lot of elguapos in the gym that focus on that one thing. Bench press. There's a lot of normal dudes who can bench a lot in this world. They are not world class athletes that focus on every other area of their game. And how many times did drake put up 315? Was it once or 20 times? I honestly don't know. I do know he showed some great flashes last season
Share 49ersWebzone