Originally posted by JaggedJ:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
I am still not sold on Purdy. His size and arm scares the hell out of me. Also he seems to not like to step up in the pocket to throw. When he gets pressure on him he likes to run backwards to evade the pressure instead of just stepping up in the pocket to evade the pressure. When you start running backwards you only have 2 options as a QB, Either throw the ball away or force it somewhere. Unless you have Lamar Jackson type speed.

I think that's fair but the problem is you only play one of these guys. If you were going to gamble on their current abilities and their respective futures, especially in conjunction with the team's current situation, Purdy has a much stronger case. He's plan A for the moment. Plans can change.

It's not an expectation for him to be elite. I didn't think he was even serviceable in 2/3 starts and the Texans game he didn't put up anything for more than half the game… against the worst defense/team in the nfl that year. That's what bugs me about him. You really think Lance,Jones,Lawrence etc would of done that poorly?

Lawrence lost 6-13 against that Texans team with 2 INT and 25 of 47 passing.

Jones lost to the Raiders 24-30 where he was 13 of 31 passing.

So yes, and that's the danger when you make judgements on a tiny sample size. Jones and Lawrence have a large enough sample size for you to clearly forget those one off games.

That's why I said you can't compare peoples situations because Lawrence had probably the worst head coach in modern football history. Lol no one has a good season thay year on that team - now look at him with a good coach? You think Lawrence would of played like that under Kyle on this team? Lol come on man

That Texans game was this year under that coach. The same Lawrence who threw how many playoff picks in one game that gets glossed over because the Chargers s**t the bed.

So if a guy with as much experience as Lawrence had in college, and two full years as a starter in the NFL is fine then why not have more patience with Lance before judging him so harshly?

1. I never thought Lance was the right selection
2. Lawrence is exponentially better at everything in football than Lance and was considering a generational talent.
3. Lance is extremely inaccurate. Lawrence was clearly in a bad situation. The damn coach had scandals and horrible things coming out before the season is over.
4. I don't want to wait 4 seasons (which is about he would take to get enough experience to play like Jimmy) for anyone selected 3rd overall.
5. The same way I was always worried Jimmy was going to get hurt, is how I feel about Lance.
6. Most importantly, it isn't necessary when you have another qb who you don't have to wait for to play like a top QB. I'd rather give him time to see if he can sustain it, not give Lance time to see if he can score more than 10 PPG.

Not to dismiss your other points but I'm jumping straight to 6.

It isn't necessary thanks to Purdy, it's a luxury. But it's a luxury we have and can benefit from so why throw it away?

No idea what's going to happen but if Purdy is good to go week 1 it's a win, if he's not and Trey has to play a couple of games we can atleast get a definitive answer on where he's actually at.

If Purdy isn't ready to go week 1, then absolutely play Lance and I'll 1000% support and hope he has a good game. I was saying that more so if Purdy is healthy, I wouldn't let Trey play to try and continue developing him that way.

honestly, a part of me wants Lance to get traded so he can get that experience. I just don't want it here as long as we have a player like Purdy as our option.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 27, 2023 at 3:53 PM ]
If Purdy isn't ready to go week 1, then absolutely play Lance and I'll 1000% support and hope he has a good game. I was saying that more so if Purdy is healthy, I wouldn't let Trey play to try and continue developing him that way.

honestly, a part of me wants Lance to get traded so he can get that experience. I just don't want it here as long as we have a player like Purdy as our option.

I agree with this to an extent. I think Purdy needs to be ready for at least part of preseason to agree with this. If he is cleared for full football activities right before week 1, then I think Trey gets the start. Now if Purdy gets to play some preseason or at least participate in full for a lot of camp, then its his job. He earned it.
I am still not sold on Purdy. His size and arm scares the hell out of me. Also he seems to not like to step up in the pocket to throw. When he gets pressure on him he likes to run backwards to evade the pressure instead of just stepping up in the pocket to evade the pressure. When you start running backwards you only have 2 options as a QB, Either throw the ball away or force it somewhere. Unless you have Lamar Jackson type speed.

I think that's fair but the problem is you only play one of these guys. If you were going to gamble on their current abilities and their respective futures, especially in conjunction with the team's current situation, Purdy has a much stronger case. He's plan A for the moment. Plans can change.

It's not an expectation for him to be elite. I didn't think he was even serviceable in 2/3 starts and the Texans game he didn't put up anything for more than half the game… against the worst defense/team in the nfl that year. That's what bugs me about him. You really think Lance,Jones,Lawrence etc would of done that poorly?

So yes, and that's the danger when you make judgements on a tiny sample size. Jones and Lawrence have a large enough sample size for you to clearly forget those one off games.

