LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

Aaron Banks "The Dancing Bear", OG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by WolfTotem:
Originally posted by tankle104:
I thought we had McG for two more years? Didnt we just pick up his fifth? I thought you had to do that before the fourth year starts?

You do, and we did. 5th year is also now fully guaranteed I think. Not just for injury.

Yep however we can still trade him and get the contract off of our books ala Buckner. That's fully dependent if McKivitz can outperform McGlinchey.

But ideally McGlinchey bounces back and we have a strong OL unit with tons of depth.

I think the latter is more likely. I also don't think MM will be in that situation. Buck is like the number 2 DT in the league. If he were more around MM's level for DTs, that's am easy extension.
What's crazy to me is how good Brunskill played at T 2 years ago, yet we're pushing him inside to G or C. I would like MM to improve his pass protection, but if he can't we either deal with what he is, or we replace him with someone who is a better pass protector, but most likely less of a run blocker. I personally would put Banks at LG, and slide Tomlinson over to RG, this way Jimmy knows that his blind side is protected with Williams+Banks and Mack up the middle, so Jimmy can see the pressure in front of him from the right side. Leaving Tomlinson at LG leaves a bad pass protector there, and at RT, now Jimmy has to be scared from both sides.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Don't be surprised if he's not starting week 1. McKivivtz and Brunskill can hold it down for the start of the year.

God I hope not!

Brun def can hold it down. We are good. Just need Mcglinch to play great in his contract year

I thought we had McG for two more years? Didnt we just pick up his fifth? I thought you had to do that before the fourth year starts?

Yes the 49ers exercised MM's 5th yr option, it's fully GTD at $10.808M for 2022.
I always roll my eyes at oline picks but I know deep down it's much needed but if he's not the opening day starter at RG it'll be a MASSIVE disappointment
The more I watch and read, the more I like...banks just makes everyone better around him. I feel like McG will improve next to Banks. He isn't an Uber athlete but has no problem running WZ overall. His PP alone makes this team better.

originally it was a head scratcher for me, but damn I actually love this pick now.
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
What's crazy to me is how good Brunskill played at T 2 years ago, yet we're pushing him inside to G or C. I would like MM to improve his pass protection, but if he can't we either deal with what he is, or we replace him with someone who is a better pass protector, but most likely less of a run blocker. I personally would put Banks at LG, and slide Tomlinson over to RG, this way Jimmy knows that his blind side is protected with Williams+Banks and Mack up the middle, so Jimmy can see the pressure in front of him from the right side. Leaving Tomlinson at LG leaves a bad pass protector there, and at RT, now Jimmy has to be scared from both sides.

I wouldn't mess with it. Let Tomlinson stay st LG and see if a 2nd year with Silverback and the addition of Mack help hide his PP deficiencies. Moore may be his replacement a year or 2 from now. I would put Banks at RG myself, next to Mike who he's got some familiarity with. I'm hoping we see 69 improve his PP too this year.
I don't see any scenario where Banks is not the starting RG other than some ugly injury, very unlikely since this is a very durable player.
His competition is Tom Compton and Mckivitz. Compton is trash and Mckivitz is an OT.
Brunskill is just an ok G he is a much better T. His best role is to be the swing tackle and get rid of Coleman.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
The more I watch and read, the more I like...banks just makes everyone better around him. I feel like McG will improve next to Banks. He isn't an Uber athlete but has no problem running WZ overall. His PP alone makes this team better.

originally it was a head scratcher for me, but damn I actually love this pick now.

Only critique I have on him would be I didn't see him finishing guys much. The pancake department lacks for someone his size. But dude is just a solid solid prospect without much weaknesses. In pass sets, he locks on and I don't recall seeing any missed assignments in the run game. He is slower though and would much better fit a power scheme, but I did see ND run zone as well and he was fine. Going to be really interesting seeing him develop and how he fits in this offense. Freaking love it, I think this dude locks up a Guard spot with us for a long time.
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
I don't see any scenario where Banks is not the starting RG other than some ugly injury, very unlikely since this is a very durable player.
His competition is Tom Compton and Mckivitz. Compton is trash and Mckivitz is an OT.
Brunskill is just an ok G he is a much better T. His best role is to be the swing tackle and get rid of Coleman.

Totally agree with 100% of this

He has great feet and can scoop block like an absolute beast which is really critical for all the misdirection based stuff. He will frustrate a lot of good players I think.

• evil
  • Veteran

That's saying something...as a team, didn't they run a ton too?

He looked like he had lost some lbs too since the end of the season. I would imagine we want him around 315.

ND were pretty balanced (almost 50/50) in 2019. This past year though they averaged 30.2 pass attempts per game and 42.1 rush attempts per game. So yeah pretty run heavy
Originally posted by evil:

That's saying something...as a team, didn't they run a ton too?

He looked like he had lost some lbs too since the end of the season. I would imagine we want him around 315.

ND were pretty balanced (almost 50/50) in 2019. This past year though they averaged 30.2 pass attempts per game and 42.1 rush attempts per game. So yeah pretty run heavy

Nice! TY.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

This explains the dancing bear footwork
Share 49ersWebzone