There are 251 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I don't understand his point. Are there really people arguing that Lance deserves to start over a healthy Purdy?

I don't think so. I think people are saying Lance is getting first crack in camp, and if he wows people (especially if Brock is still on the mend in the preseason or week 1), he could conceivably take the job back.

Pretty much my thinking.

Imo this works "fair" for everyone while not having to take too much heat in the media. Because of Purdy healing up - Trey gets a lot of reps resulting in a shot that he needs and deserves so we get a real good look. They spent a ton on him so it's worthwhile in that sense.

Now if Trey is winning it'll get interesting. My guess is Kyle rides that because that's his track record.

My best guess is Purdy isn't ready until a few games into the season and also, after all the damn injury bs we've been through, don't rush it.

I also believe if Lance is benched he will ask to be traded to a team where he can get on the field.

I wouldn't say it impossible, anything's possible, but Kyle emphasized "film" when he mentioned why Purdy is QB1. I interpret that as Lance would have to prove it in a game. So I think if Lance gets a chance to start a handful of games and balls - it's a real possibility.

i only see that happening if Brock is hurt or has a hiccup in his recovery
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 27, 2023 at 9:28 PM ]
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by dj43:
The major reason they gave Darnold that much money was because of the uncertainty with both Lance and Purdy.

It begins with Purdy: Though we all hope he is ready to go for game 1, if he has a signficiant setback in his recovery which would result in him not being ready until October or later, we are stuck with a rookie or some retread vet. While the price might be right, the quality of play might be Johnson-level. That would only work if Lance balls out right from the jump.

Which brings us to the problem with Lance. If he doesn't ball out right away, or at least show significant progress, Lynch cannot let a 2-3 early games slip away hoping he improves.

All that to say, Lynch had to buy high in order to keep the "All In" sign on his desk. It is just the necessary price to reduce the worst case risk scenario.

This is pretty much dead on, but I think most people don't realize or address the portion that insures against a poor showing from Lance in the offseason program. That's what a bunch of arguing has been about across these threads. The idea or possibility that Darnold could effectively be QB2 here. It's not a coincidence we've seen two of the most uniquely structured backup QB contracts over the last two seasons.

The major reason they gave Darnold that much money was because of the uncertainty with both Lance and Purdy.

It begins with Purdy: Though we all hope he is ready to go for game 1, if he has a signficiant setback in his recovery which would result in him not being ready until October or later, we are stuck with a rookie or some retread vet. While the price might be right, the quality of play might be Johnson-level. That would only work if Lance balls out right from the jump.

Which brings us to the problem with Lance. If he doesn't ball out right away, or at least show significant progress, Lynch cannot let a 2-3 early games slip away hoping he improves.

All that to say, Lynch had to buy high in order to keep the "All In" sign on his desk. It is just the necessary price to reduce the worst case risk scenario.

This is pretty much dead on, but I think most people don't realize or address the portion that insures against a poor showing from Lance in the offseason program. That's what a bunch of arguing has been about across these threads. The idea or possibility that Darnold could effectively be QB2 here. It's not a coincidence we've seen two of the most uniquely structured backup QB contracts over the last two seasons.

The front loaded Hargrave thing indicates to me we are Really going all in this year for a SB run. Same with an experienced Darnold.

I don't know, but you just have to wonder if John and Kyle aren't one step ahead of us. After two off seasons and a handful of games, they may not want to sacrifice 2-3 early games hoping Lance improves when they're pretty sure it won't be enough. That would explain the money spent on Darnald. And Ian Rapoport just reported that "they" think Purdy will be ready for the start of the season.

To really get spooky, that Jet's deal isn't done yet. If you were Robert Saleh, would you sell your future and career for a poorly performing MVP coveting self centered over the hill off season no show to build your young receivers quarterback that will cost you $59.5m that just had to go "into the dark" for days believing there was a 90 percent chance he'd come out and retire quarterback that shows no desire to play more than that one very high priced year anyway and who's contract will be up Aaron Rodgers? Or would you rather take a chance on a promising young quarterback with all the physical attributes, a great attitude, hard worker, motivated, smart guy with three years left on his rookie deal to prove it who has never gotten the chance to get experience? Duh.
Originally posted by BOI49er:
The front loaded Hargrave thing indicates to me we are Really going all in this year for a SB run. Same with an experienced Darnold.

