LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 251 users in the forums

***The Forever Official 53-MAN ROSTER/DEPTH CHART/PS Thread***

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
53-Man Roster, with Injured, & Practice Squad players.

QB(3): Jimmy Garoppolo(2022)/ Trey Lance(2024)/ Nate Sudfeld(2021)
RB(5): Raheem Mostert(2021)/ Jeff Wilson(2021)/ Trey Sermon(2024)/ Wayne Gallman Jr.(2021)/ Elijah Mitchell(2024)
FB(1): Kyle Juszyzck
WR(6): Brandon Aiyuk(2023)/ Deebo Samuel(2022)/ Trent Sherfield(2021)/ Jalen Hurd(2022)/ Richie James Jr.(2021)/ Mohamed Sanu Sr.(2021)
TE(3): George Kittle(2025)/ Ross Dwelley(2021)/ Charlie Woerner(2023)
C(2): Alex Mack(2023)/ Daniel Brunskill(2021)
OG(3): Laken Tomlinson(2021)/ Aaron Banks(2024)/ Colton McKivitz(2023)
OT(3): Trent Williams(2026)/ Mike McGlinchey(2022)/ Jaylon Moore(2024)
DE(5): Arik Armstead(2024)/ Nick Bosa(2022)/ Samson Ebukam(2022)/ Arden Key(2021)/ Jordan Willis(2021)
DT(2): Javon Kinlaw(2023)/ Maurice Hurst Jr.(2021)
NT(2): D.J. Jones(2021)/ Zach Kerr(2021)
LB(5): Fred Warner(2021)/ Dre Greenlaw(2022)/ Azeez Al-Shaair(2021)/ Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles(2021)/ Nathan Gerry(2021)
CB(5): Jason Verrett(2021)/ Emmanuel Moseley(2022)/ K'Waun Williams(2021)/ Ambry Thomas(2024)/ Deommodore Lenoir(2024)
S(5): Jimmie Ward(2022)/ Jaquiski Tartt(2021)/ Tarvarius Moore(2021)/ Marcell Harris(2021)/ Talanoa Hufanga(2024)
ST(3): Robbie Gould(2022)/ Mitch Wishnowsky(2022)/ Taybor Pepper(2022)

Short Term IR: DE Dee Ford(2022)

Practice Squad(16 total)

1. QB Josh Rosen
2. RB JaMycal Hasty
3. FB Josh Hokit
4. WR Jauan Jennings
5. WR Austin Watkins Jr.
6. TE Josh Pederson
7. OG Dakoda Shepley
8. OT Justin Skule
9. DE Alex Barrett
10. NT Darrion Daniels
11. LB Elijah Sullivan
12. LB Justin Dilliard
13. CB Tim Harris Jr.
14. CB Dontae Johnson
15. FS Jared Mayden
16. FS/SS Tavon Wilson

With this roster, the 49ers would have $8,101,218 in cap room, less when Fred Warner signs an extension, likely $3M less, so $5,101,218 to start 2021, and if Rosen ends up being the #3 QB, the cap room would go down by $252K, with Sudfeld on the PS making that amount, and the 49ers would get a $252K credit in 2022.

They do have options for gaining more cap room, via restructures, they can save $4.528M by restructuring Armstead's deal, they can save up to $5.86M by restructuring Ward's deal, but that would virtually guarantee Ward is a 49ers in 2022.

Lastly they could either extend or restructure Laken Tomlinson's contract, they'd save up to $2.808M, if they just restructured his contract, they'd have a higher dead money for him in 2022 than his already $1,005,530, if the redo was for 4 more voidable years, they'd be left with a total of $2.808M more, something the 49ers simply shouldn't think about doing.

More on Ward, if they redid his deal, that would add on up to $5.86M to Ward's dead money in 2023, which is $2M, as his deal has a voidable year in it. They would actually save money in 2022 if they did cut Ward, it would either be $7.5M Pre June 1 or just $1.64M if they redid his deal.

As for Armstead, they would either save $3.5M in 2022 with a Pre June 1 cut, or they'd lose $1.028M if they redid his deal this year. Now I don't actually see the 49ers releasing Armstead, so this would be the most sensible one to me.