That's why I said you can't compare peoples situations because Lawrence had probably the worst head coach in modern football history. Lol no one has a good season thay year on that team - now look at him with a good coach? You think Lawrence would of played like that under Kyle on this team? Lol come on man

That Texans game was this year under that coach. The same Lawrence who threw how many playoff picks in one game that gets glossed over because the Chargers s**t the bed.

So if a guy with as much experience as Lawrence had in college, and two full years as a starter in the NFL is fine then why not have more patience with Lance before judging him so harshly?

2. Lawrence is exponentially better at everything in football than Lance and was considering a generational talent.
3. Lance is extremely inaccurate. Lawrence was clearly in a bad situation. The damn coach had scandals and horrible things coming out before the season is over.
4. I don't want to wait 4 seasons (which is about he would take to get enough experience to play like Jimmy) for anyone selected 3rd overall.
5. The same way I was always worried Jimmy was going to get hurt, is how I feel about Lance.
6. Most importantly, it isn't necessary when you have another qb who you don't have to wait for to play like a top QB. I'd rather give him time to see if he can sustain it, not give Lance time to see if he can score more than 10 PPG.

It isn't necessary thanks to Purdy, it's a luxury. But it's a luxury we have and can benefit from so why throw it away?

No idea what's going to happen but if Purdy is good to go week 1 it's a win, if he's not and Trey has to play a couple of games we can atleast get a definitive answer on where he's actually at.

I don't think that's Kyle's way though. He'll play who he thinks can win.

If Trey does start week 1 I think the only way he holds off Purdy is if he balls out.

Again, that scenario is a win-win.

If Trey does start week 1 I think the only way he holds off Purdy is if he balls out.

Right - I think we are saying the same thing, I just wrote it poorly. If Lance has to start because Purdy can't, then I'll support Lance, but once Purdy is healthy I'd want him starting again.

if Lance balls out - it def becomes trickier but it does become a good problem, like you said with the win/win. What's scary about that situation is then when do you pull the plug, if you do? If Lance has 2 or 3 consecutive games Of bad or average play? How would that impact the locker room and if you do that, what happens if Purdy comes out playing average? It could turn ugly kinda quick.

i think best scenario if Purdy can't play the first few weeks or so, and Lance balls, that before week 1 Kyle announced that it's Purdys when he is back. That way if Purdy struggles, the transition isn't as difficult on the team. Which may be why they said that they said today.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 27, 2023 at 4:02 PM ]
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
The cap penalties and dead money are extraordinary. He's not going anywhere this season unless the return is vast. Next year it becomes easier to trade him, and if Jordan Love remains trash, maybe he goes to Green Bay (assuming (a) he doesn't become really good during this time with Purdy injured or (b) Purdy comes back and remains effective or (c) Darnold doesn't surprise the world and undo the first five years of his career).

Less than 2 mill if traded

Where did you read that?

You mean AFTER the draft, post-June 1st? What good does that do us? We lose a competent back up and get zero return for the 2023 season, and ALSO lose valuable time his replacement would have in camp AND lose valuable cap space to sign his replacement.

EDIT—Oh and by the way, if we trade him post June first his cap number is still 5.5 million per over the cap. He'll count 5.5 million against the cap and not be here. His replacement will cost 2 to 8 million. So he'll be 7 to 13 million against the cap and not be here POST June 1st. And we get LITERALLY NOTHING for 2023 unless we trade him for a player, which then means MORE money against the cap for the new player.

https://overthecap.com/calculator/san-francisco-49ers

And if we do it before June 1st, man... 11 million...
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Mar 27, 2023 at 4:15 PM ]

Right - I think we are saying the same thing, I just wrote it poorly. If Lance has to start because Purdy can't, then I'll support Lance, but once Purdy is healthy I'd want him starting again.

if Lance balls out - it def becomes trickier but it does become a good problem, like you said with the win/win. What's scary about that situation is then when do you pull the plug, if you do? If Lance has 2 or 3 consecutive games Of bad or average play? How would that impact the locker room and if you do that, what happens if Purdy comes out playing average? It could turn ugly kinda quick.

i think best scenario if Purdy can't play the first few weeks or so, and Lance balls, that before week 1 Kyle announced that it's Purdys when he is back. That way if Purdy struggles, the transition isn't as difficult on the team. Which may be why they said that they said today.

It is tricky. On the other hand in that scenario making Lance go out there knowing that whatever he does won't be good enough could be detrimental too.

There's risk no matter what direction we go, but I'll trust the FO to stay on top of it whichever direction they think gives us the best chance of getting #6.

It is tricky. On the other hand in that scenario making Lance go out there knowing that whatever he does won't be good enough could be detrimental too.

