LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 281 users in the forums

Don't we normally sign a lot more undrafted free agents?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by miked1978:
One thing to keep in mind, players may not want to come here if they think their isn't much of a shot to make the 53 or the practice squad. I'm sure agents tell them which teams are deep and which teams aren't.

I know I'm a homer but I think our team is pretty deep and the chances are slim even to make the PS.

This is 100% correct, players with the help of their agents decide where to go based on 2 things, the depth chart to see if they can make the 53, and 2 whoever offers the most GTD money, apparently we edged out the Bengals, Ravens and Titans, among other teams(this from Barrows on The Atheltic, I sub to it now) to get Austin Watkins, he probably looked at the depth chart, and said I have a real shot at making the 49ers 53 or PS for sure.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:
We brought back so many free agents that there's no room for UDFAs. Watkins has a slight chance to make the team but he'll have to clearly outplay Richie James, Travis Benjamin, and Jauan Jennings.

NO NEED...

Once KS fall in love w/a player, the job is secured!!
Originally posted by 9moon:
We brought back so many free agents that there's no room for UDFAs. Watkins has a slight chance to make the team but he'll have to clearly outplay Richie James, Travis Benjamin, and Jauan Jennings.

NO NEED...

What makes you think he's in love with Watkins?
There is no room on the roster. Niners made so many moves in FA they don't have the room. Still, things can change depending on who makes rosters elsewhere and who gets cut. Niners took great advantage of situations like that in FA and maybe they will do it again before the season starts.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran

NO NEED...

What makes you think he's in love with Watkins?

Can you show me where I posted that he's in love with Watkins.. All I'm saying is that the minute he falls in love w/a player (the minute... the minute...) that player's job is secured and he wont have to OUTPLAY anyone..
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by miked1978:
One thing to keep in mind, players may not want to come here if they think their isn't much of a shot to make the 53 or the practice squad. I'm sure agents tell them which teams are deep and which teams aren't.

I know I'm a homer but I think our team is pretty deep and the chances are slim even to make the PS.

This is 100% correct, players with the help of their agents decide where to go based on 2 things, the depth chart to see if they can make the 53, and 2 whoever offers the most GTD money, apparently we edged out the Bengals, Ravens and Titans, among other teams(this from Barrows on The Atheltic, I sub to it now) to get Austin Watkins, he probably looked at the depth chart, and said I have a real shot at making the 49ers 53 or PS for sure.

Caution here is the Dee Fords, DJ Jones, Bosa, Kittle, JG, the entire OL, and DL, et al...no need to name the lengthy list. As our GM/HC this yr showed, nobody with injury hx. It has just killed us the last 6 yrs and made it worse by adding to the list. Having great players who can't play is an absolute guarantee it will bite you in the arse. And last yr convinced kyle and john both. I sincerely hope they stick to that no matter what.

whatever, we are headed in the right direction...finally.
Originally posted by fryet:
This year we have 4. Don't we normally have 2 to 3 times that number? Is this an indication that the undrafted prefer to go elsewhere with a less veteran roster?

They did not check-in with Kyle Shanahan & were therefore presumed dead.

/thread.
Our FO did yeoman's work to sign a ton of FA's...many of whom were our own. There's depth galore just about everywhere...which is a great thing. Just no room to sign a bunch of UDFA's. This is the deepest roster Shanalynch have had. There will be spirited competition all over the roster, another great thing. Some cuts will be painful, but that's where you want to be heading into now a 17-game season.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by fryet:
This year we have 4. Don't we normally have 2 to 3 times that number? Is this an indication that the undrafted prefer to go elsewhere with a less veteran roster?

They don't have any space. They already have to cut at least four people.

Yep, and if you look at the roster, not many guys that are longshots, some have a real shot at making it, while they're gonna keep a guy like Hokit for preseason to not overuse Juice. The roster is just loaded.

I can't believe I'm typing this but there's going to be a real and serious competition on the IOL with one starter and 2 possibly 3 depth positions.

Yep, this team has to be the deepest and loaded in the Kyle/John era, so many guys, tough cuts will happen. the RG spot will be a huge battle, depth on the OL guys like Brunskill, McKivitz, and Moore all bring versatility. Also battles at other spots, LB, CB, S.
Aside from maybe Banks none of our draft picks this year are going to see much action early in the season let alone any UDFA.

We were never going to get a lot of UDFA's but there was not only very little space on the roster, there wasn't really any need either.

Originally posted by JaggedJ:
Aside from maybe Banks none of our draft picks this year are going to see much action early in the season let alone any UDFA.

We were never going to get a lot of UDFA's but there was not only very little space on the roster, there wasn't really any need either.

Another reason might be the fact that Richburg is still on the roster until June 1st when he most likely retires, so we're at 89 players, instead of 90, so 1 less spot, but it'll be filled in June, maybe a FA becomes available cheap.
This team has a pretty good roster. UDFAs are looking for places where they have a good shot at making it.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49digger:
This team has a pretty good roster. UDFAs are looking for places where they have a good shot at making it.

personally, I think our secondary is average at best..
Originally posted by gold49digger:

personally, I think our secondary is average at best..

Safeties above average, Verrett and Williams are excellent and Moseley is average. We need just one more cb and we are good to go.

as of now our secondary is barely top 10. IMO that's a good but not great secondary. However, we are 1 Verrett injury away from a s**tstorm
Hufanga was selected in the 5th round and he said his goal this year is to make the pro bowl as a special teams guy. When a 5th round pick sets his sights on special teams that should tell you how deep this team is.
Share 49ersWebzone