LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I looked at several sites and his height is a mystery. I've seen 5'11" and I've seen 6'1 1/2. Maybe he doesn't always stand up straight when he's measured. Tim Ryan called him almost 6'2". Let's just say he's at least 6 feet and likely a little more. Safe to say he's at least 2 inches taller and about 10-15 lbs heavier than Hill. I know Hill had a faster 40 but he was faster than Mostert too who had a higher top speed recorded. I'm sure if he continues to break long pass plays they will be recording his top end.

Danny Gray's height is 6'0". Tim Ryan isn't a reliable source. He said Drake Jackson was 273 pounds, but Drake said the next day that he's 260 lol.

If you want reliable height/weight, go to the NFL.com draft profiles. They use information from the combine.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/danny-gray/32004752-4163-4809-531b-babc7b7cfc27
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Trey is going to have all the NIner fans expecting plays like this every week.

That works both ways. So will opposing teams (as long as he keeps hitting them), which should open up the underneath stuff and help the run game.

Go watch the falcons SB run when KS was OC. Tons of YT breakdowns about why he would make a good HC

KS knows how to attack a defense.

If the D leaves deep shots open Trey can hit them and KS will dial them up

If the D protects against the pass KS will gladly run 40 times a game (we did it multiple times in our 2019 playoff run)

The season cant come soon enough....our team is in good shape to be special this year

That year, Matt Ryan had a whopping 9.3 Yards/Attempt average, and an enormous 10.1 Air Yards/Attempt.
He attempted about 33 throws a game and nearly completed 70% of his passes.
A little over 25% of his throws were to Julio Jones and it looks like a healthy distribution to the other skill position players.

The Falcons were #5 in rushing.

To me, it sounds like the Falcons did what we want to do. They ran the ball. They used the play action. They a had a smart, strong-armed pocket QB who could make the throws all over the field. They had an elite WR in Julio Jones who could beat anything.

This article has a lot of interesting stats about what Matt Ryan did in the Shanahan offense:
https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/falcons-offense-has-historically-great-regular-season-18378527

Obviously, Trey Lance is a different kind of QB. Julio Jones is a different kind of WR than Deebo and Aiyuk. We have a George Kittle and Kyle Juszczyk.
I'm excited to see what Shanahan does with all the toys.
  • NDSU
  • Veteran
No comments about Lance and Deebo practicing the triple option?
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Love our HC
Originally posted by Silky:
Love our HC

Lol WTF
Looks like a typo on the HC
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
Originally posted by NotAFinga42:

I'm bullish on Lance but I don't expect him to have an MVP like season this year. I'd absolutely love to be wrong on that but I just don't see him really exploding until year 3 or 4.

I don't think he needs to have an MVP like season to get and win the Super Bowl this season I just expect some ups and downs and I don't think he'll put the kind of numbers up needed to be in that conversation. Especially in this offense where if it's clicking like Kyle wants he'll run the ball 40 times and have Lance throw it around 20 times.

Trey doesn't play in a system where he'll probably ever have MVP-like numbers. Hell, Kyle just said the other day it won't be on Trey. MVP QB's typically play in pass-centric offenses.

But you're right...Trey could still win a Superbowl by simply managing the offense, being highly efficient, clutch and explosive when needed.

RGIII was ROY and Matt Ryan was an MVP under Kyle. MVP is certainly not my expectations for Trey this year but I believe it could be a real possibility in the next 2-3 years if Trey can take is game to the next level.

Guys like Peyton Manning or Patrick Mahomes throw 40, 50 times a game because their offense is centered around them. But for us, we'll run the ball a lot more.
There will probably, and hopefully, be games where Trey throws the ball less than 20 times because we're running the ball so well.

As Trey evolves though, it'll be interesting to see how Shanahan chooses to attack a team. Lance's skillset means that Shanahan could conceivably do anything. It's just a matter of Trey developing to that point.

I don't expect an offensive philosophy change. We will always be a run first offense under Kyle. However, wasn't Matt Ryan the MVP inspite the Falcons offense being ranked in the bottom 3rd in pass attempts in 2016?
26th in passing attempts.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NDSU:

Likely trying to throw other DC's off. Can't imagine they'd allow media to record it if they actually planned to run it in games. If they do it would be only a couple of times per season. That's a lot of risk for fumbles, injuries, etc.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
Originally posted by NotAFinga42:

I'm bullish on Lance but I don't expect him to have an MVP like season this year. I'd absolutely love to be wrong on that but I just don't see him really exploding until year 3 or 4.