There's risk no matter what direction we go, but I'll trust the FO to stay on top of it whichever direction they think gives us the best chance of getting #6.

Maybe, but sometimes it's a little liberating and he may not put the pressure on himself. Who knows. Lol I just hope that whoever is starting is making us proud.

I've been reading up on the coaches he's working with and I'm eager to read about Lance in OTA/camp this year. I'm critical of him but I'm rooting for him. I root for all 49ers.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Don't let the FO off the hook for things that were known before they drafted him.

Just keep in mind there were reports that people in the building thought he was more ready to start than Mac Jones, and based on their public comments they were open to starting him over Jimmy if he beat him out for the job.

They didn't necessarily think he was the project others did... which we'll likely never know until the decision costs someone a job. Either way, they are still ultimately responsible no matter how you slice it.

Mac Jones was even worse early on. He got up to below average by the end of his rookie year and has remained there. Trey probably would have been that good by now. His injuries played a big role in his development. But BROCK PURDY is they reason why it's more than likely we'll never realize his potential here. Assuming Purdy returns and is still effective, of course. And you know what? That's fine. I'll take it.

BUT Mac "never got to play with Kittle or CMC" (or Deebo or BA for that matter) also had Matt Patricia and not Kyle calling plays.

Trey barely did his rookie year. I'll give you Kyle though. But for the record I was one of the people who thought Mac was the MOST Pro-ready because of Sarkisian.
Trey barely did his rookie year. I'll give you Kyle though. But for the record I was one of the people who thought Mac was the MOST Pro-ready because of Sarkisian.

I did too. I thought it was a toss up between him or Lawrence. It was urban Meyer that made it unpredictable for me cause I wasn't sure what he would be running. Lol turns out he was running a s**t show. Hahha

Jones was the most pro ready, in hindsight. He started the year pretty well but he got worse as the year progressed. It seemed to me like he was struggling with the defenses adjusting to him because he wasn't making adjustments as quickly. Which is really typical for rookies.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

We got a couple people in here that sound like they would have traded Lawrence after his rookie season. You can't tell me otherwise if we're going off film. Dude was awful his rookie year

Less than 60% completion - would have been run out of town.

Had 7 INTS in 3 games. Sunshine would have been toast here lol

We got a couple people in here that sound like they would have traded Lawrence after his rookie season. You can't tell me otherwise if we're going off film. Dude was awful his rookie year

I would of been throwing up if Lawrence was on this team with this coaching staff doing that, but we all know that wouldn't have happened.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 27, 2023 at 4:28 PM ]

All that does is make what Brock Richard Purdy's done more remarkable.

Trey Lance.
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Mar 27, 2023 at 4:33 PM ]
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
Purdy got hurt as many time as Lance did this season.

Technically twice as much but his points are crap and overreacting anyways.
I would of been throwing up if Lawrence was on this team with this coaching staff doing that, but we all know that wouldn't have happened.

Go watch the film. A lot of that was all him.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
The cap penalties and dead money are extraordinary. He's not going anywhere this season unless the return is vast. Next year it becomes easier to trade him, and if Jordan Love remains trash, maybe he goes to Green Bay (assuming (a) he doesn't become really good during this time with Purdy injured or (b) Purdy comes back and remains effective or (c) Darnold doesn't surprise the world and undo the first five years of his career).

Less than 2 mill if traded

Where did you read that?

You mean AFTER the draft, post-June 1st? What good does that do us? We lose a competent back up and get zero return for the 2023 season, and ALSO lose valuable time his replacement would have in camp AND lose valuable cap space to sign his replacement.

EDIT—Oh and by the way, if we trade him post June first his cap number is still 5.5 million per over the cap. He'll count 5.5 million against the cap and not be here. His replacement will cost 2 to 8 million. So he'll be 7 to 13 million against the cap and not be here POST June 1st. And we get LITERALLY NOTHING for 2023 unless we trade him for a player, which then means MORE money against the cap for the new player.

https://overthecap.com/calculator/san-francisco-49ers

And if we do it before June 1st, man... 11 million...

You're not factoring in not paying him. Yes the dead hit is almost 11 mil. But his cap hit is already 9. If he's traded and we aren't paying him we're only losing 1.78

PRE-6/1 RELEASE

2023 Dead Cap: $20,153,117
2023 Cap Savings: $-10,851,678

PRE-6/1 TRADE
2023 Dead Cap: $11,081,918
2023Cap Savings: $-1,780,479

POST-6/1 RELEASE
2023 Dead Cap: $14,612,158
2024 Dead Cap: $5,540,959
2023 Cap Savings: $-5,310,719

POST-6/1 TRADE
2023 Dead Cap: $5,540,959