LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 155 users in the forums

***The Forever Official 53-MAN ROSTER/DEPTH CHART/PS Thread***

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
An FYI, Tartt wasn't put on PUP, same as Dee, so they won't be eligible to begin the year on reserve/PUP, meaning they will be on the 53 man at cut downs. Just something for people to know, the only 2 players who can begin on PUP are Moore & Wilson.

Would Jordan Willis count towards the 53 since he's suspended?
Originally posted by NCommand:
An FYI, Tartt wasn't put on PUP, same as Dee, so they won't be eligible to begin the year on reserve/PUP, meaning they will be on the 53 man at cut downs. Just something for people to know, the only 2 players who can begin on PUP are Moore & Wilson.

No

What he get suspended for?
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Originally posted by 60sFan:
No way they cut Jimmy, i don't care what anyone says, if they did that, it would effect the locker room, it would make Kyle look like a liar, he said Jimmy is here for 2021.

Curious. If Trey beats out Jimmy, you think Kyle keep him as a back up?

First, I doubt that Lance beats out Jimmy. He doesn't have enough experience. Second your whole reasoning flies in the face of what Shanahan himself has said. The goal this year was to improve the QB room. They like Jimmy because he wins when he plays, the problem is that he hasn't been able to play as much as they would like and the back-ups they had couldn't get it done when he was out. Now you're suggesting that they go back to the same situation that prompted them to trade for Lance in the first place. Except instead of having an experienced starter with two subpar back-ups you have a rookie starter who lacks experience and two journeymen back-ups. Genius.

Lance is only 21 years old, he has time to sit and learn how the NFL game is played. There is absolutely no reason to rush him onto the field unless Jimmy can't get it done for some reason other than the usual biases of the people who come in here to talk s**t about him all the time, I imagine he will be the starter throughout the season with Lance coming in under certain conditions like late game blowouts, or with specific play designs. Lynch and Kyle went to York before they made the deal for Lance to see if he was okay with paying Jimmy for the year, to which he said yes, so the money invested in the QB position this year is going to be the same regardless of who is starting and who is sitting. I think the only thing that would change that is if Jimmy decided he didn't like being benched for a rookie if he believes he has been playing well enough to keep the job. He is very popular in the locker room and Shanahan would be playing with fire if he benched Jimmy for any other reason then consistently terrible play, a lesson that Jim Harbaugh had to learn the hard way. So far consistently bad play hasn't been Jimmy's MO . He'll throw the occasional head scratcher but he has also shown he can really ball out and I suspect when all is said and done that, for the moment at least, he is the guy who will give them the best chance to win. If things go south and the team falls out of contention then I suspect Lance might see more opportunities. Time will tell I guess. Go Niners!

That's a key thing, Jed said he has no issue paying both JG and Trey, the 49ers(Lynch) said they budgeted for Jimmy's cap number, they'll be around $4.5M to $5.5M under by my projections, it's not like they need that $25M, no one who needs a new deal is even eligible(Bosa, Deebo, Dre, etc...), they're not extending McGlinchey since they picked his 5th yr option up, they likely want to see him rebound before committing the kind of money for a RT. No reason to overpay for any FA out there right now, they've been unsigned since March for a reason, Ingram wanted more than anyone would offer, KC wanted him, but couldn't afford $4M but PIT could.

Also I know the whole, well TB and KC brought everyone back and added(KC), yeah well, look at structure, TB used 4 void years on almost everyone of their signings to get them under the cap, KC redid every deal they could to get Thuney, and others signed, if we go out and do that, it's just the dumbest thing to do, I always hated redoing deals, or the void years, it just pushed issues down the line, look at GB, they redid Rodgers to add more cap room this yr to get Randall Cobb, who Aaron wanted, and probably to extend Adams, but in 2022, they're $35M(pre Rodgers redo) OVER the $208.2M ceiling.

I understand your arguments. The facts you guys are presenting are actual. The main part of both arguments comes down to whether or not Lance wins the starting position in training camp. I say he will.