I don't think he needs to have an MVP like season to get and win the Super Bowl this season I just expect some ups and downs and I don't think he'll put the kind of numbers up needed to be in that conversation. Especially in this offense where if it's clicking like Kyle wants he'll run the ball 40 times and have Lance throw it around 20 times.

Trey doesn't play in a system where he'll probably ever have MVP-like numbers. Hell, Kyle just said the other day it won't be on Trey. MVP QB's typically play in pass-centric offenses.

But you're right...Trey could still win a Superbowl by simply managing the offense, being highly efficient, clutch and explosive when needed.

RGIII was ROY and Matt Ryan was an MVP under Kyle. MVP is certainly not my expectations for Trey this year but I believe it could be a real possibility in the next 2-3 years if Trey can take is game to the next level.

Guys like Peyton Manning or Patrick Mahomes throw 40, 50 times a game because their offense is centered around them. But for us, we'll run the ball a lot more.
There will probably, and hopefully, be games where Trey throws the ball less than 20 times because we're running the ball so well.

As Trey evolves though, it'll be interesting to see how Shanahan chooses to attack a team. Lance's skillset means that Shanahan could conceivably do anything. It's just a matter of Trey developing to that point.

I don't expect an offensive philosophy change. We will always be a run first offense under Kyle. However, wasn't Matt Ryan the MVP inspite the Falcons offense being ranked in the bottom 3rd in pass attempts in 2016?

We'll have to see if there continues to be a big difference in YOLO OC Kyle and HC Kyle.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Furlow:

Likely trying to throw other DC's off. Can't imagine they'd allow media to record it if they actually planned to run it in games. If they do it would be only a couple of times per season. That's a lot of risk for fumbles, injuries, etc.

I think the RPO - Trey can hand off inside (Maybe to Mitchell) or toss it to Deebo on the outside, or he can pass it if they overload the run. Trey does not have to keep the ball on those plays.

Originally posted by Silky:
Love our HC

He's not wrong. Injuries, pass protection, run blocking and pass coverage is what will make or break our season.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:

I think the RPO - Trey can hand off inside (Maybe to Mitchell) or toss it to Deebo on the outside, or he can pass it if they overload the run. Trey does not have to keep the ball on those plays.

True but once he becomes a runner then he's no longer protected as a QB. The option works best when the QB takes a hit so he can take a defender away from the RB. Obviously we don't want that. RPO - agreed, we'll use that (I still hope it's sparingly). I was addressing the triple option play that we saw from practice.
Originally posted by Giedi:

True but once he becomes a runner then he's no longer protected as a QB. The option works best when the QB takes a hit so he can take a defender away from the RB. Obviously we don't want that. RPO - agreed, we'll use that (I still hope it's sparingly). I was addressing the triple option play that we saw from practice.

Fun fact you know who ran some of the most RPOs from the 2021 draft class? Mac Jones...RPOs (run-pass options) aren't the same thing as the "read" options. Basically all you have to do is read one defender's actions, then either hand the ball off or pass it to a predetermined route.
He's not wrong. Injuries, pass protection, run blocking and pass coverage is what will make or break our season.

I think Kyle and the rest of the team are doing their best to take as much pressure off Trey as possible, Even though Trey is putting alot of pressure on himself. Can't really say "We are going to go as far as Trey takes us" Or "If Trey has growing pains we aren't going to win many games" Both of those statements wouldn't be accurate anyways. Trey can be average in year 1 as a starter and this team could still rack up double digit wins.
Originally posted by Heroism:
I looked at several sites and his height is a mystery. I've seen 5'11" and I've seen 6'1 1/2. Maybe he doesn't always stand up straight when he's measured. Tim Ryan called him almost 6'2". Let's just say he's at least 6 feet and likely a little more. Safe to say he's at least 2 inches taller and about 10-15 lbs heavier than Hill. I know Hill had a faster 40 but he was faster than Mostert too who had a higher top speed recorded. I'm sure if he continues to break long pass plays they will be recording his top end.

Danny Gray's height is 6'0". Tim Ryan isn't a reliable source. He said Drake Jackson was 273 pounds, but Drake said the next day that he's 260 lol.

If you want reliable height/weight, go to the NFL.com draft profiles. They use information from the combine.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/danny-gray/32004752-4163-4809-531b-babc7b7cfc27

Yeah I got with mockdraftable

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/danny-gray

bro ain't 6-2 lol
Share 49ersWebzone