LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
They held Lawrence to a 73 passer rating as well.

As 5Rings said/suggested,...you should see it as them holding Lawrence's team to a 73 passer rating as well.

This is a football board. Let's not overrate or underrate the relevance of passer rating as it relates to QBs.

If you want to discuss QB performance,...use other stuff.

And no,...I dont mean team wins. We saw how the "He just wins" thing worked out just this past offseason as opposed to a QB like Carr.
[ Edited by random49er on Mar 30, 2023 at 11:10 AM ]
Originally posted by random49er:

As 5Rings said/suggested,...you should see it as them holding Lawrence's team to a 73 passer rating as well.

This is a football board. Let's not overrate or underrate the relevance of passer rating as it relates to QBs.

And no,...I dont mean team wins. We saw how the "He just wins" thing worked out just this past offseason as opposed to a QB like Carr.

Lol imagine Lance on that jags team with urban Meyer and the lack of talent around him. I keep saying - you can't compare Lance and the other QBs because most of them, outside of Mac (lack of talent at skill positions), went to horrible situations on horrible teams. It doesn't make sense.

just Break down his play quarter by quarter. It's that simple. How did the offense play in the first quarter? Second? Third? Fourth? It progressively got better but there was also no pressure cause the D nearly shut them out. Trey deserves credit for making sure we won, he had a solid-good game, but don't act like he carried the team? Lol

can't call that performance great without saying jimmy had like 30 great games here, which we all know he didn't.
Originally posted by tankle104:

Lol imagine Lance on that jags team with urban Meyer and the lack of talent around him. I keep saying - you can't compare Lance and the other QBs because most of them, outside of Mac (lack of talent at skill positions), went to horrible situations on horrible teams. It doesn't make sense.

just Break down his play quarter by quarter. It's that simple. How did the offense play in the first quarter? Second? Third? Fourth? It progressively got better but there was also no pressure cause the D nearly shut them out. Trey deserves credit for making sure we won, he had a solid-good game, but don't act like he carried the team? Lol

can't call that performance great without saying jimmy had like 30 great games here, which we all know he didn't.

Go ahead and break it down. There was bad early and then he corrected his mistakes. It's something he's shown a knack in doing.

I remember guys bending over backwards to show that Jimmy G played well at the end of games and ignored all the garbage earlier in the game but with Trey apparently we're doing quarter/half breakdowns and when he wins a game it's a terrible Houston team.

Trey Lance stunk it up and couldn't get us a win vs Chicago but when Jimmy G plays like crap but we win a 9-0 game vs a 3-13 Washington team in similar conditions it's because he's a winner.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:

Go ahead and break it down. There was bad early and then he corrected his mistakes. It's something he's shown a knack in doing.

I remember guys bending over backwards to show that Jimmy G played well at the end of games and ignored all the garbage earlier in the game but with Trey apparently we're doing quarter/half breakdowns and when he wins a game it's a terrible Houston team.

Trey Lance stunk it up and couldn't get us a win vs Chicago but when Jimmy G plays like crap but we win a 9-0 game vs a 3-13 Washington team in similar conditions it's because he's a winner.

Grappy was very good for the team, any one who tries to deny that must be a fan of CJ or HOYER...

Bottom line is that Shanny could have cut ties but did not, he knew to stay with Grappy so that he can have a scapegoat..

You are really off on these takes..

The dif between JG and TL, JG is top 10 all time rated and win percent. He's got 57 starts. TL has 4.

So it's a guy where you can make some conclusions, and a guy who is a ? mark

I can say JG can do a lot of good things in this league cuz he has as a matter of fact.
TL is not established like that yet, not any fault of his, but you are asking me to assume TL is some established guy with a track record like JG, he isn't.
no one thinks JG is a winner cuz of some WAS game, it's cuz he's 40-17 as a QB1 starter in the NFL
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

The dif between JG and TL, JG is top 10 all time rated and win percent. He's got 57 starts. TL has 4.

I can say JG can do a lot of good things in this league cuz he has as a matter of fact.
TL is not established like that yet, not any fault of his, but you are asking me to assume TL is some established guy with a track record like JG, he isn't.
no one thinks JG is a winner cuz of some WAS game, it's cuz he's 40-17 as a QB1 starter in the NFL

You're not letting Trey show what he can do with time but want to look at Jimmy's full career sample size?

It's laughable that one guy can play worse as his team pitches a shutout and you lot don't think the stunk.
Other guy has a better game in a 9 point loss when the defense has major breakdowns in the 2nd half and that QB we can't win with.

Last I checked Trey would be 4-0 if the defense gave up 0 points in each of his games.

Just a few posts ago someone tried to discredit Lance for beating Houston because the defense only gave up 7 points.

All I'm doing is pointing out the insane hypocrisy on display with these evaluations. Garoppolo didn't start a game until he was 25 years old btw. But we want to act like Lance is a finished product here.
Originally posted by krizay:

All I said was to these guys that it wasn't a "great" performance by Lance, I even said you could call it good. Now some guy name Mike is saying god knows what. Lmao

I like Waterbear, have no issue with him. Lol it's fine to say Trey had lingering injuries, I'm sure he did, but that still isn't considered a great game. Just hold whoever our qb is to a higher standard of performance. Idk what I said wrong. Lol

I've tried to explain this before but my issue with a lot of these negative posts about Trey is more about the hypocritical framing and context around the poster(not necessarily you tankle), because I'm indifferent about their stance on Trey itself.

It's the framing and excuses that's allotted to their favorite QB, just not Trey. Whether that's the help of an elite defense, our elite offensive weapons, injuries, playing against bad teams, turning the ball over, not having reps with the first team offense, or Kyle Shanahan's play calling, they've all been used to shame Trey but most apply to Jimmy and Purdy as well.

