There are 202 users in the forums

Ambry Thomas, CB - Michigan, 3rd Round Pick

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ambry looked pretty good towards the end of his rookie season. Helped us close out the W to get into the playoffs vs the Rams. Last year was obviously disappointing for him but hopefully he comes back and ready to battle like Lenoir did after getting demoted.

But at this point being a 3rd round pick means sh*t being it was 2 years ago. If he doesn't come ready to play he'll be an easy cut and not many will miss him.
I don't see him making the roster unless we simply need the bodies
Originally posted by lamontb:

Same here, sadly he's proven to be a bust thus far, he needs a strong offseason and preseason to make it IMO, only way he makes it is like you said we need bodies, like if we keep 6 CBs.
He's got talent/skills but it could be a mental barrier with him.

Can Wilks do something with him and other DBs with potential like Kocurek does with dlinemen? We're gonna find out.
What's his primary skill set? Maybe it matches what Wilks like from his CB's.
Originally posted by pillageDatazz:
He's got talent/skills but it could be a mental barrier with him.

Can Wilks do something with him and other DBs with potential like Kocurek does with dlinemen? We're gonna find out.

Agree. Mental game-hope it hasn't been destroyed. If Wilks can't rebuild him likely gone unless injuries set in. Still, needs to man up.
  • thl408
Originally posted by NCommand:
What's his primary skill set? Maybe it matches what Wilks like from his CB's.

Supposedly man coverage. He has a prototypical build so he wasn't getting it done with length and size, but with technique and athletics (in college). I remember Lynch saying "this is an Adams Peters pick" when Ambry was drafted. I thought that was kind of a bad thing to say. As if Lynch was implying, if Ambry sucks, not my fault.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Agree. Mental game-hope it hasn't been destroyed. If Wilks can't rebuild him likely gone unless injuries set in. Still, needs to man up.

Not really sure what happened (confidence, injury, slump) but I'd like to see him compete at a high level. We need more playmakers.
Did he play more press outside in college?

Yes. That's pretty much all he played. Had the same issues though. He tends to be in great position most of the time but he just has really bad ball skills. Doesn't turn and track the ball. Instead he'll just run right through the defender and draw the flag. And when he's beat he'll grab a jersey. I can see them liking his skill set but he's never shown any consistency.

Yes. That's pretty much all he played. Had the same issues though. He tends to be in great position most of the time but he just has really bad ball skills. Doesn't turn and track the ball. Instead he'll just run right through the defender and draw the flag. And when he's beat he'll grab a jersey. I can see them liking his skill set but he's never shown any consistency.

Thanks dude and that is a fair take on his issues too. You can play great press all day but if you can't time it and play the ball, you're screwed.

He should have been cut last year!
Apparently this guy has what it takes to be a good CB but he just gets "out muscled" by strong receivers
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pillageDatazz:
Apparently this guy has what it takes to be a good CB but he just gets "out muscled" by strong receivers

it's not just that, when the coaching staff loses interest, basically, it's OVAH !!
Originally posted by 9moon:
it's not just that, when the coaching staff loses interest, basically, it's OVAH !!

I'd hate for him or any of our guys to get better on another team, especially a rival
Share 49ersWebzone