LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

What's wrong with the offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What's wrong with the offense?

A mixture of poor QB play (especially in games 2,3, and 4) and poor execution. The offense is suffering an identity crisis because of the mixed QB styles and the players are not able to execute either style all that well. It's not going to get better if we go back to Jimmy, because he'll inevitably aggravate his calf injury and we'll continue to bounce between QBs.
  • titan
  • Veteran
OLine not very good cause of some players. Too many penalties and injuries. Our best offensive player on the field is a WR that plays like a RB and a FB that is an average receiver.

Originally posted by Wubbie:
Originally posted by 49TimFL:
Is Shanny on the Hot Seat??

With ownership? No.

The Yorks love Shanahan (and Lynch). And whether you agree with it or not, this regime has the scapegoat of injuries they can point to for poor performance since our Super Bowl appearance. The team is still playing hard and each of our losses have been by less than a touchdown.

And by drafting Trey Lance, Shanahan and Lynch bought themselves at least two years to develop him and the roster around him.

We will never win a Super Bowl with the dorks, ownership is the dam problem, ran out a good coach already
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
This has been Kyle Shanahans worst year as a playcaller with the 49ers

My only major qualms with Shanahan's playcalling this year is the QB runs on third/fourth down when the defense is expecting it.

The offense has still been productive, yardage-wise, but we're inconsistent at times, and today, we struggled to convert on key third/fourth downs that could've led to points.

This fool did some stupid stuff last 2 games. He needs to lineup and play football

for the past 2 years I have said it over and over... KS is a great play DESIGNER, and may even a GOOD OC, but HC he is not..... he calls play as they come or should I say, he call plays according to his liking..

he does not plan around a team he's playing... he fully believes that his designs are UNIVERSAL..

this season alone, did our offense NOT look the same??

here's an example.. on the play where Lance almost broke his neck for running the ball in the end zone.. we could have easily lined up in a JUMBO PACKAGE and put The Best FB in the NFL behind the QB and simply run it up their gut... instead, he lines up #44 wide, send him in motion and try to look pretty by getting Lance back under the Center....

The QB is a rookie and it would have made it easier for him to just hand off the ball and try to score that way so that all game long, he would not be chasing the score..
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Reminds me of how our offense looked in 2014. Will look good for stretches then the wheels just fall of and it crumbles. Looks like an ostrich on roller skates. Never gets in any sustained rhythm.
We've lost our last three games by a touchdown or less each. We've certainly been in the mix the last few games but haven't found a way to win in the tight areas. And it's not just one thing.

Against the Packers, we started slow offensively. Rodgers picked on our CB's. Yet we still limited them in the second half and then scored a go-ahead TD, but left too much time on the clock and Rodgers got to be the hero.

Against the Seahawks, we started off strong on offense, and then tapered off.. Jimmy got injured, Trey started slow, and by that time, the Seahawks woke up. We had some special teams gaffes and our raw rookie QB had to try and pass his way back in.

Against the Cardinals, Shanahan built a gameplan for a running QB and didn't really have anything too complicated in the pass game. We were able to limit the Cardinals offense, but the real story of the game was the penalties and the failure to convert on third/fourth downs.

Across the board, it's not just one thing. Our offense will play well, and then our defense gets picked on. Our offense goes cold, and our defense steps up. We're a competitive football team, the sky isn't falling, but we're not playing our best football across the board. We play well for stretches, but are so inconsistent and that's something that starts with Shanahan. He needs to figure it out.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
We've lost our last three games by a touchdown or less each. We've certainly been in the mix the last few games but haven't found a way to win in the tight areas. And it's not just one thing.

Against the Packers, we started slow offensively. Rodgers picked on our CB's. Yet we still limited them in the second half and then scored a go-ahead TD, but left too much time on the clock and Rodgers got to be the hero.

Against the Seahawks, we started off strong on offense, and then tapered off.. Jimmy got injured, Trey started slow, and by that time, the Seahawks woke up. We had some special teams gaffes and our raw rookie QB had to try and pass his way back in.

