LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by 49ers81:
And lost. I don't know, your post just seems to kind of prove my point. You seem to forget that the preferred argument for many in this forum is that wins are a "team stat", But if they lose it was all Jimmy's fault. So here you are making the argument that, "well, it was the defense's fault" that we lost against Chicago, and the weather, and the fact that Venus was in retrograde, and Lance had a poor horoscope that day. As I said it's all pretty hypocritical.

They are a team stat. It just so happened the rest of the team played better in the one game and made up for the offensive performance.

A guy with 4 starts should not be held to the same standard as a guy with 50+.

Okay, well how about comparing it to a guy with eight starts. A lot of people in here don't seem to have a problem with stating, as fact, that Brock Purdy is better than Jimmy, which may well be true. And his eight starts are only four more than Trey's four. So, it's okay to make the comparison between Brock and Jimmy, because Brock was 8-0, but not between Jimmy and Lance because Lance is only 2-2. It's all just a variations on a common theme. Lance has "reasons" for not getting the job done. Jimmy has excuses. As I said, it's all pretty hypocritical. But Jimmy is yesterday's news. Time to focus on the real story moving forward. Let's go Brandon Allen, woo hoo!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Here's why I think Trey Lance can be a franchise QB. His performance against the Texans. Here's Walsh's take on those kinds of peak performances vs inconsistent performances that Trey recently had.
Walsh believed if he saw a college player display tremendous athleticism on one play, he and his staff could get that level of output from him consistently in the pros. Most scouts insist that many college players can look good on a few plays. Scouts like consistency, and Walsh, to be sure, liked it too. But inconsistency didn't scare him.
"I didn't have to see Joe Montana play 10 games at Notre Dame in 1978 to know I wanted him," Walsh says. "The argument against Montana was he was inconsistent. Maybe it was my impetuous ego, but I felt if I saw him succeed once, he could do it again."
https://vault.si.com/vault/1990/04/23/the-genius-at-work-bill-walsh-built-the-san-francisco-49ers-through-brilliant-trading-and-drafting-and-the-1986-draft-was-his-masterpiece

This is exactly what I was talking about before. Lance was far from perfect but acting like he didn't flash big talent and overall showed this level isn't too big for him. The rest can be developed and by all accounts Trey is the type of guy who will put in the work to get better.

Guys who don't have it typically look like they're a disaster early in their career. Trey's games may not have been elite but he's never come into a game and completely buried the team with his trash play.

Given his inexperience and youth, imo he's got what it takes to be a good one. We'll see how he responds.

Agree 💯%, and Lance isn't the only one that took a long time to develop despite being a top ranked QB pick in the draft. Every QB is different and coaches and fans should be patient in developing physically talented QBs. We really don't know anything about Trey to even trade the guy, let alone have him as a possible QB1.

Terry Bradshaw
As the number one pick, Bradshaw was thrown to the wolves early and proceeded to throw for 1,410 yards, six touchdowns, and an NFL-worst 24 interceptions.
"Booing Terry Bradshaw became a favorite sport in Pittsburgh," he said. "Hey, what do you guys want to do tonight? Let's go boo Terry Bradshaw."
Steelers coach Chuck Noll had enough of the interceptions and the losing and replaced his rookie with second-year veteran Terry Hanratty.
https://www.profootballhistory.com/terry-bradshaw/
Roger Staubach had to spend 4 years in the Navy.
You're either being dense on purpose or it comes natural to you with this post.

I have spelled it out repeatedly saying that my issue is people like you going over the top bashing Trey and disregarding the good plays he's put on tape.

That isn't saying "Trey played great"

Your counter to me saying people exaggerate how poorly Trey played is to say "He was terrible the WHOLE GAME"

i don't know how to explain this to you but whole game means he had no good plays. That's an exaggeration! He did. You bringing up his box score and ignoring all the context from that game is incredibly ignorant. And as mentioned before Fields didn't figure out a damn thing. He made 3 throws that game. 2 of them were wide ass open and both happened to be for TDs.

As I pointed out AGAIN the 49ers overall struggled more than the Bears with the weather. Unless you want to pretend the Bears OT is better than Trent Williams as well?

Fun fact if the 49ers don't go crazy with awful penalties then Fields ends up with 0 TDs and like 60 yards passing in that game, if that.

The weather was worst in the 4th quarter. Go look how many passes Fields threw in the 4th and how many Trey threw.

Or just keep your head in the sand screaming Lance did nothing well.
Hmmm. This sounds an awful lot like the constant disparaging of a QB who was recently on the roster. But I guess what constitutes a "legitimate defense" of Trey, was "just making excuses" for Jimmy. The hypocrisy in these threads is pretty astounding.

