LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 335 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by tankle104:
I'd like to see Lance get another chance but Only if he earned it and not just handed to him. If darnold is as bad as everyone says - he shouldn't have a difficult time beating him out.

Lance has never had to earn anything so far during his time in the league. He was given QB2 as a rookie and QB1 his second year, both uncontested, and I understand why they did that. I'm not saying they shouldn't have, but it is going to be interesting how he responds being challenged. I think he will be just fine, but it is uncharted territory for him in the pros. It'll be fun to watch darnold too because even though he has sucked, he's improved on his play this last season and his skill set does fit our offensive philosophy really well. It'll be great competition that should make both better.

it's going to test his mental fortitude on how he responds to it, which I think he's just fine in that regard. It'll just be cool to see him go through that.

he will get his opportunities during camp but there is still a chance Purdy will be ready to go week 1, as well. It's going to be fun to see how this all plays out.

Trey himself said he doesn't want the job just handed to him. He said he just wants the opportunity to compete for it.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
From SF Gate:

"He's competing for an NFL backup job with Sam Freaking Darnold."

basically heard 100x NFL insiders, news sources, journalists, former QBs including 49er QBs (Carr) saying it's a comp here, maybe cuz it is..

between Sam and TL

https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/trey-lance-turnaround-astonishing-17867018.php

If Purdy's recovery continues to do well, then you are right. So far what Purdy said in that Purdy podcast, he is doing well in rehab, and everything is going according to plan. So far. It is Still *months* to go before we really find out where Purdy actually will be healthwise.

Having said that, Lance (from the totality of what I've seen of his career) he can take the QB1 spot. Obviously if Purdy is not healthy, he can take it over Sam because he's been in Kyles offense longer than Sam. Secondly the Texas game and some of the plays in limited action last year points intriguingly to a very *very* high ceiling.

**IF** the 49ers draft well again this year, and keep that super bowl window open. I.e. draft a credible offensive tackle to take Trent place, and/or guys that can replace some aging players (Gould), I think Treys potential alone might be enough to keep him here much longer (versus being potentially traded).

As for Sam. I think this is Brian Griese's way to light a fire under Trey. He is legit competion for Trey. If its true Sam has really turned the corner in his career *and* Trey doesn't improve, i can see ShanaLynch start to really listen to whatever trade offers are out there.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
I'd like to see Lance get another chance but Only if he earned it and not just handed to him. If darnold is as bad as everyone says - he shouldn't have a difficult time beating him out.

Lance has never had to earn anything so far during his time in the league. He was given QB2 as a rookie and QB1 his second year, both uncontested, and I understand why they did that. I'm not saying they shouldn't have, but it is going to be interesting how he responds being challenged. I think he will be just fine, but it is uncharted territory for him in the pros. It'll be fun to watch darnold too because even though he has sucked, he's improved on his play this last season and his skill set does fit our offensive philosophy really well. It'll be great competition that should make both better.

it's going to test his mental fortitude on how he responds to it, which I think he's just fine in that regard. It'll just be cool to see him go through that.

he will get his opportunities during camp but there is still a chance Purdy will be ready to go week 1, as well. It's going to be fun to see how this all plays out.

Trey himself said he doesn't want the job just handed to him. He said he just wants the opportunity to compete for it.

I know he did. I saw that. Also, what is any player supposed to say? Lmao "I can't believe I have to compete for something in this league?". I wasn't saying anything bad about him.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Apr 1, 2023 at 6:25 AM ]
Originally posted by JTB1974:

I know he did. I saw that. Also, what is any player supposed to say? Lmao "I can't believe I have to compete for something in this league?". I wasn't saying anything bad about him.
Who saying he didn't earn QB2 and then QB1 ?

we have all the reports and articles saying he has.
Not that Lance needed any extra motivation, but us saying Brock is the leader is also a good strategic move to ensure there's a fire lit for Trey to give everything he's got still to try to steal the job away.

He was capable even as a raw rookie. You didn't see a guy that looked like Beathard, Mullens, or Hoyer when he had to start, despite his little Xp.

