LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

SF 49ERS vs Vikings Pregame Thread - 2021 Week 12

Shop Find 49ers gear online

SF 49ERS vs Vikings Pregame Thread - 2021 Week 12

Originally posted by thl408:
All good, paso. It's always a chuckle when I read your posts and I put the modern day definition of the word in place of the way you intended to use it.

That's ok, Thl, i take it good naturedly. And a bunch of WZoners remind me not infrequently…."old habits…."
Huge game for both teams so it's gonna be a good one.

Vikings gonna be riding high after their big win vs Green Bay. We have to keep doing what we've done the last two weeks. I can't see us having the same type of success on defense because the Vikings are incredibly well balanced on offense and have some really talented players on that side of the ball. Just have to win the turnover battle and hope our offense keeps playing mistake free football and grind their defense into the ground.

Note to Kyle...this is a game where if we're 4th and short within their 5 yard line...go for it. Gonna need TDs.

Huge game to see where the team really is. Win this one and keep it going vs a Seattle team that has always found ways to fix their crap play when we're on the schedule.
Arik Armstead - the man who only collects paychecks!

The 49ers gave this mediocore player $85 million! Now, they have to play him regardless because they don't want to look like they made a terrible decision.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by Wubbie:
On paper, the Vikings have a distinct advantage with their WR's versus our CB's.
I'm hopeful that Cousins plays within the system and doesn't necessarily try to force one-on-one matchups a la Aaron Rodgers and Devante Adams. If he actually just says "go long" or "Let's try the outside shoulder throw on the sideline", he can do so, but I don't think he has that confidence to do so.

I doubt we really shut them down, we'll have to win time of possession and successfully run the ball to minimize the VIK offense, who has excellent skill position players.

The problem is, statistically the Vikes are one of the best teams in defending the run.

Edit: sorry - offensively they are good at passing the ball and mediocre at running the ball, on the defensive side they seem to be statistically worse than we are on pass defense, but equally bad as us on run defense.
[ Edited by Giedi on Nov 22, 2021 at 1:06 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ersking:

The 49ers gave this mediocore player $85 million! Now, they have to play him regardless because they don't want to look like they made a terrible decision.
AA is playing well, plus we have an opt out on his contract soon
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

AA is playing well, plus we have an opt out on his contract soon

Good to know there is an opt-out. I sincerely hope the 49ers replace him with a better player, soon.

Wow really? Not that PFF is the end all-be all but their rating on him is pretty damn high. Most of the ways he actually impacts a game don't show up in the boxscore. Try to educate yourself a little more there, all right.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I never saw in Cuzins what kyle did in wanting to bring him here. He was just nothing special, but kyle really liked him. If BB hadn't dropped Jimmy.in our proverbial laps, kyle was going to get Couzins the next yr.

fast forward to now and i have to tip the hat to cuzins, as he has played some big time football, esp last week against GB/ARodgers. Terrific performance and now will have to admit, Cuzins is a good QB. This will not be an easy game and Vikes are a team we really need to put away…as in out of their misery. But that GB game was a wake up call. Vikes are tough, always have the tough DL, now a good OL, and Thiel as a standout star.

I hope same game plan going in, running the ball, but this will be as hard a team to beat as any we play this yr. Knowing now that Deebo can be Elijah, is sure a comforting thot. It will be nice to get Deebo back as a WR, but if Elijah can't go, then Deebo again. Against a really good team, Wilson is fine but he isn't in the Elijah/Deebo class, and sermon…well, we may have to wait a yr to see what he has. At Ohio St, he started off poorly but got going and ended up a really good RB. Hopefully same thing happens here. His start is sure low key, so hopefully he goes up from here.

I think given the Vike's weakness on defense we should be able to run on them, but their offense will be able to play the keep-away game too (vs the Jags), who's offense is atrocious. I think turnovers and big plays will mark this game. It's (I think) an even steven kind of game where the team that makes the least mistakes will take the W.
We win. I've seen the future.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I could use a comforting thot on this Monday morning

lol I've told pasodoc a number of times that 'thot' means something very different nowadays, and he still continues to use it.

He has to toss all that medical knowledge out of his brain to make room for some vulgar language!

Originally posted by PA49ersfan:
We win. I've seen the future.
Great Scott!!!
Originally posted by ninerjok:

Wow really? Not that PFF is the end all-be all but their rating on him is pretty damn high. Most of the ways he actually impacts a game don't show up in the boxscore. Try to educate yourself a little more there, all right.

PFF ratings are all over the place. Statistics can be used to one's advantage in the NFL, depending on which side you are on. End of the day, I don't see much production, and Bucker >>> Armstead. We had a good player and we traded him for a mediocore one. In case you missed it - the key part here is the $85 million & what you get in return!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
I'll just throw out the largely overlooked take here:

The home team in this series has won games going back quite a long time. We haven't won in Minnesota since 1992, and the 49ers have beaten the Vikings going back to at 2015 at home (that hilarious season opener).

I'm hoping we can finally go to Minnesota next time and win, but for now we won't have to. Seeing the importance of this game and the renewed fight of the team, I believe Levi's will play a role in us getting the 6th win of the season.

I'm wondering if cold weather vs hot weather has something to do with it.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerjok:

PFF ratings are all over the place. Statistics can be used to one's advantage in the NFL, depending on which side you are on. End of the day, I don't see much production, and Bucker >>> Armstead. We had a good player and we traded him for a mediocore one. In case you missed it - the key part here is the $85 million & what you get in return!

The Buckner vs Armstead decision was a tough one. For sure. I think the jury is still out on that. Kinlaw was injured - but the prognosis is that he'll be back healthy in a year or so. So agree with you for this particular time - it was a bad decision, but in a few years, you have to re-evaluate.

Personally, I liked the trade considering Kinlaw was a perfect specimen for Kocurek's defense. I don't know if Buckner fit into Kocurek's defense as well as Kinlaw (when Healthy). ShanaLynch have to do better in their medical evaluations, is all I can say.
A win would basically give us a 2-game advantage over them in the playoff race. Absolutely HUGE game here.
Share 49ersWebzone