We're extrapolating 3 games as if Trey's played for a decade. It makes absolutely no sense to me to make any definitive claim or be so confident in any prediction about his game so far. It appears a lot of posters want to be RIGHT about Lance, and the success of him is secondary or not desired at all due to spite.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

You're not letting Trey show what he can do with time but want to look at Jimmy's full career sample size?

It's laughable that one guy can play worse as his team pitches a shutout and you lot don't think the stunk.
Other guy has a better game in a 9 point loss when the defense has major breakdowns in the 2nd half and that QB we can't win with.

Last I checked Trey would be 4-0 if the defense gave up 0 points in each of his games.

Just a few posts ago someone tried to discredit Lance for beating Houston because the defense only gave up 7 points.

All I'm doing is pointing out the insane hypocrisy on display with these evaluations. Garoppolo didn't start a game until he was 25 years old btw. But we want to act like Lance is a finished product here.

I'm not letting Trey you say? how I am not letting Trey do anything?

I have no idea on your 2nd sentence what you are trying to say. I'm guessing you are on the WAS game again, who cares about that game for any reason?

"TL would be 4-0 if the D gave up 0 points".. I am not sure what I am even reading or why I am still reading this..

"we want to act like Lance is finished".. I legit said TL is a ? mark in my post.. he is very much a prospect / in developmental mode here.. I am posting x and you are saying that I am posting Y..
It's kind of wild how the narrative surrounding Trey--both national and local--has completely 180'd in just the span of a week.

Me last week: I can't wait to see Trey get better and try to capture the starting job.

Me this week: Bro, is this dude really about get Wally Pipped by Sam f**king Darnold and get traded.
[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 30, 2023 at 12:03 PM ]

Passer rating paints a decent picture when you need a quick comparison.

I don't give a s**t about Carr.

Originally posted by Heroism:
It's kind of wild how the narrative surrounding Trey--both national and local--has completely 180'd in just the span of a week.

Yes it is. I predicted we would add a day 1 FA with experience, and this convo would come. I think a lot of the "trade TL" or "TL is finished" takes are nonsense. Jed said it correct, he didn't play last year, but that's no fault of TL. He has a real opportunity here under contract and with BP perhaps a long way off. So TL and Sam will be out there in summer and KS will see how they look. For a young guy he will be a lot better in July than he was last Sept he is working / growing.

Why the f**k do you keep bringing up jimmy? Stay focused on Trey. Idk why it's important to you to say jimmy did things poorly and that's an excuse for Lance?

Judge trey on treys play. Stop comparing them. All I said was that If Lance had a great game against the Texans, then you'd have to consider jimmy as playing great many times. In other words, neither had a great game. Or jimmy very rarely did.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 30, 2023 at 12:16 PM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I've tried to explain this before but my issue with a lot of these negative posts about Trey is more about the hypocritical framing and context around the poster(not necessarily you tankle), because I'm indifferent about their stance on Trey itself.

It's the framing and excuses that's allotted to their favorite QB, just not Trey. Whether that's the help of an elite defense, our elite offensive weapons, injuries, playing against bad teams, turning the ball over, not having reps with the first team offense, or Kyle Shanahan's play calling, they've all been used to shame Trey but most apply to Jimmy and Purdy as well.

We're extrapolating 3 games as if Trey's played for a decade. It makes absolutely no sense to me to make any definitive claim or be so confident in any prediction about his game so far. It appears a lot of posters want to be RIGHT about Lance, and the success of him is secondary or not desired at all due to spite.

And here we go again. Another poster on the wrong side of the fence screaming posters want to be right about Lance.

The only fans WANTING to be right are the ones who have yet to be right. Who keeps clinging to this hope that this mythical ceiling can be reached.

If he even comes close to this mythical ceiling guess what he becomes? Brock Purdy! Purdy is playing EXACTLY how guys thought Tret would.

The people on the opposite side of the fence as you don't WANT to be right. You and others an follow your blind faith all you want. Just don't expect others to follow it with you.

He was the same QB in 2022 as he was in 2019. This training camp we're going to read the same struggles we read last year. But you guys won't look at that. Keep talking about how little we have to go off of. Yet all we are allowed to go off of is a quarter and a half of the Texans game.
[ Edited by krizay on Mar 30, 2023 at 12:34 PM ]
Why the f**k do you keep bringing up jimmy? Stay focused on Trey. Idk why it's important to you to say jimmy did things poorly and that's an excuse for Lance?

Judge trey on treys play. Stop comparing them. All I said was that If Lance had a great game against the Texans, then you'd have to consider jimmy as playing great many times. In other words, neither had a great game. Or jimmy very rarely did.

Well what do you expect from them? To bring up Purdy for comparison? You know, the other niner QB

I am judging Trey off his play. Me bringing up Jimmy was showing hypocrisy in how you guys evaluate players.

Seems like you don't enjoy having that reminder.

I've long maintained the idea that the team couldn't afford to develop Trey to be a BS narrative. Trey didn't get a lot of time to show what he can do but he showed a lot of good which translates long term. The idea that with more experience he becomes worse is crazy to me when the guy didn't look lost out there.

His negatives for the most part are hesitation due to inexperience and wanting to make the right plays but maybe not being adjusted to the speed of the game. That stuff will come with time.

Now soon enough we will see what he can do, or we'll see if he's traded. I think Trey comes in ready to win his job back and we'll see if he's able to do just that or Brock comes back in time and goes back to what he was doing before his injury.
Share 49ersWebzone