There are 231 users in the forums

Ambry Thomas, CB - Michigan, 3rd Round Pick

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I think he's gonna become a fan favorite very soon. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he beats out Moseley for the starting spot.

He certainly has more tools than Moseley. I hope he's ready to compete this year.

Yeah Moseley is inconsistent and got roasted far too many games. Just last year D hop destroyed him right off the bat and a lot of wrs just embarrassed him. I like him as our top backup not our #2 cb.

Ya that Hopkins game was just brutal. I don't trust him as a full time starter. Hopefully one of the rookies steps up.

DK almost put up 200 yards against him too in the first Seattle games as well
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by 91til:
Originally posted by DimezandDots:
Originally posted by Howlett49:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I hate this rule. so stupid !!!

I was hoping AMB will be wearing Eric Wright's #21 !!

Ok I'll bite, why is it stupid? It allows players to have freedom to choose what number they want, and not be restricted to a certain number range, like WR, RB, TE, LB, DB can go anywhere from 1-49, now all OL can wear 50-59, it was only for Centers, now DL can choose 50-59, it used to be just 90-99. It's a great rule.

As for 21? No, that's Gore's number to me, the only 3 numbers I wouldn't give out that aren't retired are 21(Gore), 52(Willis), and 74(Staley)

Moon is stuck in the 80s
Didn't Deion Sanders wear number 21 with the 49ers? XD

21 should never be Gores !!

Do you know what Eric Wright did for the 49ers ???

He became our best CB after 2 years of being in the shadow of Ronnie Lott..

TELL me I'm wrong... tell me !!

Eric Wright was great but he was injury prone. If he were a Niner today he'd be crucified on this board. But we know he made arguably the most clutch defensive play in franchise history. He's franchise royalty to me like DC because of what he did to preserve "The Catch".

https://49ershistory.wordpress.com/2008/09/29/drew-pearson-and-the-1981-nfc-championship-game/

But of course it can and will be retired in Gore's honor sometime before he makes it to Canton.

I don't remember him being injury prone until his last 2 years.. but that was only groin...

and if he was a 49er today, i can believe that he may be crucified by you guys and that's only because today's D aren't allow to play ROUGH !!

TODAY'S GAME IS BASICALLY FLAGLESS COMPETITION...

It was actually years 6 and 7 that Wright had that groin pull. His first 5 years were great and he started most and played in all the games. He played 3 more years after recovering from the groin pull but he wasn't ever the same. He was an exceptional cover man and a better tackler than Sanders. That defensive backfield of Lott, Wright, Hicks and Williamson was the best in Niner history as far as I'm concerned. The could cover and hit like a freight train.
Originally posted by genus49:
I think he's gonna become a fan favorite very soon. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he beats out Moseley for the starting spot.

He certainly has more tools than Moseley. I hope he's ready to compete this year.

Yeah Moseley is inconsistent and got roasted far too many games. Just last year D hop destroyed him right off the bat and a lot of wrs just embarrassed him. I like him as our top backup not our #2 cb.

Ya that Hopkins game was just brutal. I don't trust him as a full time starter. Hopefully one of the rookies steps up.

Hopkins is a tough matchup for any corner. We thinking Thomas locks him up? Moseley knows the defense and guys do develop with more time.

I'm certainly not rooting against Thomas and it would be very impressive if he's good enough to beat Moseley but I'd be pretty surprised to see it happen at least in camp.

I agree Gore.

Genus.....it wasn't just Hopkins. It was a lot of wrs that torched him. He was even benched/lost playing time to Witherspoon and even Donte f**king Johnson. If you're our sure #2 cb you do not come off the field for either one of those 2. Ever.

I hope Verrett stays healthy or else we are in a world of hurt against the qbs we play this year. The pass rush better be something
Originally posted by genus49:

Hopkins is a tough matchup for any corner. We thinking Thomas locks him up? Moseley knows the defense and guys do develop with more time.

I'm certainly not rooting against Thomas and it would be very impressive if he's good enough to beat Moseley but I'd be pretty surprised to see it happen at least in camp.

