There are 153 users in the forums

Don't we normally sign a lot more undrafted free agents?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • fryet
  • Veteran
This year we have 4. Don't we normally have 2 to 3 times that number? Is this an indication that the undrafted prefer to go elsewhere with a less veteran roster?
Originally posted by fryet:
This year we have 4. Don't we normally have 2 to 3 times that number? Is this an indication that the undrafted prefer to go elsewhere with a less veteran roster?

They don't have any space. They already have to cut at least four people.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Yep, and if you look at the roster, not many guys that are longshots, some have a real shot at making it, while they're gonna keep a guy like Hokit for preseason to not overuse Juice. The roster is just loaded.
  • fryet
  • Veteran

I believe you can have up to 70 players during the off season? I understand that we will have to cut players to get down to 53, but normally you want more camp bodies for preseason.

So, does everyone agree the reason we only have signed 4 so far is due to the fact that undrafted free agents think they have better opportunities of making the roster on other teams, or would there be some other reason?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Yeah, even the PS is full.

I believe you can have up to 70 players during the off season? I understand that we will have to cut players to get down to 53, but normally you want more camp bodies for preseason.

So, does everyone agree the reason we only have signed 4 so far is due to the fact that undrafted free agents think they have better opportunities of making the roster on other teams, or would there be some other reason?

The max in the off-season is 90 players, so they need to cut 4 players.

You can have up to 90 and the 49ers are at 94 right now. There just wasn't room for a whole bunch of UDFAs, especially considering how many players they ended up drafting.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Here is a list of UDFA by team:
https://www.pff.com/news/draft-udfa-tracker-2021-nfl-draft-undrafted-free-agent-signings

5 other teams besides the 49ers had 4 or fewer UDFA (Redskins only had one).
4 seems kind of lite. In some past years didn't we do 10 or more?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
4 seems kind of lite. In some past years didn't we do 10 or more?

Yes, we usually sign between 10-15 UDFAs, but the roster is so deep, not many open spots, players probably felt they had a better chance to make a team elsewhere, I'm still pissed with Cade Johnson to Seattle, but I'm intrigues by Austin Watkins Jr.

Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Yes, we usually sign between 10-15 UDFAs, but the roster is so deep, not many open spots, players probably felt they had a better chance to make a team elsewhere, I'm still pissed with Cade Johnson to Seattle, but I'm intrigues by Austin Watkins Jr.

Cade is Doug Baldwin Jr. Don't know how that guy didn't get drafted. Of course Seattle is all over him. Great fit.
Prolly cause our roster is much deeper than years past
We brought back so many free agents that there's no room for UDFAs. Watkins has a slight chance to make the team but he'll have to clearly outplay Richie James, Travis Benjamin, and Jauan Jennings.
I hope the WR's making the 53 are: Samuel-Aiyuk-James-Hurd-Sherfield, Sanu+Jennings I would put on the PS along with Watkins, Benjamin I would just cut. If they only wanted to keep 2 WR's on the PS, I would bid Sanu farewell.
One thing to keep in mind, players may not want to come here if they think their isn't much of a shot to make the 53 or the practice squad. I'm sure agents tell them which teams are deep and which teams aren't.

I know I'm a homer but I think our team is pretty deep and the chances are slim even to make the PS.
Share 49ersWebzone