It was said already that Lance has absorbed and understands the whole playbook by most sources close to beat writers like Maiocco, Barrows, etc. For instance, Maiocco said he had never seen a new QB improve so quickly during OTA's.

The things you mentioned Shanahan said are true. I just think he has an ulterior motive.

Pump and Dump. I think Shanahan wants Jimmy gone. Ever since they moved up to #3 overall to get Lance, he has curbed his criticisms and faint praises for more positive praises. Very little is said about Tray by him or Lynch. They desperately want something in return for Jimmy. He has to make it appear that Jimmy is the starter and is valuable. Also, it is smart to keep Jimmy around to make sure Tray makes the progress necessary before letting Jimmy go.

The players will have a front row seat to see Tray beat out Jimmy. And that's what Kyle is counting on. Should that happen, no way they keep Jimmy as a backup. That's when problems will occur in the locker room. I would think it's better to either roll over the cap savings by releasing/trading Jimmy or get some added support players like an ER like Justin Houston, or another veteran CB/S.

I know I am out on a limb. This is just my opinion of how I read Kyle and what he will do. We will soon know.

No

Thought so. TY.
Pre-TC prediction:

QB: Jimmy Garoppolo, Trey Lance, Nate Sudfield
RB: Raheem Mostert, Trey Sermon, Elijah Mitchell, Wayne Gallman
WR: Brandon Aiyuk, Deebo Samuel, Jalen Hurd, Mohamed Sanu, Richie James, Jajuan Jennings
TE: George Kittle, Ross Dwelley, Charlie Woerner
OT: Trent Williams, Mike McGlinchey, Colton McKivitz
IOL: Laken Tomlinson, Alex Mack, Daniel Brunskill, Aaron Banks, Jaylen Moore

DE: Nick Bosa, Dee Ford, Samson Ebukam, Arik Armstead, Arden Key
DT: Javon Kinlaw, Kevin Givens, DJ Jones, Zach Kerr
LB: Fred Warner, Dre Greenlaw, Justin Hilliard, Azeez Al-Shaair, Marcell Harris
CB: Jason Verrett, Emmanuel Moseley, Ambry Thomas, Deommodore Lenoir, K'Waun Williams, Dontae Johnson
S: Jimmie Ward, Jaquiski Tartt, Tony Jefferson, Tavon Wilson, Talanoa Hufanga

STS: Robbie Gould, Mitch Wishnowsky, Taybor Pepper
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jul 28, 2021 at 2:54 PM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
The harsh reality is that Jimmy is the starter unless he gets injured or plays like crap.

The true reality is that just like today where jimmy was an excellent 9 for 10 with only one pass over 20 yards, Trey filled the air with footballs, 30-50 yards downfield. He was also 9 for 10. You don't think Kyle noticed? Trey already has it all over Jimmy with his ability to run...
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Pre-TC prediction:

WR: Brandon Aiyuk, Deebo Samuel, Jalen Hurd, Mohamed Sanu, Richie James, Jajuan Jennings

CB: Jason Verrett, Emmanuel Moseley, Ambry Thomas, Deommodore Lenoir, K'Waun Williams, Dontae Johnson

Mostly aligned with you. 3 key differences in mine:
- I'd prob put Sherfield over Jennings. JJ can easily make our PS.
- I'd nix Harris for a vet FA after the TC cuts. MH is too much of a tweener.
- I don't think Wilson and Jefferson make it on the final roster. One is replaced by Zettel/Yarbrough due to Bosa/Ford durability.
Originally posted by lamontb:

What he get suspended for?

I think PEDs or something with the Substance Abuse Policy.
I'm assuming that after cut downs, there will be a CB or two available for cheap that's better than Dontae Johnson or Tim Harris.

Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Pre-TC prediction:

Mostly aligned with you. 3 key differences in mine:
- I'd prob put Sherfield over Jennings. JJ can easily make our PS.
- I'd nix Harris for a vet FA after the TC cuts. MH is too much of a tweener.
- I don't think Wilson and Jefferson make it on the final roster. One is replaced by Zettel/Yarbrough due to Bosa/Ford durability.

