There are 197 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by tankle104:
I would of been throwing up if Lawrence was on this team with this coaching staff doing that, but we all know that wouldn't have happened.

Go watch the film. A lot of that was all him.

Yeah it was disgusting but you're missing the point. Lance and Lawrence were in two different worlds. Lol to compare them or think it's comparable is wild. Lol

lance on that team would of been ugly as hell too. I don't think anyone would of had a good season with that staff/culture/players

you can't overcome all of that, no matter how good you are. He may not of played spectacular here but Lawrence would of looked exceptionally better in these circumstances than the ones he had his rookie year. That year should be burned from history. Lol that poor b*****d
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 27, 2023 at 4:51 PM ]
Yeah it was disgusting but you're missing the point. Lance and Lawrence were in two different worlds. Lol to compare them or think it's comparable is wild. Lol

lance on that team would of been ugly as hell too. I don't think anyone would of had a good season with that staff/culture/players

you can't overcome all of that, no matter how good you are. He may not of played spectacular here but Lawrence would of looked exceptionally better in these circumstances than the ones he had his rookie year. That year should be burned from history. Lol that poor b*****d

Even if he was here and played just as badly, would it have been justified to play him over a better player on the bench and handicap the team's ability to win games and compete?

Lawrence was free to f**k up given his potential AND the fact they didn't have another option and weren't in position to contend that season.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Even if he was here and played just as badly, would it have been justified to play him over a better player on the bench and handicap the team's ability to win games and compete?

Lawrence was free to f**k up given his potential AND the fact they didn't have another option and weren't in position to contend that season.

Right, although I do think Kyle may of played Lawrence over jimmy (I think that's the only qb from that draft who could of done that).

there is an aspect of this whole situation where the quality and expectations of this team hurt treys ability to get playing time. I can't think of a QB drafted top 3 who went to a team as good as ours AND had a quality starter already. That's why I never faulted him for not starting his rookie year, it made sense for the team and Lance as he needed to learn the ins and outs of being a pro and learning our system.
I would of been throwing up if Lawrence was on this team with this coaching staff doing that, but we all know that wouldn't have happened.

Who cares about Lawrence? There are plenty of examples of guys needing time to find their stride and you'll find VERY few if any QBs who came into the league at 21 and played great out of the gate.

To me it's not a case of disappointment in Lance, outside of the injuries, it's a testament to how well Brock had the team playing. Kyle does have to take the locker room into consideration. Trey was just unlucky in his injury happening so early in the season the team didn't even get a chance to rally around him. They obviously had to and did with Brock.

But Trey is a competitor. The best thing for him is to go into this camp hungry to win his job back. It will open things up for him and we'll see what he's capable of.

When you're handed the job and you have the pressure of being the guy the team traded so much for…it's a lot. You may play a bit tight in fear of making mistakes.

Brock got to go in with little expectations. I think few of us expected much from him. I know I felt our season was over. He blew me away with his play.

We'll see what happens now that the situations are flipped a bit. I think both guys step their game up. Trey playing loose and Brock building off the confidence he got playing last year.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
I am still not sold on Purdy. His size and arm scares the hell out of me. Also he seems to not like to step up in the pocket to throw. When he gets pressure on him he likes to run backwards to evade the pressure instead of just stepping up in the pocket to evade the pressure. When you start running backwards you only have 2 options as a QB, Either throw the ball away or force it somewhere. Unless you have Lamar Jackson type speed.

I think that's fair but the problem is you only play one of these guys. If you were going to gamble on their current abilities and their respective futures, especially in conjunction with the team's current situation, Purdy has a much stronger case. He's plan A for the moment. Plans can change.

It's not an expectation for him to be elite. I didn't think he was even serviceable in 2/3 starts and the Texans game he didn't put up anything for more than half the game… against the worst defense/team in the nfl that year. That's what bugs me about him. You really think Lance,Jones,Lawrence etc would of done that poorly?

Lawrence lost 6-13 against that Texans team with 2 INT and 25 of 47 passing.

Jones lost to the Raiders 24-30 where he was 13 of 31 passing.

So yes, and that's the danger when you make judgements on a tiny sample size. Jones and Lawrence have a large enough sample size for you to clearly forget those one off games.

That's why I said you can't compare peoples situations because Lawrence had probably the worst head coach in modern football history. Lol no one has a good season thay year on that team - now look at him with a good coach? You think Lawrence would of played like that under Kyle on this team? Lol come on man

That Texans game was this year under that coach. The same Lawrence who threw how many playoff picks in one game that gets glossed over because the Chargers s**t the bed.

So if a guy with as much experience as Lawrence had in college, and two full years as a starter in the NFL is fine then why not have more patience with Lance before judging him so harshly?