I'm real happy with him at least being the #2 because (knock on wood) if anything did happen to Brock, I wouldn't feel like the season is over.
I'd love all of these expert opinions that can judge a guy off of 3.25 games in the draft forum to lend their keen football minds to analyzing players that will be available in picks 100 through 200. I won't hold my breath though.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I'd love all of these expert opinions that can judge a guy off of 3.25 games in the draft forum to lend their keen football minds to analyzing players that will be available in picks 100 through 200. I won't hold my breath though.

Meh, even QB guru Kyle Shanahan missed drafting Brock 6 times before nabbing him in the 7th. At most, a good GM is right (in the first round at least) about 30% of the time. There was an article back last year (or the year before) stating that for most first round picks - only about 30%-ish percent of rookies get a 2nd contract with their original team. Which means something like 70% (or something like that) are first round misses, and that percentages go down after as the rounds get lower. Point being, a blind monkey would probably do as good a job as any average GM or fan out there in picking players in the draft.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Not that Lance needed any extra motivation, but us saying Brock is the leader is also a good strategic move to ensure there's a fire lit for Trey to give everything he's got still to try to steal the job away.

He was capable even as a raw rookie. You didn't see a guy that looked like Beathard, Mullens, or Hoyer when he had to start, despite his little Xp.

I'm real happy with him at least being the #2 because (knock on wood) if anything did happen to Brock, I wouldn't feel like the season is over.

He certainly needs a lot more XP if he's going to ever level up.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
from NBC Sports Bay Area:

"The 49ers have a quarterback battle heading into the 2023 NFL season with Brock Purdy, Trey Lance and even Sam Darnold in the mix for the starting job."

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/brock-purdy-belongs-ahead-trey-lance-49ers-starting-qb-stat-shows

49ers have 11 draft picks - I'm thinking one of them, possibly another 7th rounder, could be a QB pick in this years draft.
Originally posted by Giedi:
from NBC Sports Bay Area:

"The 49ers have a quarterback battle heading into the 2023 NFL season with Brock Purdy, Trey Lance and even Sam Darnold in the mix for the starting job."

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/brock-purdy-belongs-ahead-trey-lance-49ers-starting-qb-stat-shows

49ers have 11 draft picks - I'm thinking one of them, possibly another 7th rounder, could be a QB pick in this years draft.
[ Edited by ImRicky on Apr 2, 2023 at 10:07 AM ]

11 draft picks but very low value
Originally posted by ImRicky:

Fortunately, they're in the rounds we usually hit on! We hit on bosa and Aiyuk in the first, McG was good but I don't think he played to his draft slot. Most of our first rounders have been huge misses. So it's all good.

maybe we package up some of our picks to jump into the second or so for a player we really like.

Fortunately, they're in the rounds we usually hit on! We hit on bosa and Aiyuk in the first, McG was good but I don't think he played to his draft slot. Most of our first rounders have been huge misses. So it's all good.

maybe we package up some of our picks to jump into the second or so for a player we really like.

This is true. If any team in recent history has shown that draft slot doesn't matter, it's this one.
Originally posted by 49ers808:

This is true. If any team in recent history has shown that draft slot doesn't matter, it's this one.

I'd be really curious to see how and who in our draft process gets to fight for certain players in certain rounds.
we all know it isn't just one person looking at these guys and making the final decision.

i remember Lynch saying it was Griese & Adams (I think that's who the second person was) who did the research on Purdy and fought for him to be drafted.

id like to see how we do mid round guys, because we hit a lot there. Like is it the same couple guys every year? Does it depend on the geography? I want to see the structure of
How this is all done. Would be super cool
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Meh, even QB guru Kyle Shanahan missed drafting Brock 6 times before nabbing him in the 7th. At most, a good GM is right (in the first round at least) about 30% of the time. There was an article back last year (or the year before) stating that for most first round picks - only about 30%-ish percent of rookies get a 2nd contract with their original team. Which means something like 70% (or something like that) are first round misses, and that percentages go down after as the rounds get lower. Point being, a blind monkey would probably do as good a job as any average GM or fan out there in picking players in the draft.

Kyle is a lot of things, but he's never been a QB guru. Where are you getting that from? He's a great play caller and designer, but not QB guru. As for everything else, what was your purpose in sharing that?
Share 49ersWebzone