To OTC, I don't think they cut either Hurst or Pruitt, both seem like locks, Hurst did get some GTD money, but Pruitt, he got $637,500 of his $987,500 GTD. I'd also put Sherfield on the 53, I think he surprises people. Also I'm against Dontae Johnson.

Also, with the PS factored in, this roster leaves us with $4,578,473 in cap room.

To GEEK, I don't know if you keep both Wilson & Jefferson also, you'd guarantee both of their salaries, same as Johnson. As for Zettel, his deal would be GTD if he makes it, no to Yarbrough though, only 2yrs accrued.

Here's my new update, https://49erscap.com/index.php/2021/07/28/updated-49ers-53-man-roster-projection-plus-injured-lists-practice-squad-10-0/
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I'm assuming that after cut downs, there will be a CB or two available for cheap that's better than Dontae Johnson or Tim Harris.

I am sick of seeing Dontae on the team. I mean, good for him, he's employed and living his dream but it's indicative of our talent level at CB over the years that dude has stuck around.
Originally posted by 49ers81:
First, I doubt that Lance beats out Jimmy. He doesn't have enough experience. Second your whole reasoning flies in the face of what Shanahan himself has said. The goal this year was to improve the QB room. They like Jimmy because he wins when he plays, the problem is that he hasn't been able to play as much as they would like and the back-ups they had couldn't get it done when he was out. Now you're suggesting that they go back to the same situation that prompted them to trade for Lance in the first place. Except instead of having an experienced starter with two subpar back-ups you have a rookie starter who lacks experience and two journeymen back-ups. Genius.

Lance is only 21 years old, he has time to sit and learn how the NFL game is played. There is absolutely no reason to rush him onto the field unless Jimmy can't get it done for some reason other than the usual biases of the people who come in here to talk s**t about him all the time, I imagine he will be the starter throughout the season with Lance coming in under certain conditions like late game blowouts, or with specific play designs. Lynch and Kyle went to York before they made the deal for Lance to see if he was okay with paying Jimmy for the year, to which he said yes, so the money invested in the QB position this year is going to be the same regardless of who is starting and who is sitting. I think the only thing that would change that is if Jimmy decided he didn't like being benched for a rookie if he believes he has been playing well enough to keep the job. He is very popular in the locker room and Shanahan would be playing with fire if he benched Jimmy for any other reason then consistently terrible play, a lesson that Jim Harbaugh had to learn the hard way. So far consistently bad play hasn't been Jimmy's MO . He'll throw the occasional head scratcher but he has also shown he can really ball out and I suspect when all is said and done that, for the moment at least, he is the guy who will give them the best chance to win. If things go south and the team falls out of contention then I suspect Lance might see more opportunities. Time will tell I guess. Go Niners!

Excellent post.

The bold - they went out and did just that and have an improved QB room, thankfully.
To OTC, I don't think they cut either Hurst or Pruitt, both seem like locks, Hurst did get some GTD money, but Pruitt, he got $637,500 of his $987,500 GTD. I'd also put Sherfield on the 53, I think he surprises people. Also I'm against Dontae Johnson.

Also, with the PS factored in, this roster leaves us with $4,578,473 in cap room.

To GEEK, I don't know if you keep both Wilson & Jefferson also, you'd guarantee both of their salaries, same as Johnson. As for Zettel, his deal would be GTD if he makes it, no to Yarbrough though, only 2yrs accrued.

Here's my new update, https://49erscap.com/index.php/2021/07/28/updated-49ers-53-man-roster-projection-plus-injured-lists-practice-squad-10-0/

Checked out your website AB. Excellent work. 100% agreement with Defensive roster. Two areas on the Offensive roster that I question.

1. Might they only carry 2 QBs on the 53? I can't imagine Sudfeld or Rosen not making the practice squad. Maybe leave room for another O-lineman, maybe bring back Ben Garland to be the back up center freeing Brunskill to be the swing tackle. Even if Brunskill becomes the future center, I think he is the best option at Swing Tackle right now.

2. You think they part ways with Richey James? Jennings could probably make PS if they want Sanu on the roster.
we are the best roster in the NFC
Share 49ersWebzone