LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NYniner85:
He doesn't practice anyway he's the backup lol. Do people still not understand how it works? Someone else get's to be the scout QB oh well.

Being the scout qb is practice. He is playing against the first team defense. Reading reacting and through the ball. Is he getting reps in his offense with his wr no but it is still valuable work.

Also, it doesn't seem like many on this board have played high level sports. It's not like he is going to weightlifting going to 3 hours of practice and going home. If he is not putting in hours of additional work on his own working on his throwing of the football we picked the wrong guy. My self and my wife were division 1 athletes and we put hours and hours in outside of practice and the team structure and so did everyone else on the team. If these pros aren't doing that and more I'd be shocked.
With his learning curve the growth between starts will be exponential.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
So why isn't he being held out of his duties as a backup?

And it is called "practice".

His duties lol…you mean pretending to be the other teams QB for a couple days?

maybe he's a little banged up, but now kyle doesn't have to answer the why isn't Lance starting questions this week….if Jimmy plays well & they win, then he's saved all the BS for another week or two. Jimmy plays like poop and they lose…then everyone will be screaming about Lance.

I really doubt Kyle is keeping a player off a practice field because he doesn't want to deal with questions and fan noise. I highly doubt Kyle gives 2 F's about that. If that were the reason, he should do us all a favor right now and resign.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Yes and no because each start he'll see things he's never seen before, at this stage of his career. The more he can see, week to week, how defenses can present different things in game than they did in their previous games to combat Kyle's scheme and then how the offense adjusts in game, the better off he'll be. But, he's got to at least get comfortable enough with the playbook - which is over 500 plays, btw, then he'll be less concerned about just making sure everyone is lined up correctly and start to actually see the world around him better. Until then, things are going to be flying 1000 miles per hour and you're going to see some improvement, but the overwhelming amount of data won't just go away in a few weeks.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Yes and no because each start he'll see things he's never seen before, at this stage of his career. The more he can see, week to week, how defenses can present different things in game than they did in their previous games to combat Kyle's scheme and then how the offense adjusts in game, the better off he'll be. But, he's got to at least get comfortable enough with the playbook - which is over 500 plays, btw, then he'll be less concerned about just making sure everyone is lined up correctly and start to actually see the world around him better. Until then, things are going to be flying 1000 miles per hour and you're going to see some improvement, but the overwhelming amount of data won't just go away in a few weeks.

Perfectly said.
Originally posted by Scooper1:
Being the scout qb is practice. He is playing against the first team defense. Reading reacting and through the ball. Is he getting reps in his offense with his wr no but it is still valuable work.

Also, it doesn't seem like many on this board have played high level sports. It's not like he is going to weightlifting going to 3 hours of practice and going home. If he is not putting in hours of additional work on his own working on his throwing of the football we picked the wrong guy. My self and my wife were division 1 athletes and we put hours and hours in outside of practice and the team structure and so did everyone else on the team. If these pros aren't doing that and more I'd be shocked.

He's getting reps running a totally different offense pretending to be someone else. He's not running with the 1st team at any level in practice outside of whatever ZR packages they have for him. His not throwing the ball to Deebo/Kittle/BA.

I've told people where a QB improves the most is in the off season with QB coaches/gurus. There simply isn't time during a short practice, it's about installing different aspects of the weekly game plan (Kyle has broken down a normal practice week in the past). Not sitting there going through all his mechanics.

I don't think anyone believes Lance isn't a hard worker....I think it's been well documented that he is. My point still remains, there isn't anything that can help a player develop more than live reps and that's something he has very little of. If he's completely clueless on the play book (which I don't think he is) then fine...he's still not gonna get better at running the offense by being a scout team QB.

Also I brought this question up for the posters that think he should red shirt this yr....if he was named the starter through camp, preseason and started day 1 would he look better than he did vs AZ in week 5?
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Oct 22, 2021 at 12:49 PM ]
Originally posted by Scooper1:

LOL
Missed today too. He'll be inactive most likely.

The scary thing is Trent Williams & Kinlaw might be inactive too.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Looks like Trey's injury was a lot worse than first reported.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Looks like Trey's injury was a lot worse than first reported.

Kyle said a week or two...that's right on par with what is happening, if he's out next week then yes it's worse

• mayo49
  • Veteran

I'd be more worried about Jimmy starting.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ronniefreakinlott42:

Sorry, man - Jimmy is just better than Trey right now, it's hard for me to admit that.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Oct 22, 2021 at 1:22 PM ]
Originally posted by ronniefreakinlott42:

Sorry, man - Jimmy is just better than Trey right now, it's hard for me to admit that.

He's better in some areas. But also a hell of a lot easier to prepare for.
Share 49ersWebzone