And yes we can't forget Jimmy Garoppolo, but there is no way he'll take a pay cut, nor should the 49ers redo his deal, if they did, they'd save max $18.42M, but in 2022 they would save $25.6M by cutting or trading him, or it would end up being just $8.58M, so I don't see that happening.

For now, I have Kevin Givens not making the team, I can actually see him being suspended if he's not sentenced to any jail time, but is found guilty.

I believe the key camp battles will be the following.

#6 WR: Mohamed Sanu Sr., Jauan Jennings, Travis Benjamin, & Austin Watkins Jr.

Starting RG: Aaron Banks, Daniel Brunskill, & Colton McKivitz

Swing T: Jaylon Moore, Shon Coleman, & Justin Skule

Backup LBs: Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles, Nathan Gerry, Justin Dilliard, & Elijah Sullivan

The 49ers may actually go with the cheaper options, they could have Watkins on the 53, with Sanu on the PS, same as Gerry to PS, with Dilliard or Sullivan making the 53, also the fact that Watkins & Sullivan/Dilliard would be signed for 3yrs(2021-2023).

I kept all 5 backs, as I see Kyle not wanting to get rid of any of them, and he has final say on the 53, in this roster, Mitchell replaces Givens, due to the uncertainty of Givens's legal issues.

Plus with Mostert, Wilson, & Gallman all UFAs after 2021, Sermon & Mitchell are signed for 4yrs(2021-2024), so it'd be smart to keep both RB draft picks since they're on cheap rookie deals, where Mostert will likely want a bigger deal than he got, where he makes $2.9M a yr on average, so I see Wilson being the guy who is re-signed to a multi year deal(2-3 year deal).

Also thanks to this draft, the UFAs they have after 2021 may not be brought back, Aaron Banks & Jaylon Moore could make Laken Tomlinson expendable, plus I doubt the 49ers will want to pay him $5.5M a yr on a new deal.

Tartt, IMO, is unlikely to return, with Hufanga taking over in 2022.

FAs I see the 49ers trying to retain include, as long as 2021 goes well for these guys, RB Jeff Wilson Jr., RB Wayne Gallman Jr., WR Trent Sherfield, TE Ross Dwelley, C Daniel Brunskill, DE Arden Key, DE Jordan Willis, DT Maurice Hurst Jr., NT D.J. Jones, NT Zach Kerr, LB Azeez Al-Shaair, CB Jason Verrett, CB K'Waun Williams, FS Tarvarius Moore, & SS Marcell Harris.

All but Brunskill & Al-Shaair are UFAs after 2021, they will be RFAs, if Givens isn't convicted, then I believe he makes it, and he'd be a ERFA in 2022, also if Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles makes it, he's also a ERFA in 2022.

I'm not including MLB Fred Warner, as I'm 100% sure/confident he's extended this offseason, the 49ers can't let him hit the open market, even as a franchise tagged player, which will likely be over $17M, so it's smart to extend him, where he'd have a small cap number, around $5.5M, like with Kittle's deal last offseason.

Also, I can see Tarvarius Moore end up taking over Ward's spot at FS if he plays well, cutting Ward save around $7M in 2022.

Jimmy will most definitely not be back, they'll save around $25M. Also Deebo Samuel, Dre Greenlaw, & Mitch Wishnowsky's base salaries could escalate to $2.348M, which is what the original round tender for 2022 would be if the cap is $203M according to OTC.

So after factoring in draft picks, cutting/trading Jimmy, the escalated base salaries, and a Warner extension at $5.5M for 2022, the 49ers would have $15,927,147 in salary cap room on a $203M cap, there's a chance the cap may end up higher, but likely no higher than the $203M-$205M projection.

As I said above, the team would save around $7M if they cut Ward, it would be $6.795M after the top 51 rule with someone making $705K(2022's rookie minimum) replacing him on the top 51.

So that would give the team $22,722,147 in cap room for 2022 to retain the likes of Jeff Wilson Jr., Wayne Gallman Jr., Trent Sherfield, Ross Dwelley, Daniel Brunskill, Arden Key, Jordan Willis, Maurice Hurst Jr., D.J. Jones, Zach Kerr, Azeez Al-Shaair, Jason Verrett, K'Waun Williams, Tarvarius Moore, & Marcell Harris.