Lol one player has 4 career starts, the other is a 9 year vet.

Terrible attempt at a gotcha moment.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Originally posted by napo:
My thinking has been that Lance is pretty much an unknown and that he might be a very good QB or a bad one. Therefore, he needed PT to find out what he was.

But the fact that the team has relegated him to a backup role behind Purdy and that they have left the door open to a trade tells us that they have already made a judgmnet and that it's not positive. i admit I'm surprised.

When exactly did that happen? Link?

Both John and Kyle have made it clear that Brock has surpassed Trey, and Trey has a chance to regain (take note of the word regain) the QB1 spot.

Q: How's Trey's attitude with Brock taking over?

SHANAHAN: "As good as it can be. Trey is a great person, but he's also smart and he knows what he saw. He knows the level Brock played at. I talk to Trey the same way I'm talking to you guys now, so he gets it. I think Trey is just excited to be healthy and excited to come in and get those reps and show what he can do."

Kyle Shanahan Explains why Brock Purdy has Surpassed Trey Lance on the Depth Chart

Yeah, that says nothing about Trey being relegated to backup. You either knew that already, or don't know how to read. Do you just use the talk to type feature on your computer or phone?

You're like an ex that needs a restraining order taken out against him to finally get the hint lol. Your denial is so strong that i honesty feel bad for you. This is going to be a rough season for you if you're still holding on to hope for Trey after they brought Sam in to compete with him. I can give you more quotes, but you can't seem to understand what they are saying. It's not just you, there are still a couple left in the Trey cult that can't seem to comprehend it either.

Meanwhile everyone that isn't in the cult clearly understands. Read around the internet. You will realize it's only your cult that can't accept that Trey is the backup (possibly 3rd stringer). Everyone else accepts reality without bias

Trey can "regain" his spot. Regain, meaning it's not his anymore

[ Edited by CharlieSheen on May 28, 2023 at 2:46 AM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
And lost. I don't know, your post just seems to kind of prove my point. You seem to forget that the preferred argument for many in this forum is that wins are a "team stat", But if they lose it was all Jimmy's fault. So here you are making the argument that, "well, it was the defense's fault" that we lost against Chicago, and the weather, and the fact that Venus was in retrograde, and Lance had a poor horoscope that day. As I said it's all pretty hypocritical.

Yeah I chuckle on the inside when I read that Trey beat HOU in a must win game. As you said, wins wasn't a QB stat with Jimmy. I always knew it would be for Trey.
Originally posted by krizay:

Yeah I chuckle on the inside when I read that Trey beat HOU in a must win game. As you said, wins wasn't a QB stat with Jimmy. I always knew it would be for Trey.

Chuckle all you want. It was his start with the most on the line and it was his best game as a pro.

You guys love to play the opponent card when it suits you and disregard everything else.

Justin Herbert didn't beat them and his team missed the playoffs. They beat the lowly Houston team and they make the playoffs.

Same dudes staning Jimmy like he's Joe Montana and making absurd excuses for his inexcusable play(and I'll admit Jimmy got a lot of crap that wasn't deserved) but doing crazy mental gymnastics to make Trey seem worse than he was.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Hmmm. This sounds an awful lot like the constant disparaging of a QB who was recently on the roster. But I guess what constitutes a "legitimate defense" of Trey, was "just making excuses" for Jimmy. The hypocrisy in these threads is pretty astounding.

Who bashed Jimmy for his performance against Washington in 2019?

I remember quite the opposite; the guy's bashing Trey for his performance in the rain against the Bears excused Jimmy for his performance against Washington because of the rain. 81 is right, the hypocrisy in these threads is astounding
I wasn't specifically referencing Lance's Chicago game against Jimmy's game against Washington but was rather just speaking generally. Of course, the main difference between those two games is that the team won against Washington, which is really the only stat that matters in games like that.

It's certainly a lot easier to win when the defense holds the opponent to 0 points versus giving up 19, which is the main reason one was a victory and the other a loss. Offensively, we were better in basically every way against Chicago than we were against Washington. Not that we were particularly good in either game (or in any other poor weather game we've played under Kyle).

The Denver game was the worst game we've seen from Garoppolo imo. Worse than the Titans game which led to the infamous "leave Jimmy in Tennessee" liked tweet by Lynch.

It was literally a situation where if Jimmy doesn't do 1 thing that has only been done 1 other time and ironically it wasn't even the worst thing he did on that snap, thankfully his first mistake overturned his bigger mistake.