I agree Gore.

Genus.....it wasn't just Hopkins. It was a lot of wrs that torched him. He was even benched/lost playing time to Witherspoon and even Donte f**king Johnson. If you're our sure #2 cb you do not come off the field for either one of those 2. Ever.

I hope Verrett stays healthy or else we are in a world of hurt against the qbs we play this year. The pass rush better be something

I'm not saying I don't have my concerns with Moseley, just saying I'd be surprised if the rookie takes his job at this point.

Getting the pass rush to do their job and do it well will help whoever is back there. Moseley has been in the defense for a while I think he can clean things up but competition will help everyone.
One good thing about Sherman being gone is that JV will travel. Moseley was picked on badly several times last year. But with Sherman there was nothing we could do b/c he only plays one side of the field.
I'm stoked for this dude and Lemonaide his rookie compadre... lots to watch in the preseason games
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
I'm stoked for this dude and Lemonaide his rookie compadre... lots to watch in the preseason games

Normally I watch preseason just for the starters, but this year, I want to see Ambry, Lenoir, Hufanga, Banks, Moore, Mitchell, Sermon, and Lance play, I want to see the guys fighting for the those last 5-7 roster spots.
One of the webzone detectives has to have an update about how he's looked so far
  • 91til
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
One of the webzone detectives has to have an update about how he's looked so far

saw somewhere he played first team CB across from Verrett today or yesterday with Harris and Moseley out
On Thursday or Friday he was getting beat quite a bit. Today he wasn't targeted so that's a really good thing bc Verrett is pretty lockdown so our qb would be looking his way more. I'm sure when the pads go on we will have a better idea of where's at.

On Thursday or Friday he was getting beat quite a bit. Today he wasn't targeted so that's a really good thing bc Verrett is pretty lockdown so our qb would be looking his way more. I'm sure when the pads go on we will have a better idea of where's at.

Yea I'm thinking with pads coming on we here some reports about all defenders. Really haven't seen much about any of them unless it was a interception.
My friend has attended some of the recent practices and he said Ambry is looking much improved and getting far more physical since the pads have come on. His eyes get him in trouble at times but when asked to play press coverage, he covers very well.

Didn't allow a catch today according to Cohn, so the arrow is going up apparently!
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
My friend has attended some of the recent practices and he said Ambry is looking much improved and getting far more physical since the pads have come on. His eyes get him in trouble at times but when asked to play press coverage, he covers very well.

Didn't allow a catch today according to Cohn, so the arrow is going up apparently!

Good to hear! If they hit on either Ambry or Lennoire it would be huge for our secondary.
This is why, amongst other things, you can't take grant seriously . Yesterday was talking about how awful Thomas is and has been. Then this today lol

1. Cornerback Ambry Thomas.

Hasn't given up a catch since early in camp. Today, he won all three of his reps during 1 on 1s. First, he broke up a pass intended for Deebo Samuel running a curl route. Next, Thomas broke up a pass intended for Jauan Jennings running an out route. And finally, Thomas knocked down a pass intended for Samuel running a slant. Thomas is beginning to look like a quality player and the second-best corner on the roster behind Jason Verrett. It's time for the 49ers to promote Thomas to the first-string defense. Has has earned it, and they need him.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
This is why, amongst other things, you can't take grant seriously . Yesterday was talking about how awful Thomas is and has been. Then this today lol

1. Cornerback Ambry Thomas.

Hasn't given up a catch since early in camp. Today, he won all three of his reps during 1 on 1s. First, he broke up a pass intended for Deebo Samuel running a curl route. Next, Thomas broke up a pass intended for Jauan Jennings running an out route. And finally, Thomas knocked down a pass intended for Samuel running a slant. Thomas is beginning to look like a quality player and the second-best corner on the roster behind Jason Verrett. It's time for the 49ers to promote Thomas to the first-string defense. Has has earned it, and they need him.

Is it possible for guys to start off bad then improve. Especially rookies. Cohn seems to be in line with what cullyinthehouse says in his post. Thomas has improved and looks better with the pads on.
Share 49ersWebzone