LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 281 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
I'm sure Kyle wants to get Trey in there as soon as possible but he can't afford to make the move too soon. You don't want to hurt the teams chances but you don't want to hurt Trey's confidence either. Trey isn't a 3 or 4 year starter with a lot of college games under his belt. Trevor Lawrence who was isn't tearing it up in his 1st two games. neither is Wilson who threw 4 INTs against the Patriots. It's better to wait and be sure that he's ready physically and mentally. Jimmy's playing okay for now so there's no reason to rush him in.

Besides, with they way guys get injured, waiting could bring a better draft pick if and when they decide to trade Jimmy. Some other team that's in contention may lose their QB about the time Kyle thinks Trey is ready.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RedGoldSquatch:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Silky:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by BYisGod:
Just let things play out - Jimmy will have a couple of lousy games paving the way to Trey taking over.

A terrible take. Glad you're rooting for the team to perform
poorly.

No, I'm rooting for the best QB to be playing.

But he is. lol

Jimmy is not better than Trey - he's just the incumbent.

So you think Kyle is actively playing the worse QB? Why does he want a challenge? Or maybe he knows something we don't? Like how his offense works and how both QBs can run the offense?

Yes, he's playing the guy he promised would start. There was no competition for the position between him and Trey.

I like your takes most of the time mayo, but this is just delusion. Jimmy played really good week 1, and serviceable week 2. He did enough to win. That was a good Eagles D. I expect good Jimmy to come back against GB. Kyle is playing the best QB right now.

I think he can do just as good as Jimmy is doing right now. Jimmy isn't tearing it up right now, he isn't this all everything QB, but for right now he has the keys.

I can respect that. Would you be willing to admit that Trey has a lack of experience? That was a losable game against the Eagles. Jimmy kept his cool. He could have folded. That's what I want to see from Trey (when he starts). I want to see what kind of composure he has when things are not going our way. That's my only argument as to why I do not think Trey would have done as well this past Sunday. That was a crazy environment. Experience mattered in this game.

Yeah, he does lack experience, he hasn't played in a couple of years. But, I think he's a quick study and will make up for lost time.

Question is, are you willing to lose a few games we would have won for him to get that experience? I think Lance is better than Jimmy G.... Long term. But I could see him dropping a few games Jimmy would win THIS YEAR.

Agree.
Just let things play out - Jimmy will have a couple of lousy games paving the way to Trey taking over.

poorly.

But he is. lol

So you think Kyle is actively playing the worse QB? Why does he want a challenge? Or maybe he knows something we don't? Like how his offense works and how both QBs can run the offense?

Yes, he's playing the guy he promised would start. There was no competition for the position between him and Trey.

I like your takes most of the time mayo, but this is just delusion. Jimmy played really good week 1, and serviceable week 2. He did enough to win. That was a good Eagles D. I expect good Jimmy to come back against GB. Kyle is playing the best QB right now.

I think he can do just as good as Jimmy is doing right now. Jimmy isn't tearing it up right now, he isn't this all everything QB, but for right now he has the keys.

I think Kyle will start him the minute he thinks he gives the team as good of a chance to win week in and week out as JG.
Originally posted by RedGoldSquatch:

poorly.

But he is. lol

I can respect that. Would you be willing to admit that Trey has a lack of experience? That was a losable game against the Eagles. Jimmy kept his cool. He could have folded. That's what I want to see from Trey (when he starts). I want to see what kind of composure he has when things are not going our way. That's my only argument as to why I do not think Trey would have done as well this past Sunday. That was a crazy environment. Experience mattered in this game.

Yeah, he does lack experience, he hasn't played in a couple of years. But, I think he's a quick study and will make up for lost time.

Question is, are you willing to lose a few games we would have won for him to get that experience? I think Lance is better than Jimmy G.... Long term. But I could see him dropping a few games Jimmy would win THIS YEAR.

Agree, IMO Kyle doesn't want to lose anymore.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Agree, IMO Kyle doesn't want to lose anymore.

Of course not.

But by and large, Jimmy G starting hasn't been the issue for his sub-.500 record with the 49ers (still under by 4 games).
  • All22
  • Veteran
For the next year or two, it's best to view Lance as our Taysom Hill and Jimmy as our (aging) Drew Brees.
We have a two QB system not a QB competition.
Originally posted by All22:
For the next year or two, it's best to view Lance as our Taysom Hill and Jimmy as our (aging) Drew Brees.