I don't know, but you just have to wonder if John and Kyle aren't one step ahead of us. After two off seasons and a handful of games, they may not want to sacrifice 2-3 early games hoping Lance improves when they're pretty sure it won't be enough. That would explain the money spent on Darnald. And Ian Rapoport just reported that "they" think Purdy will be ready for the start of the season.

To really get spooky, that Jet's deal isn't done yet. If you were Robert Saleh, would you sell your future and career for a poorly performing MVP coveting self centered over the hill off season no show to build your young receivers quarterback that will cost you $59.5m that just had to go "into the dark" for days believing there was a 90 percent chance he'd come out and retire quarterback that shows no desire to play more than that one very high priced year anyway and who's contract will be up Aaron Rodgers? Or would you rather take a chance on a promising young quarterback with all the physical attributes, a great attitude, hard worker, motivated, smart guy with three years left on his rookie deal to prove it who has never gotten the chance to get experience? Duh.

It's Aaron Rodgers for me, lol. Not even a tough decision.

As far as your comments about Kyle and John's thinking when it came to signing Sam Darnold, I fully believe what you are describing (and what was described in the previous post) is an accurate read of the situation.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
I don't think so. I think people are saying Lance is getting first crack in camp, and if he wows people (especially if Brock is still on the mend in the preseason or week 1), he could conceivably take the job back.

It's implied at a minimum in a lot of arguments here. There's also a wide range in opinions on what it would take for him to keep the job. If everyone's standard was it's Brock's job and Trey has to wow people to take it, there'd be a hell of a lot less back and forth on the issue.

I truly believe this to be the case though. If all things were equal (meaning health), Purdy is the starter....and I would say 99% of Niner fans would be behind that.

If Trey plays at a very high level, I can see him keeping the job. But that's not the same thing as advocating Trey be the starter, which Lombardi was implying he was seeing a lot. I haven't seen that once. Maybe I missed it. I don't really see people implying that either.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I truly believe this to be the case though. If all things were equal (meaning health), Purdy is the starter....and I would say 99% of Niner fans would be behind that.

If Trey plays at a very high level, I can see him keeping the job. But that's not the same thing as advocating Trey be the starter, which Lombardi was implying he was seeing a lot. I haven't seen that once. Maybe I missed it. I don't really see people implying that either.

You don't have to look to far to see it implied in arguments here. When you see the same arguments regurgitated over months you're going to see some flip flopping and subtle pivots. People don't like being wrong, lol. Either way, I do agree with you on what the majority of fans would support overall.

As far as what Lombardi was seeing, I'm sure he's referencing Twitter... and you will absolutely see a vocal minority of fans and blogger/vlogger types who are advocating for just that.
I for one believe that John and Kyle have been straightforward in what they've said since they've been here

They're now saying that Brock playing ball like Jimmy but better with more elusiveness to extend plays and not committing as many foolish plays and turnovers is enough to beat Hurts and Mahomes and relegate Trey Lance to the bench and the trading block

If this is the case we need to listen to trade offers for Trey and if they're high enough you move him when the time is right and if it's not you keep him because he's a cheap option in case Brock can't go

Thing is for Trey it sure seems like him being drafted by the 49ers wasn't the fairy tale he likely figured it would be. He had now went through the highs of being a third overall to being at his third year with only four starts and having had to back up now Jimmy G and Brock Purdy.

If I were Trey I would want a fair shot to compete for the job because there's no way I could accept holding a clipboard for Brock or I would welcome a trade to where I could prove myself. I would figure that I declared for the draft because I knew I would go high to a team that intended to play me and not to a club where I would back up Jimmy G and the last pick of the following draft

As a 49er fan I just want the constant QB musical chairs thing to end. Find the QB. Keep him healthy and win the chip! I want this to be the last offseason we have to entertain who should be QB1. If it is going to be Brock Purdy let's get this guy healthy and end the back and forth. If it's really a competition, then leave us hanging and let the three guys compete.