Against the Cardinals, Shanahan built a gameplan for a running QB and didn't really have anything too complicated in the pass game. We were able to limit the Cardinals offense, but the real story of the game was the penalties and the failure to convert on third/fourth downs.

Across the board, it's not just one thing. Our offense will play well, and then our defense gets picked on. Our offense goes cold, and our defense steps up. We're a competitive football team, the sky isn't falling, but we're not playing our best football across the board. We play well for stretches, but are so inconsistent and that's something that starts with Shanahan. He needs to figure it out.

you ADD all that and what answer do you see ??
Originally posted by 9moon:
for the past 2 years I have said it over and over... KS is a great play DESIGNER, and may even a GOOD OC, but HC he is not..... he calls play as they come or should I say, he call plays according to his liking..

he does not plan around a team he's playing... he fully believes that his designs are UNIVERSAL..

here's an example.. on the play where Lance almost broke his neck for running the ball in the end zone.. we could have easily lined up in a JUMBO PACKAGE and put The Best FB in the NFL behind the QB and simply run it up their gut... instead, he lines up #44 wide, send him in motion and try to look pretty by getting Lance back under the Center....

The QB is a rookie and it would have made it easier for him to just hand off the ball and try to score that way so that all game long, he would not be chasing the score..

Except our team is an outside zone team. We're not the 2011 Frank Gore 49ers power running team. On that particular play, the Cardinals actually had great interior penetration. A power run might've gotten blown up.

If Trey stretched to the pylon instead of trying to run people over, that might've been a TD. He was stopped short by a matter of inches. It's not an easy decision either way when you're playing with a rookie QB who is raw as a passer.

That the sky isn't falling, but the team just needs to continue to work at it in the film room and the practice field. I'm not worried that they won't correct things. It's a strong locker room and coaching staff.

I'm confident that they'll turn things around. I think our limitations are too great to make a deep playoff run, realistically, but I'll be surprised if we don't challenge for that last wild card spot.
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
The league has figured out Shanahan.

Lazy take. Shanny has been a play caller since 2008

Everything
  • 9moon
  • Veteran

Except our team is an outside zone team. We're not the 2011 Frank Gore 49ers power running team. On that particular play, the Cardinals actually had great interior penetration. A power run might've gotten blown up.

If Trey stretched to the pylon instead of trying to run people over, that might've been a TD. He was stopped short by a matter of inches. It's not an easy decision either way when you're playing with a rookie QB who is raw as a passer.

THIS is actually what the problem is, just because we our an outside zone team it should not mean that we can not or must not have plays where we can just run it up the gut... that's a sign of being stubborn... we are trying to score, and we are trying to win... if we brought in a JUMBO PACKAGE, the defensive line up should not matter because it's just a straight up power football. ...
  • 9moon
  • Veteran

That the sky isn't falling, but the team just needs to continue to work at it in the film room and the practice field. I'm not worried that they won't correct things. It's a strong locker room and coaching staff.

I'm confident that they'll turn things around. I think our limitations are too great to make a deep playoff run, realistically, but I'll be surprised if we don't challenge for that last wild card spot.

UNTIL Shanny starts using his weapons more ways than just END AROUNDS... JET SWEEP... Spread Option Over the Middle... we will continue to have trouble because every teams we'll face will just continue to sit and wait for his GIMMICK offense..
THIS is actually what the problem is, just because we our an outside zone team it should not mean that we can not or must not have plays where we can just run it up the gut... that's a sign of being stubborn... we are trying to score, and we are trying to win... if we brought in a JUMBO PACKAGE, the defensive line up should not matter because it's just a straight up power football. ...

Not saying it wouldn't work, but J.J. Watt and their dline were making life difficult for us all day. On that particular play, it felt like they had a strong interior surge on the play. Yes, we could've scored a TD. But we could've also been stuffed on 4th and 1 and people wondering why we're not making use of our mobile QB on the edge in the redzone.

Trey was stopped short by inches. He scores if he races to the pylon, tries to go over top, or possibly floats one over to Elijah Mitchell. Hindsight is 20/20.
no identity on offense...no reliance on a run game...nothing
I don't know what they're trying to be
Share 49ersWebzone