1. I never thought Lance was the right selection
2. Lawrence is exponentially better at everything in football than Lance and was considering a generational talent.
3. Lance is extremely inaccurate. Lawrence was clearly in a bad situation. The damn coach had scandals and horrible things coming out before the season is over.
4. I don't want to wait 4 seasons (which is about he would take to get enough experience to play like Jimmy) for anyone selected 3rd overall.
5. The same way I was always worried Jimmy was going to get hurt, is how I feel about Lance.
6. Most importantly, it isn't necessary when you have another qb who you don't have to wait for to play like a top QB. I'd rather give him time to see if he can sustain it, not give Lance time to see if he can score more than 10 PPG.

Not to dismiss your other points but I'm jumping straight to 6.

It isn't necessary thanks to Purdy, it's a luxury. But it's a luxury we have and can benefit from so why throw it away?

No idea what's going to happen but if Purdy is good to go week 1 it's a win, if he's not and Trey has to play a couple of games we can atleast get a definitive answer on where he's actually at.

If Purdy isn't ready to go week 1, then absolutely play Lance and I'll 1000% support and hope he has a good game. I was saying that more so if Purdy is healthy, I wouldn't let Trey play to try and continue developing him that way.

I don't think that's Kyle's way though. He'll play who he thinks can win.

If Trey does start week 1 I think the only way he holds off Purdy is if he balls out.

Again, that scenario is a win-win.

Lance might have to ball out to stay on this team let alone to get a shot to start with the guaranteed money they gave S.Darnold and the comments that were dropped today by our GM on Purdy.
Originally posted by genus49:

Who cares about Lawrence? There are plenty of examples of guys needing time to find their stride and you'll find VERY few if any QBs who came into the league at 21 and played great out of the gate.

To me it's not a case of disappointment in Lance, outside of the injuries, it's a testament to how well Brock had the team playing. Kyle does have to take the locker room into consideration. Trey was just unlucky in his injury happening so early in the season the team didn't even get a chance to rally around him. They obviously had to and did with Brock.

But Trey is a competitor. The best thing for him is to go into this camp hungry to win his job back. It will open things up for him and we'll see what he's capable of.

When you're handed the job and you have the pressure of being the guy the team traded so much for…it's a lot. You may play a bit tight in fear of making mistakes.

Brock got to go in with little expectations. I think few of us expected much from him. I know I felt our season was over. He blew me away with his play.

We'll see what happens now that the situations are flipped a bit. I think both guys step their game up. Trey playing loose and Brock building off the confidence he got playing last year.

Hopefully they both make each other better. I think darnold will help Lance too - because darnold has had some
of the rough experiences that Lance has play wise.

this really is a very solid qb room, maybe the best one in the league. (As a whole)
Originally posted by jcs:
I am still not sold on Purdy. His size and arm scares the hell out of me. Also he seems to not like to step up in the pocket to throw. When he gets pressure on him he likes to run backwards to evade the pressure instead of just stepping up in the pocket to evade the pressure. When you start running backwards you only have 2 options as a QB, Either throw the ball away or force it somewhere. Unless you have Lamar Jackson type speed.

I think that's fair but the problem is you only play one of these guys. If you were going to gamble on their current abilities and their respective futures, especially in conjunction with the team's current situation, Purdy has a much stronger case. He's plan A for the moment. Plans can change.

It's not an expectation for him to be elite. I didn't think he was even serviceable in 2/3 starts and the Texans game he didn't put up anything for more than half the game… against the worst defense/team in the nfl that year. That's what bugs me about him. You really think Lance,Jones,Lawrence etc would of done that poorly?

So yes, and that's the danger when you make judgements on a tiny sample size. Jones and Lawrence have a large enough sample size for you to clearly forget those one off games.

That's why I said you can't compare peoples situations because Lawrence had probably the worst head coach in modern football history. Lol no one has a good season thay year on that team - now look at him with a good coach? You think Lawrence would of played like that under Kyle on this team? Lol come on man

That Texans game was this year under that coach. The same Lawrence who threw how many playoff picks in one game that gets glossed over because the Chargers s**t the bed.

So if a guy with as much experience as Lawrence had in college, and two full years as a starter in the NFL is fine then why not have more patience with Lance before judging him so harshly?

2. Lawrence is exponentially better at everything in football than Lance and was considering a generational talent.
3. Lance is extremely inaccurate. Lawrence was clearly in a bad situation. The damn coach had scandals and horrible things coming out before the season is over.
4. I don't want to wait 4 seasons (which is about he would take to get enough experience to play like Jimmy) for anyone selected 3rd overall.
5. The same way I was always worried Jimmy was going to get hurt, is how I feel about Lance.
6. Most importantly, it isn't necessary when you have another qb who you don't have to wait for to play like a top QB. I'd rather give him time to see if he can sustain it, not give Lance time to see if he can score more than 10 PPG.