It's not impossible to retain most of these guys with that $22M in cap room, the 49ers did a great job this offseason signing many players from 2020, and adding 2 key FAs, so it's very possible, and even probable.

The one thing is Brunskill, I can see them doing a 1yr deal before FA begins, like they did with Wilson, Dwelley, & Harris this offseason to avoid them being RFAs, something less than the $2.348M tender, also the same with Al-Shaair.

As for ERFAs, if Givens & Flannigan-Fowles are on the roster, they would cost $895K to tender them at the 3rd year minimum.

They can create more cap room by redoing someone like Armstead, and/or Kittle, they would save $8.332M for Kittle, & $10,424M for Armstead.

So the team could have between $15,927,147-$41,478,147, but the team honestly doesn't need that much cap room IMO, and as I said I can see them retaining most of their guys with that $22M if they do cut Ward, now if they don't cut Ward, then they'd need to create some cap room, so someone would be restructured, Kittle makes the most sense, because he's not going anywhere anytime soon, where Armstead being redone would make it tough to get out of his contract after 2022, but I do see him being here for 2022 and beyond, it all really depends on what the 49ers feel is the best for the future.

Also the team could end up with credits, maybe not as much as the $10M+ they got for 2021, but a good amount that would help, maybe $5M, getting them to $20M without cutting Ward, which still would be enough to retain most of our FAs that the team wants back.

AB, the resident WZ doctorate

Thanks as always Buff,
Thanks as always Buff,

I just appreciate the level of detail! I always get smarter from your posts!
Thanks as always Buff,

Thanks bud, about the PM I doubled it for your son, best luck, prayers going out to you, your son, and family.
Thanks as always Buff,

Thanks bud, about the PM I doubled it for your son, best luck, prayers going out to you, your son, and family.

You're amazing! Thank you so much!
Thanks as always Buff,

You're amazing! Thank you so much!

You're very welcome, I'll be doing it again next month, since my Mom gets my Dad's SSI because he passed, and they were still married despite splitting when I was a kid, he just never wanted to get divorced, plus pay for it, he was cheap lol, but we have some extra money each month thanks to that, obviously I wish my Dad was still here, I'd rather have him than the money, but at least we get it and it does help. It's something that we weren't getting at the time I did the GFM for Honey. Social Security takes forever, anyway, no problem, pulling for your son.
  • 91til
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Who the hell is Trent Sherfield?

WR we signed from Arizona.

Ohhhhhhhh that's right totally forgot

gunner with legit speed fwiw (not that I have many hopes, but Goodwin at one point was "just a fast guy" too and he became a little more than that for us)
  • 91til
  • Veteran
You guys don't see Ebukam as a Sam in base? Bosa, Kinlaw, Jones, Armstead as the DL. Fred and Dre as Mike and Will. Obviously I know Ebukam'll have his hand in the dirt in Nickel.
Originally posted by 91til:
You guys don't see Ebukam as a Sam in base? Bosa, Kinlaw, Jones, Armstead as the DL. Fred and Dre as Mike and Will. Obviously I know Ebukam'll have his hand in the dirt in Nickel.

I think he'll play both, depends on what defense they're gonna play each game, he probably will get most of his snaps at that LEO spot that Dee was signed/traded for. Plus I think the Bosa-Kinlaw-Jones-Armstead will be one of the main lines, but you'll also have Bosa-Kinlaw-Armstead-Ebukam, or add in someone like Kerr, Hurst, Key, Willis, depending on how many DL they keep, I have 9 making it, so one may be inactive.
Let's not forget about Travis Benjamin. He and James should be the front runners for the slot.

Sanu didn't generate much enthusiasm from the team and they didn't have a problem releasing him. He's a fringe guy who will be in contention for the final spot.

WR: Aiyuk, Samuel, James, Benjamin, Hurd...
The final spot will be a battle between: Sanu, Sherfield, Watkins.

Bringing in a player like Tate would make a lot of sense. There will probably be a few slot WRs that become available soon. Another veteran on a 1 year deal would be ideal.
Originally posted by strickac:
Let's not forget about Travis Benjamin. He and James should be the front runners for the slot.

Sanu didn't generate much enthusiasm from the team and they didn't have a problem releasing him. He's a fringe guy who will be in contention for the final spot.

Bringing in a player like Tate would make a lot of sense. There will probably be a few slot WRs that become available soon. Another veteran on a 1 year deal would be ideal.

I actually have Sherfield making it, they must like to give him part of his salary GTD. I don't think Benjamin is on the roster, he costs $1.075M, rather keep Sherfield, and if not Sanu, then maybe Watkins wins the 6th WR spot.

I actually have Sherfield making it, they must like to give him part of his salary GTD. I don't think Benjamin is on the roster, he costs $1.075M, rather keep Sherfield, and if not Sanu, then maybe Watkins wins the 6th WR spot.

Feel like Sherfield is the favourite for wr#3
AB tell everyone why we can't get Julio.

I saw that. If Benjamin stayed active this past year it'll be a huge feat for Sherfield to beat him out. Benjamin can play inside or outside and he's a vet with speed.

Following the money usually is great and place to start. We'll see how it plays out. I think it's more likely another guy comes in. I don't think Sherfield will make it though.
  • 91til
  • Veteran
Originally posted by strickac:

I just think Benjamin is a better player than Sanu at this point. We'll see in camp obviously

On second thought, I think you're probably about Sherfield. Coming from the Cards the team probably knows him pretty well. He's played well and he's a gunner on ST. He's versatile and has some experience.

I'd give the #6 to Benjamin over Sanu. Though, if Hurd can't stay healthy, it's a moot point.
Originally posted by Bellaleo:

Feel like Sherfield is the favourite for wr#3
AB tell everyone why we can't get Julio.

I think he is the favorite for the 3rd WR spot.

Yeah, Julio can't happen, I've estimated us to have around $8M when the season begins, less when Warner is extended, yes we can create cap room, but it's not smart to redo Jimmy, our savings would go from $25M to $8M. Ward is a cut candidate in 2022 IMO we'd save $6.795M, but if we redo him, we'd only save like $1.5M, as for AA, right now we'd save just $3.5M in 2022, and I hate the idea of redoing contracts, I wouldn't do it with anyone, the only one I might consider if I'm the 49ers is Tomlinson, I thought an extension, but with Banks & Moore picks, plus McKivitz, I think he's gone after 2021, same with Mostert thanks to the Sermon & Mitchell picks, mostly the Sermon, being a 3rd rd pick.

As for Julio, he would take up a little over $15M in 2021 cap room, we simply don't have that, even though we have $18M, we really have just $12M when you factor in the draft picks, but if you were to factor in all 90, we'd be $20.2M over the cap, but that's not an issue cause 90 guys aren't kept, every team is likely way over the cap with all 90 or whatever are signed.

As for Julio in 2022, he takes up $11.513M, now that looks ok, but, after factoring in Jimmy being traded or cut, all draft picks, adding enough players to have a top 51, and before a Warner extension, which I think would take up just $5.5M in 2022, they'd be a little over $20M under, around $15M with a Warner deal if it's similar to Kittle's deal. So if Julio takes up $11.513M, we're only $3.5M under, and we have FAs we'll likely want back, RB Jeff Wilson Jr., RB Wayne Gallman Jr., WR Trent Sherfield, TE Ross Dwelley, C Daniel Brunskill, DE Arden Key, DE Jordan Willis, DT Maurice Hurst Jr., NT D.J. Jones, NT Zach Kerr, LB Azeez Al-Shaair, CB Jason Verrett, CB K'Waun Williams, FS Tarvarius Moore, & SS Marcell Harris

We can do most of these guys on just $20M, obviously they'd have small cap numbers. It's gonna be tight for 2022, and maybe 2023 if COVID effects 2023's cap like some think, others think the cap will explode in 2023, more likely 2024 since the new TV deals kick in for 2023, and unless they make up revenue lost from 2020, the cap will be like $230M in 2023.

So a Julio trade won't be happening, I don't even think they want to trade him, it's their cap situation, they're slightly under the cap by like $2M or $3M, and they need money to sign their draft picks, and according to OTC, they'd be over the cap if you could the draft picks.
Share 49ersWebzone