LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

RB Elijah Mitchell Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Mitchell shouldnt be a bellcow back. Gave him too many carries. This isnt a fluke he has slowly been breaking down.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hubbyt:
Mitchell shouldnt be a bellcow back. Gave him too many carries. This isnt a fluke he has slowly been breaking down.

He isn't a big guy - he's going to eventually break down.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Big, small--all RBs breakdown. It's one of the most punishing positions in football. But yeah, I agree that Mitchell ain't that big and ain't going to last long.

It's a shame they wasted a 3rd-round pick on a RB who sucked ass in camp such that the team had no faith in him to help alleviate some of the load from Mitchell from the jump.
Originally posted by Heroism:

Big, small--all RBs breakdown. It's one of the most punishing positions in football. But yeah, I agree that Mitchell ain't that big and ain't going to last long.

It's a shame they wasted a 3rd-round pick on a RB who sucked ass in camp such that the team had no faith in him to help alleviate some of the load from Mitchell from the jump.

An absolute shame and I wish I knew who made that pick and why. Just awful
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Lol knee irritation unreal.

The two 49ers players who suffered head injuries on Sunday—running backs Elijah Mitchell and Trenton Cannon—won't practice. They remain in the concussion protocol. Shanahan revealed that Mitchell is also dealing with a knee injury.

"I think they're calling it a knee irritation right now," Shanahan said. "We didn't have the imaging back when I talked to you guys [on Monday] but it's some stuff that makes him day-to-day."

Welp, at least they are getting creative with their terminology. When Wilson left after one carry, what did they call that? Temporary knee twinge?

Now, don't get Hasty here.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
It's really too bad - if he tries to bulk up, he's going to lose his speed.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran

he also shows how he slows down after the 3rd QTR... we need a partner for this guy.. he wont be very effective if he runs the ball 25x per game..
Tbh we would be wise to draft another RB next year. He's never going to last and cannot be a premiere back.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Tbh we would be wise to draft another RB next year. He's never going to last and cannot be a premiere back.

Hopefully, Sermon will be a factor next year.

So what's the official reason he won't play? Concussion? Knee? Both?
5 injuries in just how many games? Kid is tough as nails but he's a 49er now so...
Part of the problem is Shanahan should have used Sermon more. When he did get to play he had better numbers than Wilson and Hasty. Shanahan just seems to put guys in a catagory and nothing changes his mind.
That's the thing with Kyle, if you have the hot hand he'll run you to the ground. Look at Mostert in 19' when he caught fire against Baltimore. Kyle made him the feature back and luckily for us he stayed healthy that year
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
That's the thing with Kyle, if you have the hot hand he'll run you to the ground. Look at Mostert in 19' when he caught fire against Baltimore. Kyle made him the feature back and luckily for us he stayed healthy that year

The zone read that Kyle runs also allows for the back to get up to a very high speed before contact is made, as opposed to some more tradition running games.
Faster backs are obviously the best fit for his offense and most of those guys are smaller.

This is honestly a testament to how good the scheme is but a reason we run through so many backs.
Share 49ersWebzone