• pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BOI49er:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Vikings Trade Proposal Brings $34.1 Million QB to Minnesota

The Vikings rejected a 3 year extension for Cousins, and it is suggersted they bring in Lance this last year of Cousins tenure.

The Vikings have the 23rd pick.

I'll take Lance over cousins. Cousins would be a complete waste of time. Especially at that contract $

Im with you on this

+2

The story suggests the Vikings take Trey and we get their 23rd overall, not that we take Cousins.

That isn't a reputable website. Heavy.com lol.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Sf was trying to get Kirk cousins...
Jesus Christ
[ Edited by dmax on Mar 29, 2023 at 10:13 PM ]

The Vikings rejected a 3 year extension for Cousins, and it is suggersted they bring in Lance this last year of Cousins tenure.

I'll take Lance over cousins. Cousins would be a complete waste of time. Especially at that contract $

Im with you on this

+2

The story suggests the Vikings take Trey and we get their 23rd overall, not that we take Cousins.

The issue with that is I highly doubt that IF Trey is traded, it is anything less than "Post June 1 Trade" because of dead cap reasons - which means we wouldn't get any draft picks for this year.

Although, it would be a decent trade for us. Would prefer to trade him to the AFC haha just incase I'm wrong about him and he does turn into a stud.

Im with you on this

+2

The issue with that is I highly doubt that IF Trey is traded, it is anything less than "Post June 1 Trade" because of dead cap reasons - which means we wouldn't get any draft picks for this year.

Although, it would be a decent trade for us. Would prefer to trade him to the AFC haha just incase I'm wrong about him and he does turn into a stud.

There's no reason to post June 1 Trey. His salary is already accounted for this year. Why push it into future years?
Originally posted by JaggedJ:

Im with you on this

+2

There's no reason to post June 1 Trey. His salary is already accounted for this year. Why push it into future years?

It gives you the ability to spread his dead cap over two years, instead of one. So we would have $5.5M dead cap this year and $5.5M dead cap next year. There are also additional cost savings of couple million next year.

if you're going to trade him, it makes the most sense in regards to the salary cap.

post June 1 trade:
2023 - Dead cap $5.5M Cost savings: $3.76M
2024 - Dead Cap $5.5M Cap Savings: $5.3M

Pre June 1 Trade:
2023 - Dead cap $11M Cost savings: -$1.78M

https://overthecap.com/player/trey-lance/9467

im not advocating to trade him. Just saying it makes the most sense - that could give us a few more vets to sign or so, even this year. Cutting him (pre or post June 1 would be extremely dumb for many reasons) and trading him post June 1 is much better than pre - unless it's an amazing trade package. In my opinion, the only logical option would be trade him designated as post June 1 - which can happen before June 1, but wouldn't impact the salary cap until then, that's why we wouldn't be able to get draft capital this year.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 30, 2023 at 2:31 AM ]

Im with you on this

+2

It gives you the ability to spread his dead cap over two years, instead of one. So we would have $5.5M dead cap this year and $5.5M dead cap next year. There are also additional cost savings of couple million next year.

if you're going to trade him, it makes the most sense in regards to the salary cap.

post June 1 trade:

Pre June 1 Trade:

im not advocating to trade him. Just saying it makes the most sense - that could give us a few more vets to sign or so, even this year. Cutting him (pre or post June 1 would be extremely dumb for many reasons) and trading him post June 1 is much better than pre - unless it's an amazing trade package. In my opinion, the only logical option would be trade him designated as post June 1 - which can happen before June 1, but wouldn't impact the salary cap until then, that's why we wouldn't be able to get draft capital this year.

I know how it works I just don't see the point unless we plan on making a signing and actually need the cap.

We have contracts becoming expensive next year, and Trey's $$$ is already accounted for this year. No need to add and extra few million of dead money if you don't have to.

Im with you on this

+2

post June 1 trade:

Pre June 1 Trade:

I know how it works I just don't see the point unless we plan on making a signing and actually need the cap.

