LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by mayo49:
What's the deal with Shanny - first he says there's going to be a Qb competition, now he says that there's no competition and that Jimmy is the starter and Trey is the back up?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31899639/kyle-shanahan-makes-clear-san-francisco-49ers-open-camp-there-no-open-competition-right-now-no-1-quarterback

Fans need to learn how Coach/GM talk works.

Right now there is no competition. Camp technically didn't even start yet. There is most certainly a competition but it may not be a wide open one. Lance will have to show what he can do and force their hand. It's up to Jimmy to keep playing well and give the coaches no reason to pull him.

We'll see what happens.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by mojave45:
Why on earth would he accept a restructure ? His heir apparent is in the room. There is zero reason for him to agree at this point. I would keep every penny the team agreed to. You truly expect a player to say, sure cut my pay so you can have more money for, FA after I am gone? 😂

Why? Because there isn't a single team in the NFL that would pay him anything close to what he's getting paid currently. No team is gonna pay him $12-$15M at this pt in the off season. Everyone has their QB room and no one has that money either. It's almost august.

you say take a pay cut or get cut…good luck getting anything close to what they would offer…he also gets a yr removed from his deal so he can become a FA in 2022 instead of being traded to the highest binder, he doesn't have a no-trade clause in 2022. He gets to compete to be a starter on a SB roster…he's not getting that anywhere else at this pt. He should be worried about his next contract imo

Hell throw in some incentives for playing time, pro-bowl, stats etc. in no world should he be the 5th highest player in football. He doesn't have leverage at all.

lol you make it sound so simple.

Where is our leverage? Say he says cut me. We're willing to roll with Lance and Rosen? We're willing to give up any chance to get anything by trading Jimmy later on? We're willing to risk creating issues in the locker room? There are plenty of guys on one year deals who signed it knowing at the very least we had a guy who they know how he works at QB.

There have been plenty of people who reported Jimmy has looked his best in OTAs, not just Kyle fluffing him up. Players and beat guys have said it.

So we cut him when he's looking his best because of money we don't need right now? We have the 8th most cap space in the NFL right now. You think us cutting a proven winning QB won't ruffle some feathers in the locker room?

Now maybe if you approach it and give him those incentives and try not to play hard ball with him and just speak to him professionally....MAYBE he'll think of the guys he's grown close to on the roster and be willing to work with us. But once again first we have to see if he's even going to be the backup this year.

Let's not forget Mahomes with all his talent didn't come in and blow away Alex Smith year 1. I understand we're all excited for Trey but let's at least see where both QBs are before we worry about taking away Jimmy's money.
Originally posted by genus49:
Fans need to learn how Coach/GM talk works.

Right now there is no competition. Camp technically didn't even start yet. There is most certainly a competition but it may not be a wide open one. Lance will have to show what he can do and force their hand. It's up to Jimmy to keep playing well and give the coaches no reason to pull him.

We'll see what happens.

IDK where "keep playing well" comes from,....but you don't want a rookie coming in feeling entitled, do you? Otherwise, history can kind of repeat itself when it comes to getting better for the next season.

Everyone here wants all of our rookies challenged to move up the depth chart on a yearly basis, I'd imagine.
[ Edited by random49er on Jul 28, 2021 at 6:30 AM ]
lol you make it sound so simple.

Where is our leverage? Say he says cut me. We're willing to roll with Lance and Rosen? We're willing to give up any chance to get anything by trading Jimmy later on? We're willing to risk creating issues in the locker room? There are plenty of guys on one year deals who signed it knowing at the very least we had a guy who they know how he works at QB.

There have been plenty of people who reported Jimmy has looked his best in OTAs, not just Kyle fluffing him up. Players and beat guys have said it.

So we cut him when he's looking his best because of money we don't need right now? We have the 8th most cap space in the NFL right now. You think us cutting a proven winning QB won't ruffle some feathers in the locker room?

Now maybe if you approach it and give him those incentives and try not to play hard ball with him and just speak to him professionally....MAYBE he'll think of the guys he's grown close to on the roster and be willing to work with us. But once again first we have to see if he's even going to be the backup this year.

Let's not forget Mahomes with all his talent didn't come in and blow away Alex Smith year 1. I understand we're all excited for Trey but let's at least see where both QBs are before we worry about taking away Jimmy's money.

I would say okay bye and good luck getting anything remotely close to what SF would still pay you, a chance to start on a SB roster which would also help you in the open market in 2022. Do people not realize that he would still be top 12 paid if you gave him a 1yr $12M deal this yr? He'd be making more than Tannehill, Brady, and Mahomes this yr Like I said throw some incentives in there whatever.

At this point his leverage is minimal.

If he still says no, would then try to get Mishew by swapping some day 3 picks with the Jags. Maybe Case Keenum who's run this scheme. Whatever it's Lance's team now anyway. You've made the commitment to him when you gave up years of 1sts.

The athletic just did their annual QB rankings where a bunch of GMs, HCs, QB coaches etc rank guys (how they feel about them), gives you a gauge on guys. Jimmy is in tier 3 and the 21st ranked QB in that. His market isn't what every 49er fan thinks it is.

We actually will not have the 8th most cap space once we sign our QB. Again I would rather have $41.4M in extra cash vs $25.6M for 2021 and beyond. Why do you care so much about Jimmy making a ton of money anyway? It's about the team, not him. Why do people think the locker room is so soft with all this? It's a business...if they ALL see Lance doing his thing in TC then they will realize he's the guy. This isn't pop warner, it's the NFL. There's hard truths all the damn time. They ALL want to get paid, can't do that when you're paying a tier 3 QB top 5 money.

