There are 237 users in the forums

Niners sign CB Charvarius "Mooney" Ward

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Weak AF.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
Meh.

We got a CB in FA but I don´t know if he was the best option because it seems that we is just an above.average CB and not a top CB and I don´t know if he can cover Kupp, DK and Nuk.

That´s a lot of money to not know if we really got better in the secondary

1. No one can cover those guys.
2. Its not a lot of money.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
He any good?

Meh

Nah he's a good CB that hasn't hit his full potential yet IMO. Price is a bit steep but for all that experience at such a young age still I'll take it. Dude is a beast in run support too. I'm pretty sure they liked him a lot in that draft class and wanted to take him. I like it!!

lol wrong Ward I'm thinking of this guy went undrafted. Derp
[ Edited by 49ers808 on Mar 14, 2022 at 9:19 PM ]
At least he's an upgrade over Dontae Johnson
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BMoore56:
Niners actively pursuing "top cb".....

A few moments lata.....

Niners sign Chavarius Ward ..

🤦🏼‍♂️

Lol well we paid him like a near "top cb"
Here is what PFF said about him.
"Ward played the 2021 season on a second-round restricted free agent tender and continued to show he can hold up as a man cover corner with good size at 6-foot-1, 200 pounds. If Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback Carlton Davis and New England Patriots cornerback J.C. Jackson were to be franchise-tagged or extended by their current clubs, Ward would have an argument as the best cornerback available due to his ability to play out wide in a man coverage scheme.

Ward also excels in an area that every defensive coordinator will love: tackling. He's one of the best pure tacklers at wide corner in the NFL, and his 5% missed tackle percentage is the lowest rate among the top 75 outside cornerbacks in total tackles since 2019."
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:
Weak AF.

Weak GM
Originally posted by walker807:

I mean, he's probably CB1 on the team. Moseley and Thomas battle it out for CB2.

Does Ward play slot?
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Damn that's a lot of dough. No Gilmore or Casey Hayward? Hopefully it works out.

Exactly my thought. I woulda rather given Gilmore that money if it was short term like this. Whatever hopefully it works out.

Originally posted by walker807:

He's an upgrade over all our CBs. Recency bias of what happened in the Bengals game is clouding everyone's thoughts. Go watch other games and don't just make a judgment on one, every CB in the league has worst games then others. Where my boy Hysterikal? Your thoughts?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
I wonder how many against this have never heard of him before 20 minutes ago.
Very solid signing, depending on how it's broken down with the cap hit if his market isn't super strong I can see us signing DJ Reed back too.

Excited to see Ambry/Lenoir year 2 jump as well, plus what we have with Mosley and the draft
Honestly…. Who?
Originally posted by Jcool:
I wonder how many against this have never heard of him before 20 minutes ago.

No real opinion. It's a big splash in Niners standards. He's young, has good size, and can play outside. So it probably a pretty high floor move. But he's not a household name so it's a bad move … :/
Share 49ersWebzone