We have contracts becoming expensive next year, and Trey's $$$ is already accounted for this year. No need to add and extra few million of dead money if you don't have to.

Well unless I'm missing something - it does nothing but helps us financially this year and next. I could be misunderstanding something here. I'm not too well versed with the salary cap functions.

Im with you on this

+2

post June 1 trade:

Pre June 1 Trade:

Well unless I'm missing something - it does nothing but helps us financially this year and next. I could be misunderstanding something here. I'm not too well versed with the salary cap functions.

Trey's cap hit is 9.3m this season. Pre June Trade puts that up to 11m this season and nothing next season.

Post June gives us cap savings this season but a dead money hit next season.

So my thought is that if we can accommodate the extra 1.8M in this year's cap then Pre-June 1 and not have anything next season. But if we want to create money for a signing the Post-June comes into the equation.

All comes down to our reasoning for trading him I guess (in this purely hypothetical trade situation).

Im with you on this

+2

post June 1 trade:

Pre June 1 Trade:

Trey's cap hit is 9.3m this season. Pre June Trade puts that up to 11m this season and nothing next season.

So my thought is that if we can accommodate the extra 1.8M in this year's cap then Pre-June 1 and not have anything next season. But if we want to create money for a signing the Post-June comes into the equation.

All comes down to our reasoning for trading him I guess (in this purely hypothetical trade situation).

Hmm what I'm seeing is if we trade him this year pre June 1 it would be $11M dead cap this year and still another $5.5M next year - totaling about $17M in dead cap over this season and next.
If it's designated post June 1 - it would only be a total of $11M dead cap combined this year and next. I'm not entirely sure why it says less, I'm assuming it has to do with paying his salary this year, if pre June.

maybe someone can clear this up for us that knows more about the salary cap/contract situation.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 30, 2023 at 4:18 AM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Hmm what I'm seeing is if we trade him this year pre June 1 it would be $11M dead cap this year and still another $5.5M next year - totaling about $17M in dead cap over this season and next.
If it's designated post June 1 - it would only be a total of $11M dead cap combined this year and next. I'm not entirely sure why it says less, I'm assuming it has to do with paying his salary this year, if pre June.

maybe someone can clear this up for us that knows more about the salary cap/contract situation.

If traded pre June he's completely off the books after this year. The whole purpose of waiting post June is to spread it out over 2 years
[ Edited by krizay on Mar 30, 2023 at 4:23 AM ]

Im with you on this

+2

post June 1 trade:

Pre June 1 Trade:

Ahh I see what you're reading. Lol I did this exact same thing when I was figuring out how it all worked.

Those numbers are per year breakdown if cut/traded in that particular year only.

So if he's traded Pre-June 1st then all the money owed over the entire length of the contract accelerates to the current year and there's nothing afterwards.

If traded Post-June it's the same dead cap money in total but you're able to spread it out over two seasons so whatever you don't pay this season becomes dead cap next season.
[ Edited by JaggedJ on Mar 30, 2023 at 4:41 AM ]
Not thrilled with how we are treating Lance. I hope he is ready to compete and shut down the critics.

Im with you on this

+2

post June 1 trade:

Pre June 1 Trade:

Ahh I see what you're reading. Lol I did this exact same thing when I was figuring out how it all worked.

Those numbers are per year breakdown if cut/traded in that particular year only.

So if he's traded Pre-June 1st then all the money owed over the entire length of the contract accelerates to the current year and there's nothing afterwards.

If traded Post-June it's the same dead cap money in total but you're able to spread it out over two seasons so whatever you don't pay this season becomes dead cap next season.

got it - so to sum it up, without getting into the weeds, there isn't much of a different cap savings wise besides when you pay it? We could get it all out of the way this year or we can split it up over two years?
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
Not thrilled with how we are treating Lance. I hope he is ready to compete and shut down the critics.

It's warranted, he has done jack s**t so far since he has been here except lose to the last place bears
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:

My thoughts exactly. Hope he comes into TC and lights it up. He better be at the facility every day or this is on him and he can go.
Share 49ersWebzone