LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NotAFinga42:
Originally posted by plummerfan:
Who would/could have the 49ers drafted if they didn't trade up for Lance or a qb in general? Also, who would have they got in this years draft? Considering they got drake jackson in the 2nd. But they probably would have whiffed on this years 1st rounded since they passed up on qb's for S Thomas, and Headcase R Foster. McGriddle etc…. Did they really set the franchise back giving up that draft capital?

It's not giving up draft capital that sets franchises back if they whiff on a QB, it's the time they invest at the position. So for all who still think the move was a mistake, it still really hasn't set us back yet.

Considering the years they invested in Alex Smith this could be the same. But I doubt Trey has that timeframe these days in the nfl. Also,I always read how rams have no first rounders so I assumed it wasn't that big of a deal. Idk but I hope it works out with Lance.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by genus49:
Jimmy winning the SB is the goal, 100%. Let's go!

Trey Lance being the backup to Jimmy G in 2023 is a VASTLY different situation. And I'm sorry I just don't see Jimmy G becoming something he's not suddenly just because of being relegated to backup this season so us winning the SB with him doesn't mean he's the chosen one.

These are our free agents after this season
Jimmie Ward X
Samson Ebukam X
Emmanuel Moseley X
Azeez Al-Shaair X
Mike McGlinchey X
Robbie Gould X
Daniel Brunskill
Hassan Ridgeway
Charles Omenihu
Kerry Hyder
Maurice Hurst
Jeff Wilson
Jordan Willis
Kemoko Turay
Jake Brendel
Jason Verrett

That's 6 starters(granted Gould is a kicker so meh) but you also have Bosa due for an extension as well as maybe Aiyuk.

There are key depth pieces scheduled for unrestricted free agency, hell our dominant DL group only has 4 out of 10 guys who aren't up for new deals after this season. One of them is Bosa. Another one is Armstead whose contract balloons big time heading into next year.

We absolutely cannot afford to pay Jimmy what he would be worth if he wins the SB, even if he goes crazy in the playoffs.

Jimmie Ward is the only one I'd have as a real high priority. The other guys have been role players or the team has possible replacement already on thr roster. Like Moseley, for example. They've already chosen Greenlaw over Shaiir.

I think there are always solid safeties go unsigned even after the draft. Yes Jimmie Ward is a very solid safety, but I wouldn't be worried about the safety position. RT is a more concerning position. It may not be McGlinchey but we need to address this early in FA or via our high draft picks (2nd round?). I don't think Burford is fit to play tackle at the NFL level.

I am not sure about Mosley. It really depends on Ambry Thomas. It might be best to let Ambry compete for a starting position rather than handing him the job.
Nearly every player on that list above knows that they aren't secure in their jobs. Very few are in the NFL. It always depends on how good you play each season combined with health.
Considering the years they invested in Alex Smith this could be the same. But I doubt Trey has that timeframe these days in the nfl. Also,I always read how rams have no first rounders so I assumed it wasn't that big of a deal. Idk but I hope it works out with Lance.

The 9ers Invested their first round picks on a player based on potential ( Trey Lance ). The Rams traded away their draft picks for players who have already proven themselves In the league ( Ramsey, Stafford, Von Miller, ect ).

The aggressive approach has paid dividends for the Rams, hence them being super bowl champs, whilst the conservative approach the 9ers prefer has helped keep them competitive, but not quite good enough to help push them over the top.
Glad the surgery went well and he's already in zoom meetings. Take full advantage of your time off, kid. Study every week like you're the starter. Add more good habits. Learn. Grow. Many great QB's sat for years learning first.
Originally posted by Sickaa:

The 9ers Invested their first round picks on a player based on potential ( Trey Lance ). The Rams traded away their draft picks for players who have already proven themselves In the league ( Ramsey, Stafford, Von Miller, ect ).

The aggressive approach has paid dividends for the Rams, hence them being super bowl champs, whilst the conservative approach the 9ers prefer has helped keep them competitive, but not quite good enough to help push them over the top.

Truth. You get the feeling the Rams FO simply asks, "Can this guy help us right now?"

Here, you get the sense, the FO asks, "Will he disrupt the chemistry, how much will he cost now and the future, will he take others snaps, who gets demoted, does he fit the 49er way, etc."
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 24, 2022 at 9:25 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

Truth. You get the feeling the Rams FO simply asks, "Can this guy help us right now?"

Here, you get the sense, the FO asks, "Will he disrupt the chemistry, how much will he cost now and the future, will he take others snaps, who gets demoted, does he fit the 49er way, etc."

It sure seems that way, doesn't it?

The 9ers have always had the same mentality under Lynch "we like our guys".

Whilst the Rams aren't really thinking about what might happen 5 or 10 years from now. They are simply trying to win super bowls right now with their aggressive approach to team building.

Whilst the Rams aren't really thinking about what might happen 5 or 10 years from now. They are simply trying to win super bowls right now with their aggressive approach to team building.
it's not like they were a power house.. They should have lost every game in the post season. We had the better team minus QB
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

it's not like they were a power house.. They should have lost every game in the post season. We had the better team minus QB

They didn't lose them though, did they? They won some close competitive games on their way to winning a super bowl.

It's not like we haven't had the chance to upgrade the QB position.. Instead, we took a gamble and Invested all that draft capital who's still yet to make any type of Impact.

What happens If Lance flames out? What's the plan? We could be stuck In neutral looking for that QB to help us win a super bowl.
I guess the good news is he won't get beat up this year behind that oline. Hopefully next year we will be more solid at the position.

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

They didn't lose them though, did they? They won some close competitive games on their way to winning a super bowl.

It's not like we haven't had the chance to upgrade the QB position.. Instead, we took a gamble and Invested all that draft capital who's still yet to make any type of Impact.

What happens If Lance flames out? What's the plan? We could be stuck In neutral looking for that QB to help us win a super bowl.

The plan is fire everyone then 3 year rebuild. The 5 year rebuild is just complete bs. The average NFL career isn't even that long. A team can go from bottom to the top in 3 years if everything is done correctly.

So we should suck for picks for 2 years then go for it in year 3.
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
I guess the good news is he won't get beat up this year behind that oline. Hopefully next year we will be more solid at the position.

It'd be the 14th season since Trent was drafted. Don't count your eggs before they hatch.
Maiocco brought up a great point. When Garoppolo got hurt week 3 in 2018, he spent the whole season with Mike Shanahan watching film. I bet Trey does the same.
Maiocco brought up a great point. When Garoppolo got hurt week 3 in 2018, he spent the whole season with Mike Shanahan watching film. I bet Trey does the same.

He better not spend his time playing video games like Kyler Murray.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

He better not spend his time playing video games like Kyler Murray.

Or throwing $$$ at $tripper$.
Share 49ersWebzone