We all talk about how Jimmy will get hurt at some point, so let's just pay him $27M just cause?

I really don't care about Mahomes and his situation...Alex Smith was not making the 5th most amount of money in the league at that time either.

It also has nothing to do with Lance and being excited about him...it's about being finically responsible with the team. It's about the future of the team.
Are we expected to sign him today? It's only Lance and pretty boy left to sign.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

huh?

huh?

I think he means Zach Wilson
I would say okay bye and good luck getting anything remotely close to what SF would still pay you, a chance to start on a SB roster which would also help you in the open market in 2022. Do people not realize that he would still be top 12 paid if you gave him a 1yr $12M deal this yr? He'd be making more than Tannehill, Brady, and Mahomes this yr Like I said throw some incentives in there whatever.

At this point his leverage is minimal.

If he still says no, would then try to get Mishew by swapping some day 3 picks with the Jags. Maybe Case Keenum who's run this scheme. Whatever it's Lance's team now anyway. You've made the commitment to him when you gave up years of 1sts.

The athletic just did their annual QB rankings where a bunch of GMs, HCs, QB coaches etc rank guys (how they feel about them), gives you a gauge on guys. Jimmy is in tier 3 and the 21st ranked QB in that. His market isn't what every 49er fan thinks it is.

We actually will not have the 8th most cap space once we sign our QB. Again I would rather have $41.4M in extra cash vs $25.6M for 2021 and beyond. Why do you care so much about Jimmy making a ton of money anyway? It's about the team, not him. Why do people think the locker room is so soft with all this? It's a business...if they ALL see Lance doing his thing in TC then they will realize he's the guy. This isn't pop warner, it's the NFL. There's hard truths all the damn time. They ALL want to get paid, can't do that when you're paying a tier 3 QB top 5 money.

We all talk about how Jimmy will get hurt at some point, so let's just pay him $27M just cause?

I really don't care about Mahomes and his situation...Alex Smith was not making the 5th most amount of money in the league at that time either.

It also has nothing to do with Lance and being excited about him...it's about being finically responsible with the team. It's about the future of the team.

Was that a question for me or yourself lol? I'd love to Jimmy to take a paycut..as I would any player.

All I'm saying is it's not as easy as you make it sound. There are other facts at play and the team may simply not feel rocking the boat is worth POSSIBLY getting him to take less. They have to weigh their options. It's easy for you to sit here and say this and that because you don't have to deal with the fallout.

The 49ers know what they're doing. If they feel there is a move there to make they will make it. You're making this big deal about a scenario that may not even come to pass. if Jimmy looks great in camp/pre-season and Lance doesn't show enough to win the starting job are you still going to Jimmy about a pay cut?

I guess you might...but we'll see what the 49ers end up doing. There is also the fact that you're showing other players that the franchise will push you to take a paycut if they're ready to replace you. Is that a great look in contract situations when players can start to hold out and claim "well you don't honor your contracts when it suits you, why should I?"

Not as simple as you make it.

The issue is Wilson hasn't signed yet. Former CAA rep (they rep Lance), I'm guessing Wilson's rep doesn't want his deal to be worse then Lance's

The issue is Wilson hasn't signed yet. Former CAA rep (they rep Lance), I'm guessing Wilson's rep doesn't want his deal to be worse then Lance's

Damn lawyers. And yes pretty boy is Wilson.
[ Edited by Cisco0623 on Jul 28, 2021 at 6:57 AM ]

Can't really be that worse. Might be the Jets or 49ers pushing back?
Was that a question for me or yourself lol? I'd love to Jimmy to take a paycut..as I would any player.

All I'm saying is it's not as easy as you make it sound. There are other facts at play and the team may simply not feel rocking the boat is worth POSSIBLY getting him to take less. They have to weigh their options. It's easy for you to sit here and say this and that because you don't have to deal with the fallout.

The 49ers know what they're doing. If they feel there is a move there to make they will make it. You're making this big deal about a scenario that may not even come to pass. if Jimmy looks great in camp/pre-season and Lance doesn't show enough to win the starting job are you still going to Jimmy about a pay cut?

I guess you might...but we'll see what the 49ers end up doing. There is also the fact that you're showing other players that the franchise will push you to take a paycut if they're ready to replace you. Is that a great look in contract situations when players can start to hold out and claim "well you don't honor your contracts when it suits you, why should I?"

Not as simple as you make it.

I'm saying if they're a couple weeks into TC and it's clear Lance is gonna play at some pt this yr, they should absolutely discuss a pay cut. I never said before that.

At that pt & where we're at in the season, JG simply does not have the leverage to say no.

Dude players aren't that soft, it's a business and you're constantly fighting for your spot and cash. Jimmy GOT his GTD cash after 5 games lol. his career earnings before the season starts is around $90M for 32 starts.

Th team already showed their cards with him, he's not the guy anymore.

pretty sure they asked Ford to take a pay cut….I don't see the locker room having a fit over it.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 28, 2021 at 7:22 AM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Can't really be that worse. Might be the Jets or 49ers pushing back?

Jets I'm assuming
Originally posted by Alfienator:

huh?

I think he means Zach Wilson

17 min before practice…
Share 49ersWebzone