It isn't necessary thanks to Purdy, it's a luxury. But it's a luxury we have and can benefit from so why throw it away?

No idea what's going to happen but if Purdy is good to go week 1 it's a win, if he's not and Trey has to play a couple of games we can atleast get a definitive answer on where he's actually at.

If Purdy isn't ready to go week 1, then absolutely play Lance and I'll 1000% support and hope he has a good game. I was saying that more so if Purdy is healthy, I wouldn't let Trey play to try and continue developing him that way.

If Trey does start week 1 I think the only way he holds off Purdy is if he balls out.

Lance might have to ball out to stay on this team let alone to get a shot to start with the guaranteed money they gave S.Darnold and the comments that were dropped today by our GM on Purdy.

God make it stop…
God make it stop…

The contract parameters alone should have indicated he's not here to be an emergency QB3. He may end up in that role, but that will be because the other two guys played him into that position. That's what we were arguing previously. There simply is no QB3 contract like it in recent memory across the league. It should tell you something.

This should be further evidenced now with Lynch's comments today. Sam is here to compete. He's an insurance policy and another possible alternative for any situation which can include subpar play or injury.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Mar 27, 2023 at 5:28 PM ]
God make it stop…

The contract parameters alone should have indicated he's not here to be an emergency QB3. He may end up in that role, but that will be because the other two guys played him into that position. That's what we were arguing previously. There simply is no QB3 contract like it in recent memory across the league. It should tell you something.

This should be further evidenced now with Lynch's comments today. Sam is here to compete. He's an insurance policy and another possible alternative for any situation which can include subpar play or injury.

There is a lot of truth to what SmokeyJoe is saying - $3.5M guaranteed for a third stringer with incentives up to approx $10M? Lol that would be top 10 backup qb2 salary in 2022 and top 10-15 this year (I haven't seen a final list yet but it may be top 10). Definitely #1 amongst QB3.

it may just be a move we made because our other two QBs are relatively cheap - especially Purdys at less than a mil. Used that extra space as a luxury incase someone goes down, we have a better backup than we did last year.
i also heard there voting on a new backup qb rule because of what happened to us - may factor into this
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 27, 2023 at 5:42 PM ]
Originally posted by jcs:

No on Darnold and the comments from Lynch are basically what the majority are saying - Purdy earned QB1, but until he's cleared to fully participate, Trey has an opportunity to put his best foot forward.

God make it stop…

There is a lot of truth to what SmokeyJoe is saying - $3.5M guaranteed for a third stringer with incentives up to approx $10M? Lol that would be top 10 backup qb2 salary in 2022 and top 10-15 this year. Definitely #1 amongst QB3.

it may just be a move we made because our other two QBs are relatively cheap - especially Purdys at less than a mil. Used that extra space as a luxury incase someone goes down, we have a better backup than we did last year.
i also heard there voting on a new backup qb rule because of what happened to us - may factor into this

The incentives would depend on him playing. If that happens we're down to Plan C already.

He's a 3.5m insurance policy for a kid coming back from a broken ankle and a kid coming back from a UCL injury.

All things considered we needed that insurance policy so had to pay a bigger premium.
God make it stop…

There is a lot of truth to what SmokeyJoe is saying - $3.5M guaranteed for a third stringer with incentives up to approx $10M? Lol that would be top 10 backup qb2 salary in 2022 and top 10-15 this year. Definitely #1 amongst QB3.

The incentives would depend on him playing. If that happens we're down to Plan C already.

He's a 3.5m insurance policy for a kid coming back from a broken ankle and a kid coming back from a UCL injury.

All things considered we needed that insurance policy so had to pay a bigger premium.

We'll find out soon enough. If, and that's a big if, anything happens - it won't be for a while. Earliest is the draft, because we can always get an UDFA for reps. If the team really thinks Purdy will be ready for training camp - then this would mean more.

we just will have no idea for a while. If he gets traded - I hope we get awesome comp and I hope he gets a great situation.

then we will occupy our time by bashing Darnold. Muhahaha
Glad there's an open competition, but what Lynch said today isn't anything new with Purdy being the guy.
https://youtu.be/v959NkGsG0o
david Lombardi def reads our forum. Listen to the beginning lmao
They know if there's enough to build off of at this point. I don't think they need to see more playing time to make that decision. If they trade or keep him I trust their decision
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on Mar 27, 2023 at 6:27 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone