Originally posted by tankle104:
https://youtu.be/v959NkGsG0o
david Lombardi def reads our forum. Listen to the beginning lmao

• dj43
There is a lot of truth to what SmokeyJoe is saying - $3.5M guaranteed for a third stringer with incentives up to approx $10M? Lol that would be top 10 backup qb2 salary in 2022 and top 10-15 this year (I haven't seen a final list yet but it may be top 10). Definitely #1 amongst QB3.

it may just be a move we made because our other two QBs are relatively cheap - especially Purdys at less than a mil. Used that extra space as a luxury incase someone goes down, we have a better backup than we did last year.
i also heard there voting on a new backup qb rule because of what happened to us - may factor into this

The major reason they gave Darnold that much money was because of the uncertainty with both Lance and Purdy.

It begins with Purdy: Though we all hope he is ready to go for game 1, if he has a signficiant setback in his recovery which would result in him not being ready until October or later, we are stuck with a rookie or some retread vet. While the price might be right, the quality of play might be Johnson-level. That would only work if Lance balls out right from the jump.

Which brings us to the problem with Lance. If he doesn't ball out right away, or at least show significant progress, Lynch cannot let a 2-3 early games slip away hoping he improves.

All that to say, Lynch had to buy high in order to keep the "All In" sign on his desk. It is just the necessary price to reduce the worst case risk scenario.
Originally posted by dj43:
The major reason they gave Darnold that much money was because of the uncertainty with both Lance and Purdy.

It begins with Purdy: Though we all hope he is ready to go for game 1, if he has a signficiant setback in his recovery which would result in him not being ready until October or later, we are stuck with a rookie or some retread vet. While the price might be right, the quality of play might be Johnson-level. That would only work if Lance balls out right from the jump.

Which brings us to the problem with Lance. If he doesn't ball out right away, or at least show significant progress, Lynch cannot let a 2-3 early games slip away hoping he improves.

All that to say, Lynch had to buy high in order to keep the "All In" sign on his desk. It is just the necessary price to reduce the worst case risk scenario.

This is pretty much dead on, but I think most people don't realize or address the portion that insures against a poor showing from Lance in the offseason program. That's what a bunch of arguing has been about across these threads. The idea or possibility that Darnold could effectively be QB2 here. It's not a coincidence we've seen two of the most uniquely structured backup QB contracts over the last two seasons.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by dj43:

This is pretty much dead on, but I think most people don't realize or address the portion that insures against a poor showing from Lance in the offseason program. That's what a bunch of arguing has been about across these threads. The idea or possibility that Darnold could effectively be QB2 here. It's not a coincidence we've seen two of the most uniquely structured backup QB contracts over the last two seasons.

They're voting on a new rule for a 3rd qb incase something like what happened to us in the NFCC doesn't happen again. This may be a new trend anyways, going back to teams carrying 3 QBs.
They're voting on a new rule for a 3rd qb incase something like what happened to us in the NFCC doesn't happen again. This may be a new trend anyways, going back to teams carrying 3 QBs.

And I'm sure plenty of teams will take advantage of it, but they'll probably be teams that have questions through their depth chart at the position instead of just carrying 3 guys in case everybody dies. Team's can carry 3 qbs now, but simply choose to use that spot elsewhere.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

And I'm sure plenty of teams will take advantage of it, but they'll probably be teams that have questions through their depth chart at the position instead of just carrying 3 guys in case everybody dies. Team's can carry 3 qbs now, but simply choose to use that spot elsewhere.

don't quote me on this but i believe it's an emergency QB thing. I don't think they count towards the active roster but can play if needed.
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:

Well thats embarrassing...
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:

Well thats embarrassing...

We're famous! Hahaha or infamous… either way, go webzone!
I don't understand his point. Are there really people arguing that Lance deserves to start over a healthy Purdy?

Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
The cap penalties and dead money are extraordinary. He's not going anywhere this season unless the return is vast. Next year it becomes easier to trade him, and if Jordan Love remains trash, maybe he goes to Green Bay (assuming (a) he doesn't become really good during this time with Purdy injured or (b) Purdy comes back and remains effective or (c) Darnold doesn't surprise the world and undo the first five years of his career).

Less than 2 mill if traded

Where did you read that?

You mean AFTER the draft, post-June 1st? What good does that do us? We lose a competent back up and get zero return for the 2023 season, and ALSO lose valuable time his replacement would have in camp AND lose valuable cap space to sign his replacement.

EDIT—Oh and by the way, if we trade him post June first his cap number is still 5.5 million per over the cap. He'll count 5.5 million against the cap and not be here. His replacement will cost 2 to 8 million. So he'll be 7 to 13 million against the cap and not be here POST June 1st. And we get LITERALLY NOTHING for 2023 unless we trade him for a player, which then means MORE money against the cap for the new player.

https://overthecap.com/calculator/san-francisco-49ers

And if we do it before June 1st, man... 11 million...

You're not factoring in not paying him. Yes the dead hit is almost 11 mil. But his cap hit is already 9. If he's traded and we aren't paying him we're only losing 1.78

PRE-6/1 RELEASE

2023 Dead Cap: $20,153,117
2023 Cap Savings: $-10,851,678

PRE-6/1 TRADE
2023 Dead Cap: $11,081,918
2023Cap Savings: $-1,780,479

POST-6/1 RELEASE
2023 Dead Cap: $14,612,158
2024 Dead Cap: $5,540,959
2023 Cap Savings: $-5,310,719

POST-6/1 TRADE
2023 Dead Cap: $5,540,959
2023 Cap Savings: $3,760,480

Ad you're not factoring in we'd have to pay another QB regardless.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I don't understand his point. Are there really people arguing that Lance deserves to start over a healthy Purdy?

I don't think so. I think people are saying Lance is getting first crack in camp, and if he wows people (especially if Brock is still on the mend in the preseason or week 1), he could conceivably take the job back.
I don't think so. I think people are saying Lance is getting first crack in camp, and if he wows people (especially if Brock is still on the mend in the preseason or week 1), he could conceivably take the job back.

It's implied at a minimum in a lot of arguments here. There's also a wide range in opinions on what it would take for him to keep the job. If everyone's standard was it's Brock's job and Trey has to wow people to take it, there'd be a hell of a lot less back and forth on the issue.
The cap penalties and dead money are extraordinary. He's not going anywhere this season unless the return is vast. Next year it becomes easier to trade him, and if Jordan Love remains trash, maybe he goes to Green Bay (assuming (a) he doesn't become really good during this time with Purdy injured or (b) Purdy comes back and remains effective or (c) Darnold doesn't surprise the world and undo the first five years of his career).

Less than 2 mill if traded

Where did you read that?

You mean AFTER the draft, post-June 1st? What good does that do us? We lose a competent back up and get zero return for the 2023 season, and ALSO lose valuable time his replacement would have in camp AND lose valuable cap space to sign his replacement.

EDIT—Oh and by the way, if we trade him post June first his cap number is still 5.5 million per over the cap. He'll count 5.5 million against the cap and not be here. His replacement will cost 2 to 8 million. So he'll be 7 to 13 million against the cap and not be here POST June 1st. And we get LITERALLY NOTHING for 2023 unless we trade him for a player, which then means MORE money against the cap for the new player.

https://overthecap.com/calculator/san-francisco-49ers

And if we do it before June 1st, man... 11 million...

You're not factoring in not paying him. Yes the dead hit is almost 11 mil. But his cap hit is already 9. If he's traded and we aren't paying him we're only losing 1.78

PRE-6/1 RELEASE

2023 Dead Cap: $20,153,117
2023 Cap Savings: $-10,851,678

PRE-6/1 TRADE
2023 Dead Cap: $11,081,918
2023Cap Savings: $-1,780,479

POST-6/1 RELEASE
2023 Dead Cap: $14,612,158
2023 Cap Savings: $-5,310,719

POST-6/1 TRADE
2023 Dead Cap: $5,540,959
2023 Cap Savings: $3,760,480

Ad you're not factoring in we'd have to pay another QB regardless.
How much do you think we would pay a 3rd string qb? At most? Vet min. Most likely? It'll be a rookie we draft, we've already had pre draft visits because Kyle likes to draft young guys and have them in the stable.

But yes, it would cost us more money but obviously if we trade Lance - it wouldn't be for money savings. Trading or keeping him would cost around the same.

If he's traded, which I think a majority of people understand that's a big if, it would be what we get in return draft pick/player wise.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 27, 2023 at 9:14 PM ]
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

Pretty much my thinking.

Imo this works "fair" for everyone while not having to take too much heat in the media. Because of Purdy healing up - Trey gets a lot of reps resulting in a shot that he needs and deserves so we get a real good look. They spent a ton on him so it's worthwhile in that sense.

Now if Trey is winning it'll get interesting. My guess is Kyle rides that because that's his track record.

My best guess is Purdy isn't ready until a few games into the season and also, after all the damn injury bs we've been through, don't rush it.

I also believe if Lance is benched he will ask to be traded to a team where he can get on the field.
Share 49ersWebzone