Jimmy doesn't run out of the endzone(or throw the pick 6 after that didn't count) and 49ers win that game if everything else stays the same.

wins/losses are a team stat but there are times the QB either plays out of his mind where the other team can't stop him or plays so bad that the talent around him cannot overcome his bad decisions/play.

Jimmy's play in Denver this season with the way our defense played that day was inexcusable and yet we had plenty of them here including "he didn't get the playbook" or "Jeff Wilson lost the game for us with that fumble cuz Jimmy was going to lead us to a win on that drive"
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Chuckle all you want. It was his start with the most on the line and it was his best game as a pro.

You guys love to play the opponent card when it suits you and disregard everything else.

Justin Herbert didn't beat them and his team missed the playoffs. They beat the lowly Houston team and they make the playoffs.

Same dudes staning Jimmy like he's Joe Montana and making absurd excuses for his inexcusable play(and I'll admit Jimmy got a lot of crap that wasn't deserved) but doing crazy mental gymnastics to make Trey seem worse than he was.

You keep posting like this and i will continue to chuckle. No where in my post did I use the opponent card.

My post was about wins all of a sudden being a QB stat when Trey got one.
Job belongs to Purdy. Lance will get a chance to take it back with performance during the off season. There's another QB in the mix who also has a chance. Let the battle happen. Steel sharpens steel. Our team gets better no matter what. Why are we arguing?
Originally posted by krizay:

You keep posting like this and i will continue to chuckle. No where in my post did I use the opponent card.

My post was about wins all of a sudden being a QB stat when Trey got one.

Yeah you bringing up a Houston in your post definitely didn't mention the opponent card.

I assure you the people still believing in Trey aren't putting the bulk of their emphasis on the "win" in that game but more the pressure of it being a MUST win and it being his best game and only glimpse of him playing with the full talent of the roster we had.

What's even more astounding is trying to hold someone with 4 career starts and someone who has been in the league for close to a decade to the same standards.

Just an awful post and headscratching logic.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Job belongs to Purdy. Lance will get a chance to take it back with performance during the off season. There's another QB in the mix who also has a chance. Let the battle happen. Steel sharpens steel. Our team gets better no matter what. Why are we arguing?

Because for some the desire for Trey to fail supercedes the desire for anyone else to succeed.
Originally posted by napo:
My thinking has been that Lance is pretty much an unknown and that he might be a very good QB or a bad one. Therefore, he needed PT to find out what he was.

But the fact that the team has relegated him to a backup role behind Purdy and that they have left the door open to a trade tells us that they have already made a judgmnet and that it's not positive. i admit I'm surprised.

When exactly did that happen? Link?

Both John and Kyle have made it clear that Brock has surpassed Trey, and Trey has a chance to regain (take note of the word regain) the QB1 spot.

Q: How's Trey's attitude with Brock taking over?

SHANAHAN: "As good as it can be. Trey is a great person, but he's also smart and he knows what he saw. He knows the level Brock played at. I talk to Trey the same way I'm talking to you guys now, so he gets it. I think Trey is just excited to be healthy and excited to come in and get those reps and show what he can do."

Kyle Shanahan Explains why Brock Purdy has Surpassed Trey Lance on the Depth Chart

Yeah, that says nothing about Trey being relegated to backup. You either knew that already, or don't know how to read. Do you just use the talk to type feature on your computer or phone?

You're like an ex that needs a restraining order taken out against him to finally get the hint lol. Your denial is so strong that i honesty feel bad for you. This is going to be a rough season for you if you're still holding on to hope for Trey after they brought Sam in to compete with him. I can give you more quotes, but you can't seem to understand what they are saying. It's not just you, there are still a couple left in the Trey cult that can't seem to comprehend it either.

Meanwhile everyone that isn't in the cult clearly understands. Read around the internet. You will realize it's only your cult that can't accept that Trey is the backup (possibly 3rd stringer). Everyone else accepts reality without bias

Trey can "regain" his spot. Regain, meaning it's not his anymore

Wow, you must have some experience with that. Using Cohn to try proving your point is hilarious, and just what I needed to file you where you belong.
[ Edited by SLCNiner on May 28, 2023 at 10:48 AM ]
Wow, you must have some experience with that. Using Cohn to try proving your point is hilarious, and just what I needed to file you where you belong.

File him along with the vast majority of fans who understand that Trey will have to play himself back into the starter's role this offseason, because Brock is the presumptive starter.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Solid post man!
Share 49ersWebzone