Yr or two? Nah I disagree…unless Jimmy wins a SB or is MVP the chances of him being on this roster next yr are pretty slim and even then I wouldn't be shocked if they traded him while his value is that high.

You can't burn 3 yrs of 1sts and a 3rd for a kid to not play football for what would be over 3 yrs….people gotta realize he's got to play football to get better and they actually need that cap space to build up the roster (with zero 1sts for yrs)
Week #3 will more than likely be Trey's coming out party. Jimmy will start but with the RB situation the way it is, if we can't run and if the backs struggle with the pick ups during the passing game Trey will come in to dominate ala Colin Kaepernick style. We know GB defense is suspect its just about finding the best way to attack..... Needless to say if Jimmy finds a way to execute despite inhibitors to the running game then he'll stay in but that string is probably much shorter this week.
Originally posted by dhp318:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
No you put the kid that you're pretty much tying your career to out there to improve and develop.

having a QB you spent 3 1st on not play any NFL games let alone any meaningful games since 2019

It's a sunk cost. If he can't even cut it in practice, there's no way you give away a starting caliber QB.

Sunk cost without even playing him lol yeah okay. If it's a sunk cost the whole FO and coaching staff will be fired plain and simple.

unless Jimmy turns into an elite QB (which is highly unlikely) you absolutely start your young prospect no later than 2022 and let him develop, that's the whole damn point of drafting a QB…no one including the coaching staff should expect him to come in and be a MVP caliber QB out the gate. They picked a kid that hasn't played football, thus KNOWING he actually has to play football to get better. Fans need to accept and expect that and be fine with the bumps in the road because there will be.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Sep 21, 2021 at 10:08 AM ]

Yr or two? Nah I disagree…unless Jimmy wins a SB or is MVP the chances of him being on this roster next yr are pretty slim and even then I wouldn't be shocked if they traded him while his value is that high.

You can't burn 3 yrs of 1sts and a 3rd for a kid to not play football for what would be over 3 yrs….people gotta realize he's got to play football to get better and they actually need that cap space to build up the roster (with zero 1sts for yrs)

That would seem like a good idea If JG was as good as Brees, or It wasn't for the fact that we gave up so much to draft Lance to begin with.

Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
If we're judging QBs by practice then Jimmy wouldn't be the starter.

oh you were at the practice?

Dude has been awful practice QB since his NE days. This isn't a new thing…remember when Jimmy literally threw five Consecutive INTs at practice? You have to try to do that, yet they didn't say he wasn't good enough to play after that.

it will be up to Kyle still though.. you think Kyle will throw Lance out there if Kyle still doesn't think he's ready ?

My feeling says yes you do it.. but Kyle is tough to figure out sometimes
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Sep 21, 2021 at 10:11 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The moment Lance appears to be outplaying Garoppolo in practice, he'll get to play over him in the actual games. Only thing worse than not playing Lance is throwing him out there before he's resting and having him cost you games and screwing over the entire team as a result.

Outplaying in what practice? It's the season there isn't outperforming QBs in a mid-season practices at this point. It's all about film study, recovery, and weekly game planning. They're not gonna bench Jimmy because of a bad Wednesday practice lol.

when you draft a QB high let alone give up the farm, you should expect bumps in the road and a guy to not be some stud…ya'll want him to "develop" but don't want him to play which is counterproductive imo. Can't have your cake and eat it too
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The moment Lance appears to be outplaying Garoppolo in practice, he'll get to play over him in the actual games. Only thing worse than not playing Lance is throwing him out there before he's resting and having him cost you games and screwing over the entire team as a result.

Outplaying in what practice? It's the season there isn't outperforming QBs in a mid-season practices at this point. It's all about film study, recovery, and weekly game planning. They're not gonna bench Jimmy because of a bad Wednesday practice lol.

when you draft a QB high let alone give up the farm, you should expect bumps in the road and a guy to not be some stud…ya'll want him to "develop" but don't want him to play which is counterproductive imo. Can't have your cake and eat it too

Kyle isn't going to trade wins for development.
  • thl408
Perhaps one reason Lance got no reps vs PHI is because the PHI defense is very familiar with the zone read and all its variations since Hurts runs it in practice. That and the hostile crowd, with it being a very tight game vs a good DL.
Share 49ersWebzone