Right now it seems to be a Trey Vs Darnold for number two that gets to play as 1 until Brock gets healthy and he's back in the saddle again. Even the Seahawks have more stability at eye position now than we do

SMH

Still I gotta be excited we have Brock Trey and Darnold. I just want them all healthy and get this pecking order locked down tight so I know who's jersey to buy my son!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I for one believe that John and Kyle have been straightforward in what they've said since they've been here

They're now saying that Brock playing ball like Jimmy but better with more elusiveness to extend plays and not committing as many foolish plays and turnovers is enough to beat Hurts and Mahomes and relegate Trey Lance to the bench and the trading block

If this is the case we need to listen to trade offers for Trey and if they're high enough you move him when the time is right and if it's not you keep him because he's a cheap option in case Brock can't go

Thing is for Trey it sure seems like him being drafted by the 49ers wasn't the fairy tale he likely figured it would be. He had now went through the highs of being a third overall to being at his third year with only four starts and having had to back up now Jimmy G and Brock Purdy.

If I were Trey I would want a fair shot to compete for the job because there's no way I could accept holding a clipboard for Brock or I would welcome a trade to where I could prove myself. I would figure that I declared for the draft because I knew I would go high to a team that intended to play me and not to a club where I would back up Jimmy G and the last pick of the following draft

As a 49er fan I just want the constant QB musical chairs thing to end. Find the QB. Keep him healthy and win the chip! I want this to be the last offseason we have to entertain who should be QB1. If it is going to be Brock Purdy let's get this guy healthy and end the back and forth. If it's really a competition, then leave us hanging and let the three guys compete.

Right now it seems to be a Trey Vs Darnold for number two that gets to play as 1 until Brock gets healthy and he's back in the saddle again. Even the Seahawks have more stability at eye position now than we do

SMH

Still I gotta be excited we have Brock Trey and Darnold. I just want them all healthy and get this pecking order locked down tight so I know who's jersey to buy my son!

just get him an 85
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

SMH

just get him an 85

My vote is on a #97 jersey - can't go wrong with that one.

Get it in the late 80s style but with Bosa on the back, that would be badass.
85 and 97 are sure things! Especially Bosa is sure to be here for a long time

I am old school so 80 was my guy but he's only 12 so he needs a jersey for one of todays stars
85 and 97 are sure things! Especially Bosa is sure to be here for a long time

I am old school so 80 was my guy but he's only 12 so he needs a jersey for one of todays stars

Well whichever jersey you settle on, I think it's awesome
You're doing that for your little man. I'm sure he will love whichever you settle on.

What has Darnold shown his his time in the NFL that would indicate 2-3 games wouldn't slip away? Wouldn't we also be hoping he improves the whole time?
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
https://youtu.be/v959NkGsG0o
david Lombardi def reads our forum. Listen to the beginning lmao

Lombardi basically said Trey stans are embarrassing.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I hope Trey isn't heartbroken if he doesn't win the starting job.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I hope Trey isn't heartbroken if he doesn't win the starting job.

It sounds like he is not even going to be given the chance. I won't hold it against him if he ask to be traded. I am a diehard Niners fan but he deserves better. Kyle is literally costing him millions by sitting him his entire rookie contract not even giving him an opportunity to earn that 2nd contract. If you weren't planning on developing him why did you even draft him? Let alone what you traded to get him. At 1st I thought Trey out of all the rookies went to the best team possible but it turns out he went to the worst. He might be a superstar right now if he went to a different team. Because they would have developed him and got him much needed reps. Also those teams would have built their offense around him but Kyle is such an ego maniac that he has to be the star of the offense. I am losing hope of the Niners ever having an elite QB again. Kyle just wants a game manager, Someone who is somewhere between 12-18 in the league. The sad thing is we are never going to draft that high again to get that franchise QB. Atleast not for a long while.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Yeah, pending to see how the elbow shakes out for Dirty, I think the writing is on the wall for Trey and his chance to stay here, let alone winning the starters job. We all love Trey and want nothing but the best for him. I hope this all has a happy ending for all.
Share 49ersWebzone